Split Focusing Screen.. anyone using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epileatheral

Dec 4, 2008
Hi ,
Anyone using Split Focusing Screen on their Pentax? How is it? And how much u got that fixed?

Katz one is too expensive la. I know there's some China Made ones. Wondering anyone using them.

Hi,

I got a split focussing screen for my Nikon D700 from focusingscreen.com. It is a Taiwanese company. I found their service very good. I had the product with me in three days after I placed an order. The screen was exactly what I had ordered and it works well. It is a Canon Screen made to fit the D700. They modify the screen depending on the stock they have in hand. Right now they seem to have a lot of canon screens.

I had previously used a Katz eye screen for my D2Hs. I dont recollect any difference between this one and the Katz eye one. This one, of course is cheaper. Installation was easy (took 3 minutes). You will be able to get some links from the following link

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=208820

The screen does become a little bit dark, if you have a slower lens, say f/4.5 or f/5.6.

Cheers,
Gorby

Thanks for the links. Guess I might wanna look into getting one as I'm using alot of MF. I wonder how much does a China brand one cost.

so does it affects the AF points when you change the focusing screen?

What I understand is that it doesn't affects the focussing points.

No, it won't affect AF, but it might affect metering a bit, not really an issue if you are using M mode :)

i mean the split focusing screen doesnt have the original 9 points focusing points as found in the camera right? with the original we can always choose the focusing points we want but does this split focusing screen let us choose as well?

i mean the split focusing screen doesnt have the original 9 points focusing points as found in the camera right? with the original we can always choose the focusing points we want but does this split focusing screen let us choose as well?

For KatzEye, you can include the AF points as well, among many other options. Split screens are best left for MF after all, IMHO.

This guy has done a pretty comprehensive test.

For KatzEye, you can include the AF points as well, among many other options. Split screens are best left for MF after all, IMHO.

yeah i get what you mean finally after browsing the katzeye website... they have the AF points incorporated into the split screen... tks...

Hi,

The AF points do not depend on the screen. They are projected onto the screen (at least for Nikon). There is no difference as far as AF is concerned. I think there will be a difference if you use the central spot ( incorporated by the microprism) for spot metering.

Cheers,
Gorby

I thk i am getting the Katz-eye after reading the review. Many of my portrait shots have been off-focused. If the split foucs screen can solve the probelm, then it should be well worth the cost.

i'm using a China-made split focusing screen on my K10D, and i'm very pleased with the results. i didn't experience a darker focusing screen at all when the aperture is smaller. i did look thru katzeye but it's just too expensive. mine only cost $30 plus sing dollar, and i got it from a hong kong based seller on ebay.

changing it is very easy. for instructions, go to youtube and search for focusing screen k10d.

oh, while you are at it, you might also want to consider a KPS magnifying eyepiece. makes focussing a whole lot easier, will fit elegantly on a k10d, or k20d.

i find it to be especially useful if you're wearing glasses.

I thk i am getting the Katz-eye after reading the review. Many of my portrait shots have been off-focused. If the split foucs screen can solve the probelm, then it should be well worth the cost.
Just placed my order. Will give some reviews once the item arrive. Yeah, its expensive, cost me over SGD$300. Hope its worth it.

Blimey! S$300 for a focusing screen??? :bigeyes:
If you're missing focus with the K10D I'd suggest sending it in to check focus calibration first, an issue that crops up with certain lenses. With the K20D practically all the focusing gremlins go away...;)

Just placed my order. Will give some reviews once the item arrive. Yeah, its expensive, cost me over SGD$300. Hope its worth it.

You must have added a lot of bells and whistles. :sweat:
I think I'll just go with the Taiwanese version...

Status
Not open for further replies.