Split focusing screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so much more expensive than the original ones. Dunno whether is will works better than the original ones or not :dunno:

but canon has only few screens to offer whereas here it offers much more variations. only concern is the quality and any problems in dealing with them cause there's no way to contact them except for email.

but canon has only few screens to offer whereas here it offers much more variations. only concern is the quality and any problems in dealing with them cause there's no way to contact them except for email.

Yes, it's look well custom made and there is so many model to choose from.

I read the installation of focusing screen for 5D so much different and u need to tape a cushion on it, not sure the width of the focusing screen will affect the AF.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/test-fsen.htm

Last edited:
so which screen supplier do you suggest beside canon? katz? haoda?

so which screen supplier do you suggest beside canon? katz? haoda?

I use canon ee-S for my 5D, din try other brand so can't really suggest to u.
Using Canon so far so good, although there is only a bit of different from the ee-A that come with it.
Other than that, it is some how clearer to see the DOF.:bsmilie:

One CSer told me that the Nikon K split-image screen (from the FM/FE 2 era) fits the 5D perfectly.

They are not easy to find now, but check e-bay from time to time. One might pop up.

I still have one in mint condition that I'm keeping for a future 5D purchase ... unless I get a 50 or 60D. :sweatsm:

One CSer told me that the Nikon K split-image screen (from the FM/FE 2 era) fits the 5D perfectly.

They are not easy to find now, but check e-bay from time to time. One might pop up.

I still have one in mint condition that I'm keeping for a future 5D purchase ... unless I get a 50 or 60D. :sweatsm:

Any reviews for this Nikon k split-image screen?

Try doing a search.

I don't recall any, but these are proven screens from the film days. Bright and contrasty.

Call up Orient Photo to ask if they have a screen for your model. A screen from them for D40 costs $60. Don't know about other models but I expect them to be in the same price range.

was there before and they told me that they do not have 5D type. what they have is also limited ones. maybe one type for each model. seems like not a popular product.

do you mean take the screen from nikon fm/fe2 and it could fit nicely on 5d? without adding any sponge or stuff like that? this is something new. thanks dream merchant for the info.

was there before and they told me that they do not have 5D type. what they have is also limited ones. maybe one type for each model. seems like not a popular product.

Hmm... Then you might have to look at the FM2/FE2 option or katzeye.

Edit: This page says that there is a Type Ee-S screen for 5D which is optimised for manual focusing but it's not a split image screen, so I think it may not be what you want?
http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/fe95a378f154142dc12572c7003896b8

Last edited:

I read the installation of focusing screen for 5D so much different and u need to tape a cushion on it, not sure the width of the focusing screen will affect the AF.

The use of the language is..... wow! The prices are cheaper than Katzeye and they use original Nikon or Canon screens cut to the required size.

Last edited:
It's so much more expensive than the original ones. Dunno whether is will works better than the original ones or not :dunno:

no, they are less expensive than original one, works fine, but those China made work well to but half price (oriental photo 60)

did try the split screen on Nikon ( Dxx) and Canon ( xxxD) -- all entry level cam.

for Nikon, works fine, all original mark still there, no change at all
for canon, works fine too, but the focus indicating LED dot, becomes blur mark, -- not sure on xxD and xD ( sime and pro cams):bsmilie:

did try the split screen on Nikon ( Dxx) and Canon ( xxxD) -- all entry level cam.

for Nikon, works fine, all original mark still there, no change at all
for canon, works fine too, but the focus indicating LED dot, becomes blur mark, -- not sure on xxD and xD ( sime and pro cams):bsmilie:

Difficult to install?

IIRC, it was another CSer who told me that the FM/FE & 2s screens fit HIS 5D perfectly.

Yes, sometimes shimming is required in many prosumer and beginner DSLRs, as focusing screens may vary in thickness and allowances are a bit looser (suspected), but are there shims made by Canon for the 5D or can you get them from 3rd party suppliers?

At any rate, they are fairly cheap at $2 + per shim (Canon ones for my 10D), so hopefully, the 3rd party manufacturers don;t rip you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.