'Spot metering' for Canon EOS 1000D

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersane

Deregistered
Dec 29, 2008
Hi all,

I'm new to photography and have some noob questions regarding my 1000D.

I understand that 1000D does not have spot metering, but seems that if I activate Live View and set AF mode to Live (contrast detection), I can choose which area to focus by moving the AF point. I also noticed that exposure is somehow taken from the same AF point. Is this one way I can actually do spot metering on my 1000D? :think:

Anyone else has this similar experience? Hope someone can help to advice, thanks!

What metering mode are you using? Partial metering?

Sorry for late reply, I am using evaluative metering, but during liveview, you get to shift the AF 'box' around, seems like exposure also taken from the same 'box'. Or is evaluative metering still on?

if u r using zoom lens, u can use partial metering (which is a fat spot metering) and zoom in all the way and point to where u wants t meter, lock the exposure, zoom back out and recompose.

but of cause, if u already zoomed in to take the photo, than this method dont work.:bsmilie:

if u r using zoom lens, u can use partial metering (which is a fat spot metering) and zoom in all the way and point to where u wants t meter, lock the exposure, zoom back out and recompose.

but of cause, if u already zoomed in to take the photo, than this method dont work.:bsmilie:

hmm that's a good idea, i'll try it out, thanks so much!

Eh.. Bro What a good technique! Amazing logic. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Mahathir

Its the AE lock function. Pretty good feature if you worry about overexposure and underexposure.

Yea it's what I do as well. That, or use manual mode.

Another newbie here :) . I thought live view is for focusing(manual) and metering is for exposure? thanks

Another newbie here :) . I thought live view is for focusing(manual) and metering is for exposure? thanks

You are partly correct on LV, and correct for metering. LV is also for convenience sake, like when you're shooting low, or shooting from up high (above heads, for example).

er... manual mode not equal to spot metering.

I meant, when the environment is a difficult one to shoot in (backlighting, black tuxedo, white school uniform etc) I would use manual mode and chimp / read histograms for the exposure metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.