Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Just over the weekend, i have seen 3 incidents of lack of sportsmenship. The interesting thing is it comes from 3 different sports and 3 top players.

Top of the list is Michael Jordan's induction to the Hall of fame. On his day of glory, instead of acknowledging the assistance of his coaches, fellow players etc, he chose to be petty. Those who are interested to know more can see this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...8.S8vLYF?slug=ap-halloffame&prov=ap&type=lgns

As a basketball player and someone who absolutely loves NBA, many times people has asked me who is my favourite player or who is the greatest player, i have NEVER say MJ and he just proved me right. I have always thought of him as a great player, fierce competitor but my favourite player and greatest player will always be Magic Johnson.

Then moving over to US Open, it really amazed me and definitely Kim Cjlisters when she see how Serena Williams berates at the tiny Asian line judge when it is clear and Serena Williams even admitted in post-match interview, that she did have a foot fault. Again, Serena has never been my fav tennis player (for the record, i think Venus is a better character), nor has Hingis etc.

For the record, she was just being fined US$6,000 (which is peanuts, not Mrs Goh's version though) for unsportsmen behaviour and US$500 for throwing her racket. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8253809.stm

The maximum penalty: "
The rule book states that such a violation "shall subject a player to a fine of up to $250,000 or the amount of prize money won at the tournament, whichever is greater".
It also states that a player can be permanently suspended from play in all Grand Slams and/or the Tennis Masters Cup if found guilty."

This shd be what she shd be getting for her bad behaviour given that she is non-repentent even in the post match interview and this is one of the many incidents that she's involved in.

Last but not least, we have the Arsenal vs Man City match, where Adebayor kicks out at Robin Van Persie and later celebrate his goal by running the full length of the pitch to his former supporters. Sure, i understand that he feels unwanted at Arsenal but certainly the supporters must have seen something in his performance to think that way. Also, given the recent incident in the Millwall vs West Ham match, he should have at least not goaded at the Arsenal supporters. IMHO, he should be celebrating the goal in the warm embrace of the Man City supporters. As the saying goes, the best revenge is to live well.
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5556290,00.html

For the RVP incident, i do hope that he get punished if he really intend to hurt a fellow professional. I also wondered if Arsene is to blame as his team and players seemed to have questionable behaviours... we have the recent incident of the Eduardo dive, the gallas bustup and not to mention the numerous red cards they picked up last time. Perhaps he has indulged and tolerated their bad behaviours for the players' talent.

Because of his success and talent, Michael Jordan is a highly 'abused' player in NBA. Everyone loves to hate MJ, except the Bulls fans of cos.
Think all those past 'abuses' are creeping back into his mind again at old age. Pity.

I love Magic Johnson too!!

Because of his success and talent, Michael Jordan is a highly 'abused' player in NBA. Everyone loves to hate MJ, except the Bulls fans of cos.
Think all those past 'abuses' are creeping back into his mind again at old age. Pity.

I love Magic Johnson too!!
HeipiGu, i don't "hate" Jordan. In fact, i love his talents, his competitiveness.. just not his character... Just like what he says when Tex Winter told him there's no "I" in TEAM, he replys there's "I" in WIN. The players i really admire is Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, David Robinson, Akeem, Kareem etc.. all the old school guys... maybe this is a product of the US education and social system... Of the younger generation, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul etc gets my votes..

HeipiGu, i don't "hate" Jordan. In fact, i love his talents, his competitiveness.. just not his character... Just like what he says when Tex Winter told him there's no "I" in TEAM, he replys there's "I" in WIN. The players i really admire is Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, David Robinson, Akeem, Kareem etc.. all the old school guys... maybe this is a product of the US education and social system... Of the younger generation, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul etc gets my votes..

Sorry, I dun meant hate literally. I think most if not all basketball fans admire Jordan tremendously, but will 'hate' him during the Championships.
I still remembered vividly how Jordan and the Bull beat my beloved Magic and Lakers for their first Championship ring. I really start to 'hate' Jordan from there on, haha.

Magic and Bird is classic, irreplaceable. I read a lot of Basketball Bios including those of Magic, Bird and Jordan. In those bios, all will mention about Jordan getting
the flake from other players, most notably from Isiah Thomas. I understand Jordan mentioned about Isiah in his speech. The history of Detroit Bad Boys and the
Bulls goes way back, bad seeds were sowed.

I like all the players from the first Dream Team. They were the tattoo-less, suit-wearing, basketball players. Nowadays, I dun watch NBA anymore.

Sorry, I dun meant hate literally. I think most if not all basketball fans admire Jordan tremendously, but will 'hate' him during the Championships.
I still remembered vividly how Jordan and the Bull beat my beloved Magic and Lakers for their first Championship ring. I really start to 'hate' Jordan from there on, haha.

Magic and Bird is classic, irreplaceable. I read a lot of Basketball Bios including those of Magic, Bird and Jordan. In those bios, all will mention about Jordan getting
the flake from other players, most notably from Isiah Thomas. I understand Jordan mentioned about Isiah in his speech. The history of Detroit Bad Boys and the
Bulls goes way back, bad seeds were sowed.

