S'pore Airshow 2010: Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
Singapore
I heard some rumors(?) floating that there is a 300mm cap on the focal length for lens during the airshow. Can anybody confirm whether this is true?

It's surprising to me because the 300mm was not a barrier even for the SGP F1 GP last year (as long as it was not for comemrcial purposes) which is a more 'restrictive' event for lenses.
And 100-400 is a popular lens worldwide for airshows.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

Yes i've heard theres a 300mm cap from my friends as well, but i have no confirmation of this..

Yes i've heard theres a 300mm cap from my friends as well, but i have no confirmation of this..

Yup. 300mm cap.

I've only been to airshow on trade days, but so far I never saw any restrictions on camera gear. People were bringing in anything they could carry. I'll be going this Thursday with my videocam, will keep an eye out for such restrictions (which wouldn't apply to videocams anyway because all the lenses are pretty short focal length).

get 300mm and 2X converter. should solve e prob

If it's true, anyone care to enlighten me on the rationale of this? :dunno:

Thx. But I wont buy a lens just for the airshow when I hv the 100-400 already.

Anyway, I dont understand the logic of these guys, if it's true. Weightwise a 300/2.8 is much heavier than a 400/5.6 or 100-400 AND focal lengthwise a 300 + 2x will exceed 300mm, and both of them are allowed.

Would be great if somebody went there with a 100-400 and has something to share on his/her experience!

I heard some rumors(?) floating that there is a 300mm cap on the focal length for lens during the airshow. Can anybody confirm whether this is true?

It's surprising to me because the 300mm was not a barrier even for the SGP F1 GP last year (as long as it was not for comemrcial purposes) which is a more 'restrictive' event for lenses.
And 100-400 is a popular lens worldwide for airshows.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid what you've heard are just what you've heard..rumours. :cool:

There is no cap on the length of your lens that you can bring to the Singapore Airshow. I've been to every show since 1986..and there has never been such a rule.

Being there today, I've seen at least 10 units of 500mm and what I suspect might be a 600mm too.

I'll be back there again on Thurs, Fri and Sat, so if you think you have the strength to bring in a 1000mm, go ahead.

Meaning they're going to check the lenses that we bring to the show..?

Going this sat. Just borrow a 400mm lens.

Can someone going on weekdays confirm is this is true.

I've been to the airshow a couple of times using 400mm without any problem. As one has said, there were a couple of 500mm lens & no one batted their eyelids.

The 300mm lens cap is applicable to the RSAF Open House & there must have been some kind of assumption that this is also applicable to the airshow.

Meaning they're going to check the lenses that we bring to the show..?

Dont know, they did check at SGP F1 GP, though they did allow 300mm+ lenses after making u sign a letter saying that u wont use the pics for commercial purposes.

Thx! :)

I'm afraid what you've heard are just what you've heard..rumours. :cool:

There is no cap on the length of your lens that you can bring to the Singapore Airshow. I've been to every show since 1986..and there has never been such a rule.

Being there today, I've seen at least 10 units of 500mm and what I suspect might be a 600mm too.

I'll be back there again on Thurs, Fri and Sat, so if you think you have the strength to bring in a 1000mm, go ahead.

Definitely a rumour.

Was there this afternoon and there are a couple of folks bringing in 300-600mm without any restrictions at all.

Last edited:
I have never shoot aeroplane before. Can a 420mm f8 be fast enough for bringing a plane down? (300mm f5.6 + 1.4x TC)

I have never shoot aeroplane before. Can a 420mm f8 be fast enough for bringing a plane down? (300mm f5.6 + 1.4x TC)

If you are:
1. Shooting on sunny day (it needs a lot of light)
2. Using pro body (1d or 1ds series in canon) in order to AF at f8 lens

Depends how hard you throw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.