Split Image Focusing Screen

strikeback4

Deregistered
Apr 14, 2010
I'm going back to playing MF lens but I need some help with some question which I couldn't find online, I'm searching for Split Image Focusing Screen for my D300s so please help answer my question below

1) I browse through e-bay & couldn't find any for D300s but I google online & almost all state thats its the same as D90, anyone know if I purchase a D90 Focusing Screen, will it fit nicely on my D300s?

2) Any shops in Singapore selling Split Image Focusing Screen? whats the rough estimate & are they really worth it as I see on E bay they are selling for SGD $30-70 so any quality difference?

3) Whats the main difference with 45° & 180°?

4) Does Nikon SG sell focusing screen? I contacted them & they give me a blur look...

or can anyone provide me a link of an in-depth on Split Image Focusing Screen so I can read up more about it as well...

1) I browse through e-bay & couldn't find any for D300s but I google online & almost all state thats its the same as D90, anyone know if I purchase a D90 Focusing Screen, will it fit nicely on my D300s?

2) Any shops in Singapore selling Split Image Focusing Screen? whats the rough estimate & are they really worth it as I see on E bay they are selling for SGD $30-70 so any quality difference?

3) Whats the main difference with 45° & 180°?

4) Does Nikon SG sell focusing screen? I contacted them & they give me a blur look...

1) A D90 focusing screen is a blank screen without prism, just like the one on D300s. There are no split prisms in the screen.

2) Orient photo used to bring in some of the China made screens. It cost $60 for my old D40x. But it is not super accurate, and the screen is darker.

3) 45 or 180 degree, is just the direction of the split prism, how the 2 images move when focus is changing. You can see the different focusing screens here. In the site, the F6-L is a 45 deg split screen, and the F6-A is a 180 deg split screen.

4) Nikon can replace the original focusing screen for you (which are blank), but Nikon do not currently offer any split focusing screen for their digital camera bodies.

I have a D300s and I have a focusing screen installed. I ordered it from Taiwan. The screen is an original Nikon K-3 focusing screen meant for the FM3A. The folks over there will cut and grind them to fit the D300s. This is their website: Focusing Screen

The other one that is really good is KatzEye. This is their website: KatzEye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a KatzEye split prism on my D7000 - love it! love it! love it!

I love it so much that I kay-poh and emailed them about whether they plan on having it for the D800 or D4. Here is what they say:

It is good to hear from you and I am glad your D7000 screen has worked well.

At this point, we do not have information about the D800 and D4 screens, their possible release date, or compatibility with existing models. We did not have any advance access to the cameras and we still have not obtained sample cameras for review. Of course, we strongly desire to support both models and will do so if it is within our capabilities. I have added your name to our D800 and D4 interest lists and we will let you know as soon as there is any news about support for either model. Thank you very much for your continued interest in KatzEye Optics products and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Rachael Katz
KatzEyeT Optics
Toll Free: 855-KatzEye (528-9393)
Outside USA: +1.413.743.2523
Fax: +1.888.251.5477
KatzEye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens

UncleFai said:
I have a KatzEye split prism on my D7000 - love it! love it! love it!

What's the use of focusing screen uncleFai, something additional to add to d7000 ?

What's the use of focusing screen uncleFai, something additional to add to d7000 ?

Wikipedia to the rescue! Focusing screen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click on the pictures of the bottles at the bottom of that page and see how split prism screens work. The factory focusing screen of the D7000 is replaceable. I have (using a bit of tense surgery) replaced it with the KatzEye screen. It is especially useful for manual focusing. For example, in macro photography, the focusing is critical, and auto-focus cannot be relied on.

UncleFai said:
Wikipedia to the rescue! Focusing screen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click on the pictures of the bottles at the bottom of that page and see how split prism screens work. The factory focusing screen of the D7000 is replaceable. I have (using a bit of tense surgery) replaced it with the KatzEye screen. It is especially useful for manual focusing. For example, in macro photography, the focusing is critical, and auto-focus cannot be relied on.

Good to know about that, thanks so much.

for long lenses the Nikon J type screen is good, for fast lenses, the canon EC-S is the best i ve used to far, and the one i use now. its possible to buy the EC-S screen for the 7d and then use sand paper to bring it to the right size for your D300 i think.. i did that for my d700 screen