Sports Photography | Using of consequtive flash to create multiple exposure (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyxSoul

Nov 3, 2006
Yishun ~!
hi! i am asking if there is any webpages on how to create mutliple exposure (i think thats the term) by using the flash for capturing multiple actions in one frame.

for exmaple, a guy in 3 different spots in one frame.

any ideas?

ive considered this idea with biking photos before... its doable but you'd need like a team of people to flap the flashes as the person runs along...

alternatively you can just take shots on drive mode from one spot or on a tripod and stitch em together on photoshop..like you see on the bmx and skate magazines and stuff

here is one ive done of my friend biking:

bobbio.jpg

coool! mmmm stitching? same concept of automating panorama on photoshop?

Using flash to light up a subject and create background blur while isolating the subject and stopping motion is very popular in something like mountain biking. This is done by using rearcurtain sync.

What you are talking about can be done with the normal flash, throughout the shutter speed the flash gives off light multiple times to expose the subject throughout the frame in different positions. There is a setting on the SB900 that allows multiple flashes but i dont know what it is. The exposure needs to be spot on tho, I have never tried this due to the fact i don't own a tripod!

But experiment and show us your results and how you did it, it will be interesting to see.

ahh shucks, there's this tripod factor that i'm lacking in too, for now anyway.

all right i'll try to experiment with my camera. for now i'll use the photoshop idea.

thanks!

You need a tripod, and the right term, I believe, is stroboscopic flash. You can set the frequency (in Hz) and power of each flash. This allows you to open your shutter for an extended period while the action is being performed in front of your set up. The flash should be the main source of light, and each flash will freeze a certain step in the action, thus the strobing effect will give you your multiple shots of action within the same exposure/frame.

oooooo, thanks for the term. i'll try it out real soon, thanks for the tip on frequency.

and i like your potraits on deviantart!

oooooo, thanks for the term. i'll try it out real soon, thanks for the tip on frequency.

and i like your potraits on deviantart!

Haha. Thank you. :) I'm actually not that into portraiture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.