I like all the players from the first Dream Team. They were the tattoo-less, suit-wearing, basketball players. Nowadays, I dun watch NBA anymore.
I understand what you mean :p yeah, the first DREAM TEAM is the best... they are really the DREAM TEAM. These days, even the teams the US sent out, not even all the players are considered the best in their position while the original DREAM TEAM is basically all Hall of Famers.

if Adebayor is to celebrate in my face, i would take a 50-cent coin and throw at him :angry:...whatever bad blood he had with arsenal, he had prove it by scoring a goal against his former team.

but to rub salt in the wounds, he still dare to celebrate in front of the away arsenal fans, least toure tired to do the decent thing by pulling him away from the area.
hope he get a serious ban for it and his violent conduct for that swipe at van persie face even though rvp tried to take him out from behind.
in the 1st half, he left his studs in fab during a late tackle from behind.

to be honest, the arsenal players seem out to get him perhaps that was due to the earlier comments he made before the match.

but in recent years, arsene was unable to keep his team in check with regards to some of the reckless challenge in certain games...leaving the ref with no choice but dismiss the player.

Last edited:
but in recent years, arsene was unable to keep his team in check with regards to some of the reckless challenge in certain games...
Yeah, by his own admission, he "chose" not to see certain incidents!

I feel Adebayor`s swipe at RVP was really reckless, no regard for the player`s safety and a total lack of respect for a fellow professional :thumbsd:

Hope he gets a ban for that :sticktong

Yeah, by his own admission, he "chose" not to see certain incidents!

that's just a blatant lie to defend his players.
perhaps finishing outside the top 4 will wake up his idea against under-performing youth players.

i think most of the michael jordan's quote during the speech is followed by laughters in the crowd, i think that's american humor.. like being mean. He doesn't have to get a hall of fame to get 'revenge'..

they are all just players, magic johnson didn't really show best sportsmanship also.. all are celebrities. Just like you may say Andy Lau is the most hardworking actor.. but there are thousands of farmers..

i think most of the michael jordan's quote during the speech is followed by laughters in the crowd, i think that's american humor.. like being mean. He doesn't have to get a hall of fame to get 'revenge'..

they are all just players, magic johnson didn't really show best sportsmanship also.. all are celebrities. Just like you may say Andy Lau is the most hardworking actor.. but there are thousands of farmers..
yes, the speech was followed by laughters in some quarters but that;s really because he's MJ and that's his hall of fame speech... if it's not, i suspect he will really get boo...

As for Magic Johnson not really showing best sportsmanship.. i don't really any incident involving him... perhaps u can enlighten us?

As for andy lau the most hardworking actor... he may be.. but may be forced to, as some of the films he acted because he was threatened by triads and i don't see the relevance of the farmers. :)

that's just a blatant lie to defend his players.
perhaps finishing outside the top 4 will wake up his idea against under-performing youth players.
heh... to be fair to Arsene... he's not the only one with selective vision... at least he's quite honest.. unlike SAF.... when his players was fouled, he will swear that Murder has been committed while when his players are fouling others, he will say the referee should have booked the opposition of simulating injuries! LOL

yes, the speech was followed by laughters in some quarters but that;s really because he's MJ and that's his hall of fame speech... if it's not, i suspect he will really get boo...

(that's your assumption..some people thinks he is sarcastic or may not.. but to me i think that's really american humor, that's being mean..)

As for Magic Johnson not really showing best sportsmanship.. i don't really any incident involving him... perhaps u can enlighten us?

(sportsmanship isn't showed in statistics, and the best sportsman can be some unknown player..)

As for andy lau the most hardworking actor... he may be.. but may be forced to, as some of the films he acted because he was threatened by triads and i don't see the relevance of the farmers. :)

(In different way of looking, farmers or a father who needs to take care of a family is 'more hardworking'..)

Anyway, i am not supporter of what player..but i really think that's american humor, maybe if Dennis Rodman speaks something like that, i will think that's really what he means ha..

I also interested to know :think:

I think the most disgusting fact is that Adebayor is unrepentant. Can't imagine if stamping on the face is allowed in the game, will you still allow your son to play in a football game like that?

I think the most disgusting fact is that Adebayor is unrepentant. Can't imagine if stamping on the face is allowed in the game, will you still allow your son to play in a football game like that?
yup.. same for Serena.. unrepentant...and i suspect MJ as well.

yup.. same for Serena.. unrepentant...and i suspect MJ as well.

I saw the video clip of the incident. Actually the lines judge did not initiate the complaint of Serena's threats to the referee.
She was sitting there taking the abuses until the referee signaled her to come over and tell him what happened.

IMO Larry Bird has even worse of a character than MJ.

The 07-08 Celtics had near-zero sportmanship as well

Larry Bird is a white man in a black man sport. For him to excel and came up tops among the stronger built African American ballers, it's not easy!

Larry Bird is super garang one, he can fight with any players that crossed his path in the NBA, no backing down. Power I tell you.

hmmm, that's interesting... again, how did he not believe properly? I can't recall any incident..

In fact, i think what makes the lakers/celtics rivalry so great is that they really treated their opponents with respect. \

Fighting hard for a win is not unsportsmanship. Just like i feel Bolton fights hard and deserved respect. Of course, Kevin davies and diouf are prob the bad apples...

Status
Not open for further replies.