3. islamic koran
1acm_084.jpg

4. chinese puppets
1acm_047.jpg

5. staircase
1acm_102.jpg

frankly and honestly,

the shots i feel, need more work,

not sure what kind of a set up you are using...

maybe more close up shots and better compositioning, if not some cropping in Photoshop would help.

what i found most distracting is the flash.... maybe bouncing the flash would yeild better results.

yea it's a dark place to shoot stuff.... but i think there are loads of moods you can capture from such a place... quite cool, is this empress or amenian street?

it's at empress place...

i'm not really a good photographer. i m using a 2 mega pixel digital zoom minolta digicam (dimage x20)

the museum allows photography, but without flash. but my pics all turn out blur, coz the environment is simply too dark. so i secretly took pics with flash, n when the curator or security guard tells me off, i pretend that my camera is auto flash, n i dont know how to switch off the flash coz the 'camera isn't mine' etc...

Flash is not allowed partly because it damages the exhibits. Hope you will be more responsible when you visit a museum next time.

I think photography is not allowed in museums right? Something about copyright, as well as flash damaging exhibits (enlighten me why please... someone?) and spoiling the ambience.

Anyway, I think #2 is quite alright, but you should go closer (avoid the white platform) and the highlights are a little blown out.

Try not to make shots in the museum (esp. with flash) next time.

yes flash does spoil the look to ur pics and well sadly the artifacts as well...

like old documents, paintings, and so on...... even artifacts, its like when u leave stuff in the sun, things fade, stuff wears...

Well, then i suggest you get a tripod, cheap one will do, or just get a video cam ahhaha... trythe tripod, even borrow one, it may be cumbersome, but at least you be saving urself from a scolding.. =)

aiya dont worry lah, and if u like the stuff in there to take pics of it, you might just like em enuff NOT to use your flash.

photography without flash is permitted in the AC museum, as well as the national museum.

i tried taking photos without flash, but the pics turn out blur, coz the museum is dimly lit (maybe they want to save electricity?)

moos blues said:
yes flash does spoil the look to ur pics and well sadly the artifacts as well...

like old documents, paintings, and so on...... even artifacts, its like when u leave stuff in the sun, things fade, stuff wears...

Well, then i suggest you get a tripod, cheap one will do, or just get a video cam ahhaha... trythe tripod, even borrow one, it may be cumbersome, but at least you be saving urself from a scolding.. =)

aiya dont worry lah, and if u like the stuff in there to take pics of it, you might just like em enuff NOT to use your flash.

agree.. if you really appreciate them, all the more you shouldnt contribute to its deterioration. :p

it's for conservation reason why flash is not allowed.. and also why some galleries are dimly lit..

if you really like some exhibits, you can always enquire at the counter - sometimes they have photos of those in the catalogue, or the exhibition information flyer. or wait for the guide at the few guiding hours - they usually are friendly and can forward you some photos of the exhibit if they have it. :p

markteo said:
photography without flash is permitted in the AC museum, as well as the national museum.

i tried taking photos without flash, but the pics turn out blur, coz the museum is dimly lit (maybe they want to save electricity?)

Use a tripod for dark places without using flash.
In doing so, u can capture the mood and ambience of the place. Using flash will be too harsh and artificial.

museums have no worries about copyright issues. in fact they would be happy to have free advertisement unless the artist states otherwise.

museums are dimly lit not because they want to save electricity.
they could have just open the windows.
the museum interiors are kept dim to reduce amount of light shining, there is just enough for the visitor to see.

LIGHT DAMAGES HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS.

in fact, museum artifacts should be cycled (display for a few months then kept in storage) so that the artifacts can have time to 'rest'.

so PLEASE no flashlights.
be a responsible museum visitor.

the photos just have no sense of composition.
Using flash creates a very harsh effect on your subjects, rendering them bloody ugly most of the time.
U need more practice dude.Go out and shoot more. Read more. See more!

but i'm sure not ALL artifacts would be affected by lighting. Maybe fabrics, paintings, colored porcelain would be affected coz they have colored pigments, but bronze n stone objects are light resistance.....

Essentially another case of the ugly museum visitor. These artifacts are precious and not to mention priceless, and all you can do is argue that a cheap flash will not damage them just so you can validate taking a crap photo with poor composition?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
phool said:
Flash is not allowed partly because it damages the exhibits. Hope you will be more responsible when you visit a museum next time.

In time, this museum will kick out anyone who bring a camera, flash or no flash. So Mark, we need to shoot with no flash. It can be done and easily far bettter without. The artifacts are motionless. The exhibit light is in fact quite strong enough.

markteo said:
but i'm sure not ALL artifacts would be affected by lighting. Maybe fabrics, paintings, colored porcelain would be affected coz they have colored pigments, but bronze n stone objects are light resistance.....

are u a curator?

Alright guys,ease up on him. He is after all a newbie and everyone makes mistakes.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.