Sports Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nshinx

Aug 9, 2004
Hi,

I need some help!
Firstly i am equipped with 350d with kit lens and my friend is going to lend me a zoom lens.
I am going to shoot at a dragon boat even at bedok res on friday, and its my first time. i would like to have some tips and help :) Please teach!

thanks a lot!

zoom lens? <- refer to any lens that can zoom, doesn't means telephoto... 70-200?

opp. i'm not sure but i think it would reach 200mm. hmm :( help!

tripod. 1/250 shutterspeed. f5.6-8 would be good. hope its 200 or 300 if not you can't really see much.

anyway the setup above is just my noob recommandation. i never shot that before so i don't know.

use AV mode set AV wide open, if shutter fall under 1/200 increase ISO...if this fail use M mode...setting u need to try urself base on the situation on that day...use a monopod/tripod if possible...

edit: this is my newbie suggestion...

If lighting is good, I'd think you can get at least 1/500.
If ur lens dosent go beyond 300mm, 1/500 is a perfectly handholdable speed.
Dont be afraid to increase ur ISO to 200/400 if you need it...no problem at all.
Remember the DOF theory to get the desirable apperture.I cant tell you what apperture to use unless you tell me your shooting style.
Watch your background.
Watch your lighting.
Watch your subject's movement and spot any opportunities for creative shots; eg.motion blur, etc
I would not recommend a tripod/monopod if your lens aint heavy; it decreases your mobility.
If you are not sure of the focal range that you will use MOTT, get a sling bag or a bag which will allow quick access to your lens, so that you can change lens quickly if need be.
Remember to bring spare batteries.
If you are there for fun then just have fun.
If you are on assignment then maybe you might wanna rackey first so as to find places to position yourself to get well-lit shots.And if its competitions or whatever, do find out where you can and cannot go.

Just my newbie comments:embrass:
Dont flame me:sweat:

JediForce4ever said:
Remember the DOF theory to get the desirable apperture.I cant tell you what apperture to use unless you tell me your shooting style.

What if my lens has only a single aperture, would that limit me getting various DOF?
or are there other ways to get various DOF? Maybe u can give examples if there is. (like changing lens?)

Sorry i'm a bit new to photography, hope you guys can help me out! =D

specs said:
What if my lens has only a single aperture, would that limit me getting various DOF?
or are there other ways to get various DOF? Maybe u can give examples if there is. (like changing lens?)

Singale aperture i take it as constant aperture...that would be a bonus.
Constant aperture lenses allow you to shoot wide open at all focal lengths without the aperture changing size.

DOF control is still the same.About the DOF depth/shallowness(if thats how u spell it)....I wont elaborate further.Check out the photographic websites.:)

Distance will also affect DOF, the further you are from your object of focus, the wider is the DOF. I would say you don't have to worry too much about DOF. I suggest using AV mode F/2.8 or F/4.0 and iso400 or iso200. But you need to also take note of the shutter speed. Because in AV mode, the shutter speed will change/vary according to lighting condition. If the shutter speed is less than 1/320s, your image will likely be blurr.

It all depends on whether it is a cloudy day or sunny day or partial. If you do not have F/2.8 or F/4.0 like me, then may have to use f/5.6. Below is an image i took last year for your reference.

IMG_7268.jpg

Focal length: 290.0mm
Exposure time: 1/640s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Auto
Exposure: Manual

================
Focal length: 165.0mm
Exposure time: 1/500
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Auto
Exposure: Manual

Here's another one -
IMG_6941.jpg

specs said:

Alamak, blurr..! I just realised the event is over......! The first posting date is 19 April 2006.

Anyway.. for those reading will find my posting helpful.

Thanks for the tips, JediForce and evershine =D

But i tot if you step up the ISO to 400 onwards, your photo may look rather noisy? That's what i will worry most. I tried using ISO 800 or HI ISO and all my speed photography images all look very very noisy. And I try using ISO 200, the image is better.

JediForce4ever said:
If ur lens dosent go beyond 300mm, 1/500 is a perfectly handholdable speed.
Dont be afraid to increase ur ISO to 200/400 if you need it...no problem at all.
Watch your background.
Watch your lighting.
Watch your subject's movement and spot any opportunities for creative shots; eg.motion blur, etc
I would not recommend a tripod/monopod if your lens aint heavy; it decreases your mobility.
If you are not sure of the focal range that you will use MOTT, get a sling bag or a bag which will allow quick access to your lens, so that you can change lens quickly if need be.
Remember to bring spare batteries.
If you are there for fun then just have fun.
If you are on assignment then maybe you might wanna rackey first so as to find places to position yourself to get well-lit shots.And if its competitions or whatever, do find out where you can and cannot go.

Just my newbie comments:embrass:
Dont flame me:sweat:

Depending what camera you are using. Canon 350D is very safe if you use iso400. iso800 still ok most of the time.

Edgedale said:
But i tot if you step up the ISO to 400 onwards, your photo may look rather noisy? That's what i will worry most. I tried using ISO 800 or HI ISO and all my speed photography images all look very very noisy. And I try using ISO 200, the image is better.

Guess my A700 have it's limit. Anyone uses A series powershot have experience taking shots at ISO 800 and image still appear to be very sharp and clear (without noise)?

Care to share tips? :embrass:

Edgedale said:

most dSLR are fine with ISO400, especially canon ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.