Spot Focusing - Will overusing it spoil the sensor at that spot?

Mercy77

Jan 14, 2011
Hi People,

I prefer using spot focusing to control where the focus of the shot would be.

However, I understand from a photographer that if you use the center focus point all the time, it would spoil the sensor at that point.

Is there any truth to this?

Don't worry, these integrated ciruits which control AF have a lifespan wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer than the other mechanical parts on your cam! And those mech parts again prob last wayyyyyyyy longer than what the avg hobbiyst puts them thru before the next upgrade!

I've never heard of anything like that... I use plenty of spot focusing too, and even if it does spoil the sensor, it won't stop me from using it. Like I wouldn't stop driving even though I know it will spoil the car.

Hi People,

However, I understand from a photographer that if you use the center focus point all the time, it would spoil the sensor at that point.

how did u arrive to this deduction? and where did u hear that from? and also, from ur own theory, what are the factors that will cause the AF point to spoil when u use it frequently?

this is so unheard of in the first place.

Everything fails after some time, no doubt, but for the AF to spoil within ur time of of usage is negligible.

Look at TV made 20 - 30 years ago, most of them can still be functional, considering technology 20 - 30 years old.

Now look at electronics made 20 - 30 years later, more reliable? Yes. Unless u r so lucky to get a dud. ;)

I think we should spend more time thinking about the quality of out photos than worry about the life of our equipment. These equipment are not that delicate that it breaks down easily

Given enough time and use, everything fails, but this seems REALLY far-fetched.

Did the photographer who told you this experience it himself (if so, it might be a freak incident), or did he hear it from someone else, who heard it from someone, ad infinitum. That's how many pointless rumours are spread, and there are many in the photographic community.

Bear in mind:
- there are tons of photographers out there who use the centre focus spot almost all the time
- many of these shoot thousands of frames every year
- there haven't been any mass complaints of centre focus spot failure AFAIK - isolated cases, yes, but these are down to chance.

Just use what's best for you, take care of your gear, backup at impt shoots, and stop worrying about equipment failure.

First, there is no 'Spot Focusing' - only the selected usage of single focus points or (in newer cameras) groups of AF points. Secondly, many people have cameras from the early days of AF, never heard of any specific wear and tear of a single sensor. These cameras are now more than 25 years old.
Stop worrying about urban myths, go shooting.

Hi People,

i always thought it was the lens that was doing the focussing, not the sensor...

Thanks people. From all your experience, I guess it is a myth. I can now bury this nagging thought and put the nail to the coffin.

The photographer that told me this uses a film slr for 30 years. Maybe it has to do with film SLRs. Or maybe I misunderstood him to be the lens instead?

And yes shoot more.

great... happy spot shooting.

I got 2 eyes, i use them everyday. Do you guys think i should tape up my left eye so that i can safe-keep that eye in-case my right eye fail due to wear and tear?

anyway, just kidding. pls go and shoot and worry less on such things :)

let's call mythbusters and settle this once and for all.
:bsmilie:

i always thought it was the lens that was doing the focussing, not the sensor...

And where shall the lens get the focus command from? The lens has no sensors in the line of light, the picture is only focused on the focal plane. The mirror reflects a portion of light to the AF sensors, which are in the same optical position as the focal plane, but at the bottom of the mirror chamber. Based on that and some computation the camera gives the focus command to the lens, something like "turn AF system 2.8 degrees left". In Single AF mode that's all what happens, no further verification is done. Only in AF Servo (Continuous AF) the cycle starts again.

The photographer that told me this uses a film slr for 30 years. Maybe it has to do with film SLRs. Or maybe I misunderstood him to be the lens instead?

Ah. maybe he's a bit behind and thought it's a mechanical part? I'm guessing he may not fully understand the nature of electronics.

yes, so please use manual focusing only (pun intended)

why worry here and there?:dunno:

Quick answer is "no".

Suggest to share who this photographer is, so that no other hapless newbie takes his good advice in future.

Quick answer is "no".

Suggest to share who this photographer is, so that no other hapless newbie takes his good advice in future.[/QUOTE]

His name is....

Oh come on... Everybody have their own bad experience which cause them to think it's the truth.

Myth debunk for all newbies.

Oh come on... Everybody have their own bad experience which cause them to think it's the truth.

Myth debunk for all newbies.

Then at the very least perhaps TS should share the feedback from this thread with said photographer.

It is not good to go around spreading myths unless you have verified them thoroughly. One should be able to exercise a certain degree of rationality as an adult. For example, just because I looked up at a HDB block and a bird deposited something in my eye doesn't mean that I should go around telling people around HDB blocks not to look out because of... Birds and their deposits..

And where shall the lens get the focus command from? The lens has no sensors in the line of light, the picture is only focused on the focal plane. The mirror reflects a portion of light to the AF sensors, which are in the same optical position as the focal plane, but at the bottom of the mirror chamber. Based on that and some computation the camera gives the focus command to the lens, something like "turn AF system 2.8 degrees left". In Single AF mode that's all what happens, no further verification is done. Only in AF Servo (Continuous AF) the cycle starts again.

the focus command will come from the camera's electronics, but the optical focussing of the light rays is done by the lens - the sensor captures the light as directed on it by the focussing of the various lens elements, and process them to give us the picture file