S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nn3th03

Jan 6, 2005
the accused used a laptop computer to gain unauthorized access to a home wireless network.

If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.

:sweat: :sweat:

haha. this kind of case for sure have some sabotaging involved one.

What next? The death penalty for hacking into someone else's network?

I am all for a peaceful law abiding society, but we must take a look and make sure the punishment is justifiable.

aiyoh!! then the other party got jail for not safe guarding his own network by having password anot?:D

the accused used a laptop computer to gain unauthorized access to a home wireless network.

If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.

deserved it. I should said he quite suay to be caught. lol

:thumbsup:

He knows it (the consequences) , he did it (unauthorize access) , and he got caught (luckily or unluckily).

What next? The death penalty for hacking into someone else's network?

I am all for a peaceful law abiding society, but we must take a look and make sure the punishment is justifiable.
Probably not, that's just too extreme. Sometimes you DO think all the way out my friend. ;p

You DO have to realise that not all law & policymakers are absolute IT suavy enough. The easiest method would be to put a blanket law with ambiguous words that covers just about anything and everything.

If there's something I'm absolutely pissed, sometimes things gets just so ambiguous that everyone assumes and eventually sit there not getting anything done, not voicing anything out and getting the specifics of it.

k3nn3th03 said:

the key words are "UP TO"

i doubt he will receive the MAX penalty

How to check who's been tapping on your wireless network?
Please advise.
I would like to send another to jail.:D

How to check who's been tapping on your wireless network?
Please advise.
I would like to send another to jail.:D

it is almost impossible. the most you can see is the adapter's MAC address. really suspect the neighbour must have really really hated him. maybe he play drums everyday.:bsmilie:

Seeing the fella's MAC address? That's more than enough. ;)

i guess if he can convince that he was just using the network and not pilfering any information from the host, then he wont get any serious punishment. Someone leaving the door to his house open, doesnt mean we can walk in and browse around.
Its trivial to crack WEP anyway, use something else, use MAC filtering and dun broadcast your SSID. What the heck, dun send sensitive info wirelessly at all!

the news was in ASIAONE...

not sure if can paste here...

still using wired internet acess thou... faster and lesser hassle

but how can one be so sure that theres someone tapping into ur network ?

is there some kind of a software for me to check ? :dunno: :dunno:

of course la.. i am a MOL6500 user.. and its like the dl speeds damn slow.... my neighbour using MOL4000 is faster den mine....

:cry:

sometimes have to blame those 'gongkia' from using passwordless routers... if he hack a WEP or WPA coded ones, then he rightfully be jailed lah...

i mean sometimes i set to linksys, then i go another place, not that i wanna link, but that linksys is passwordless, then it auto linkup... wat 2 do? (ya know stanley there the free linksys?) some ppl also never set password at home, i auto login, bo pian mah...

sometimes have to blame those 'gongkia' from using passwordless routers... if he hack a WEP or WPA coded ones, then he rightfully be jailed lah...

i mean sometimes i set to linksys, then i go another place, not that i wanna link, but that linksys is passwordless, then it auto linkup... wat 2 do? (ya know stanley there the free linksys?) some ppl also never set password at home, i auto login, bo pian mah...

yar yar! happens to my laptop too. sometimes it just flips to some "linksys" network, and there's nothing obvious that will show up saying that i am connected to it, unless i go and right click the icon, i never noticed that it is connected to "linksys".

yar yar! happens to my laptop too. sometimes it just flips to some "linksys" network, and there's nothing obvious that will show up saying that i am connected to it, unless i go and right click the icon, i never noticed that it is connected to "linksys".

still got free 2wire, dlink etc... some ppl just install router & expect router do auto password that they & the router know, via some imaginery prayer...

but how can one be so sure that theres someone tapping into ur network ?

is there some kind of a software for me to check ? :dunno: :dunno:

of course la.. i am a MOL6500 user.. and its like the dl speeds damn slow.... my neighbour using MOL4000 is faster den mine....

:cry:
yup..there's programs you can download to check who's on your network and what they're doing

Status
Not open for further replies.