Spot on viewfinder

hopecount

Jun 16, 2008
Jurong
Hey guys! Recently I noticed a dust speck on my viewfinder. It does not appear on my snaps and im pretty sure it's not my lens. Can it be my sensor? Iv tried to wipe my viewfinder several times but it seems to have no effect.

Oh yea the speck remains the same at both ends of focus.

It is probably the viewfinder and/or focusing screen...

I won't worry about it, it's a common problem, and as you say, it doesn't affect your shooting.

If it's really large you can try blowing the VF/focusing screen, but I won't touch either without reading up carefully first, I did it once for a film camera and had to throw the focusing screen away.

yup im having the same problem also haha.. just let it be.. =)

see whether it help with adjust the diopter? It will be lighter either ways.

It is probably the viewfinder and/or focusing screen...

I won't worry about it, it's a common problem, and as you say, it doesn't affect your shooting.

If it's really large you can try blowing the VF/focusing screen, but I won't touch either without reading up carefully first, I did it once for a film camera and had to throw the focusing screen away.

yup im having the same problem also haha.. just let it be.. =)

Agreed to that.. is really a very common problem... i also have it... i think almost everyone have it... :) just let it be.. no need to worry about it...

Last edited:
don't worry about that speck, you will have more in due time.

see whether it help with adjust the diopter? It will be lighter either ways.

erm.. in any case, adjusting the diopter will make everything u see in viewfinder to be blur, just creating another problem by doing that?

Unless the dust is pricking your eye or it makes your subjects having an extra mole on their cheeks, I am sure you can just live with it. Lolx....

Yes. Agree. if thsi teh case, adjust toward another direction to be clear.
erm.. in any case, adjusting the diopter will make everything u see in viewfinder to be blur, just creating another problem by doing that?

Hey guys! Recently I noticed a dust speck on my viewfinder. It does not appear on my snaps and im pretty sure it's not my lens. Can it be my sensor? Iv tried to wipe my viewfinder several times but it seems to have no effect.

Oh yea the speck remains the same at both ends of focus.

The dust is on the mirror. Use a blower to clean it will do.

The dust is on the mirror. Use a blower to clean it will do.

Could be mirror, could be on the focusing screen. could be on the pentamirror/prism, could even be on the glass of the Viewfinder window..

use the pump to blow the dust off ~ should work i guess?

mine viewfinder also the same. I've tried with blower to blow but it still the same. When adjusted the diopter, the spot become lighter and almost not appear (toward anti-clockwise direction). Once you turn clockwise, the spot came back.

Therefore, i nvr care abt it since it is common.

You can have a try and post your outcome.

mine viewfinder also the same. I've tried with blower to blow but it still the same. When adjusted the diopter, the spot become lighter and almost not appear (toward anti-clockwise direction). Once you turn clockwise, the spot came back.

Therefore, i nvr care abt it since it is common.

You can have a try and post your outcome.

All you are doing is making the dust spot look out of focus... and each time you use the viewfinder, your eye will strain to focus... used a ill-adjusted diopter long enough, you will get eye problems... and fatigue.

I thought the knob beside the viewfinder works like the focus. Like if you turn when the image is sharp, it'll go blur and stuff. If so, won't it affect how I can judge the point of focus?

I thought the knob beside the viewfinder works like the focus. Like if you turn when the image is sharp, it'll go blur and stuff. If so, won't it affect how I can judge the point of focus?

Don't touch the diopter if you find the focus already sharp enough. As for dust on your viewfinder, it is a common issues, dust are everywhere, just leave it. Don't try to wipe it with cloth or anything, you might end up scratching it and the cost of repair is not worth it.

anyway, it does and help on the situation. ;)
All you are doing is making the dust spot look out of focus... and each time you use the viewfinder, your eye will strain to focus... used a ill-adjusted diopter long enough, you will get eye problems... and fatigue.

Since it not help on your case. Forget it and adjust it until clear focus.