S'pore blogger sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
i m sure many of u guys have read the recent case of our fellow s'porean being ask to shut down his blogging site cos of 'defamation'. now this issue has gone onto the net.

well just for your attention:
http://www.cpj.org/news/2005/Sing05may05na.html

now we know why people who r on top of the food chain want to be "quiters".

:cheers:

sure it's free, but becareful when u say something wrong. noone stop anyone for saying anything ;)

Just host it on the foreign server and use an alias... they lan lan cant do anything unless they track u down

Free speech doesn't mean one can go on rattering about every tom, dick and harry! Be responsible for what one said.

If you wanna side with anyone, one gutta see the contents of the blog first. Without it, nobody is the wiser. Blogger may appear to be an innocent party, but that's further from the truth. 2 thumbs up for yeo for taking action against the blogger!

TMC said:
oh well now we know freedom of speech is not so free anymore.

What's new there? Freedom of speach has never really existed in most societies, and especially not in most of the major societies who have long recorded histories.

There is a phrase I believe that goes
"The freedom to swing your fist ends at my face."

Sure there's freedom to speak but you have to accept that there will be consequences for everything you do.

I don't know the specfics of what this blogger has said but I think that badmouthing anyone in a (relatively) public forum isn't exactly a smart thing to do.

You won't feel nice if someone calls you names and then runs off to hide before you can respond.

But such is the Internet. :sweat:

As long as you say the truth (which can be substantuated with evidence) you won't have to worry, as that is not defamation. But if you are suggesting things, with no proof available, you are asking for trouble...........

HS

TMC said:
oh well now we know freedom of speech is not so free anymore.

What's so free about defaming people? :dunno:

freedom of speech != rights to make defamatory remarks

I'm sure if the blog was of a constructive nature, and didn't make personal attacks on philip yeo, he wouldn't have to resort to sueing.. Not taking any sides here.. but i do think the article linked above doesn't give the whole picture.

Fear will lead to anger, anger will lead to hate, hate... will lead to suffering....

I sense much fear in you...

- Master Yoda

I wonder if Big Brother is reading this? Wise words frm a Jedi Master. :D

Freedom of speech exists only in a lawless society!
(Law was meant to limit this freedom)

sbs99 said:
Without control, fear will come. Without fear there's no control.

thats a very good quote. :thumbsup:

i also dun know the details of this case. from what i read in the papers, it seemed that the student was pointing out to the restrictive part of the scholarship sys in A*Star. if this is as simple & as true as it seems, A*Star cud have just answered or explained about those restrictions. instead they chose to jump on taking legal action immediately. the student also ended his story with a disappointment remark saying that despite s'pore claiming to be more outspoken & free-er in terms of speech, it wasn't so in reality.

unless we know some details on the correspondence between him & A*Star, otherwise, its hard to understand the legal threat. :think:

people won't take action unless threatened...

why would one feel threatened if one is innocent or having a clear conscience? People can see for themselves who's right and who's wrong.

I don't mean to side with the blogger...but to slap a suit on him is like overkill. What would warrant such a big move to shut that guy up? Hiding something before more info comes out?

Singaporeans tend to over react on minor situations...example...i seen a car slowing down in a carpark (yes! carpark) to go over a speed hump, another car right behind started to sound his horn like he was impatient to go home feed his starved for 2 days pet fishes. I mean...duh...what's waiting for a few seconds for the dude infront to clear the hump?

Uptight!!! relax! Everybody gets jumpy and jump all over each other, next thing we know we get more nonsensical news in the papers. Eg. the tree branch dropped and hit a woman's shoulder, and she wanted to sue the environment authorities....i mean...wth...what's up with her? Laughing stock...sheesh! :sweatsm:

i have a different view. s'pore is more like a one way traffic. its always the authorities say & action. nothing for commoners even till today. so u can't sue any authorities or governing bodies no matter how big a mistake. there's always room for honest mistake & nobody gets axe. if the authority say u salah, then its wiser to just shut up & pay the penalty then get big big sh!t from them. i think there r many cases that had happened already. foreigners say we too obedient & the nation is run like an iron fist. i can clearly see why. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.