Spot metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Having so used the Nikon's spot metering function, I'm not sure if I'll have a problem when I change to a Canon system (EOS 30/33).

Does spot metering make such a big difference compared to center-weighted?

How do Canon users do metering at a spot?

for me, I zoom in more and meter at the desired spot, then zoom out again to previous levle and either switch to manual mode or compensate accordingly.
Necroist said:
Having so used the Nikon's spot metering function, I'm not sure if I'll have a problem when I change to a Canon system (EOS 30/33).

Does spot metering make such a big difference compared to center-weighted?

How do Canon users do metering at a spot?

Well, i;m using EOS 30 and it does not offer spot metering. However, it does offers partial metering which covers 9.5% of the screen. In practical term, the viewfinder view of EOS 30 has 7 focusing squares, the middle square has a circle ard it, that is 9.5%. Hence for partial metering, exposure is determined solely by whatever you metered on in the 9.5% of the viewfinder.
For center weight, 60% of the exposure is determined by the 9.5% circle while 40% from the rest of the screen. I usually dont use center weighted, i always shoot in partial metering mode and thus far , it has given me pretty decent control my exposures.

Status
Not open for further replies.