**Spoiler Alert!** The War of the Worlds. Go for it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just home from watching it...

Effects are great, love the part where the many choppers and jets fire the missiles at the unseen enemies.

But one thing makes me wonder. How did the lady manage to power up her video camera to shoot the machine attack? I thought all power was wipped out? (The part where the first machine appeared and Ray (Tom Cruise) was at the scene)

Adam Goi said:
Just watched the movie.

My take:

The bad guys died a little too quickly and too easily ...

Yah. I only read the book. Kinda lame, especially when they were on upper hand and almost reached world domination. But hey, its a late 19th century "science fiction", that could be the IN thing then. You will realise books like Time Machine and Invisible Man also written in this kinda style by the same author.

dEthANGeL said:
Guys .. just a question ... i'm still pondering after watching the premiere ...

How could Tom Cruise's son survive and be back at his parents' place earlier than him when they were separated at that huge fight on the fields? :think:

While Ray and daughter were trapped in farmhouse, son travel back to mom! Don't know how, they said Steven told him to return to mom............ :bsmilie:

Just kidding....... :)

Gymrat76 said:
Aiya, if you were awake during the 80s and 90s you would have known how the story goes already anyway. I might only watch it for the special effects ;)

Oops, sorry forget sometimes that some people wern't BORN in the 80s yet :confused: Another consequence of old age :embrass:

That's what I tot too.... forgot the young ones might not read old book....

Apology to them for spoiling their fun watching this movie....

Adam Goi said:
Just watched the movie.

My take:

The bad guys died a little too quickly and too easily ...

Totally agreed ...

It's in the book. They died in the end. Bacteria, virus, etc. It's a book adaptation, there's no way to change that. It's like Titanic, the ending isn't an unkown, so they can't have a large showdown with a boss alien.

Trivia - SBC 5 used to have tripods, a bbc series, whose alien vehicles are precisely based on the war of the worlds book. utterly brilliant.

+evenstar said:
Just home from watching it...

Effects are great, love the part where the many choppers and jets fire the missiles at the unseen enemies.

But one thing makes me wonder. How did the lady manage to power up her video camera to shoot the machine attack? I thought all power was wipped out? (The part where the first machine appeared and Ray (Tom Cruise) was at the scene)

Hmm since what the aliens were using was some sort of EMP ... as long as your electronic gadget is switched off... it'll not be affected (assuming the video cam was switched off) .. that's why it can be used.

Reading the ebook, I am amazed the way HG Wells described the Martians and its spaceship. I find it exciting reading the book.

Imagine he described the laser beam in 19th cemtury!!!
Excerpt from Chapter 5 The Heat Ray:

An almost noiseless and blinding flash of light, and a man fell headlong and lay still; and as the unseen shaft of heat passed over them, pine trees burst into fire, and every dry furze bush became with one dull thud a mass of flames.

+evenstar said:
The EMP bursts were localised to where the "lightning" storms were so anything out of the area would not be affected.

Anyway, I thought the movie was very well made (even though I knew the eventual ending) and the thing that made it for me was that Tom Cruise did not play a "super-hero" and was portrayed as an ordinary man struggling to make sure his family survived. There were many "What would I do if I were in his shoes? Could I even do that??" moments, and the one that particularly struck was when he confronted (killed?) the person who sheltered them to prevent him from giving away their location as he was hysterical.

Very tense from beginning to end. Agree that the ending was too abrupt and that the narrator didn't really explain what killed the aliens.

I saw it last month, and my personal comment is the storyline and ending is a bit ..... :thumbsd: wasted my $$$, my friends also complaint the ending :angry: ;( I think if most people watched it (including me) is because of Tom Cruise. Watch it and analysis it ;)

Just a thought,

I've read the book before and find it a paradox placed in an entertaining way.

Imagine ur the biggest, meanest alien in all the Milky Way with all the fancy rayguns, EMP stuff and ur felled by the smallest bug- literally! in the world. The types that most people would just make a trip to the GP for some anti-biotics.

Funny that people do not see the beauty of the paradox that the writer intended in the first place.

I guess we're pretty much weaned on the Hollywood aka a la Rambo-style of movies where 1 guy can carry 2 GPMGs and make mincemeat out of an entire platoon of bad guys. I love the way Rambo pulls out the grenade ring with his teeth too.. Haha.... :D

Hey, it's a movie but who says a movie cannot be as sobering just as it is entertaining?

1) Entertaining movie? Yep

2) Credible, plausible ending? Why not? Beats flying a tactical nuke into the centre of the alien spaceship and detonating it without a scratch aka Independence Day :p

Just random ramblings

IMHO, I think the narration part is hrm... cheapo. It's just like they have no budget for the movie, so cut here and there. Grrrr

Another thing that irritates me is the little girl. Running around and screaming here and there. Spoilt!

:angry:

Overall rating for the movie is above average tho, Steven Spielberg successfully bring you into the movie (minus off all the narration sh1t).

will there be a part 2? hur hur
seemed there were more who are watching from above...
they showed the video footage of the aliens entering the machines which were buried in the ground by means of lightning(!??!?!)

i thought spielberg ran out of steam during the barnhouse basement segment with the shotgun totting crazed guy...and the ending was way too 'soft'

nice touch on the crows attracted to the giant 3 legged machines (they were rotting? hence attract carrion??)

i like this movie is very nice acting r gd..but the ending is sucks!!!!! sigh...

agreed that the ending was abrupt and too easy, yet...if u read the book, that's exactly how it was - abrupt and rushed as well.

i guess speilberg was just trying to keep a close adaptation to the author's work.

having said that, i personally detest action movies which show this much humanity and struggle, i buy a ticket about aliens and humans fighting, so i wanna see some ACTION. yet this humanity showcase seems to be the trend now.

Ya boy. Wats with the humanity and all that. If I want all this, CNN and BBC plenty!!! I want to escape from it. I want to see terrorists getting their asses kicked. I want to see aliens dying at the hands of huge nuclear attacks. Killed by virus??? Damn ANTICLIMAXXX manz..

i like the show. actually the ending is interesting cos it tells us that the best laid plans can be foiled by small details that we missed. that's how many battles were lost throughout our history. the aliens focused onto the macro (ie, us) and forgot the micro.... what's more, i love it cos it's not the usual bimbo ending like independence day or armageddon where the great US saves the day. they were just as screwed as any of us.

question though. who the hell is dumb enough to come to earth all the way, bury your fighting vehicles, wait a million years, then come back? why not invade it immediately and waste all the dinos?
it's like hitler burying a thousand tiger tanks in leeds then invading england a century later.

btw, wouldn't their fighting vehicles be damned obsolete in their world by a million years? they like using retro equipments? macam the US army suddenly deciding to go with roman chariots instead of M1 tanks :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.