Split focus screen on K-X

rocaway

Mar 6, 2010
Hey guys, has anyone tried changing the focus screen on their K-X? Thinking of getting a split focus one for MF work. From some basic research it looks simple enough to replace and there are expensive screens but also cheap ebay ones. How do they compare to each other?

or you have a naughty cat

:bsmilie: but the cat was only doing what its instinct tells it to do...

if really butter-fingers, can get in touch with Kelvin at the emjay service centre and ask if he can help. not sure if there's a svc charge, but good to see first hand how a pro does it so that you can DIY next time with more confidence.

many has changed, and many will recommend this

http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_103&products_id=896

got cheaper ones that work great as well...

easy to change unless ur leg like hand, hand like leg...:bsmilie:

better buy the Nikon K3 type as it has a bigger split although it costs about USD 90 C&F.
The Nikon K3 for K-20D also fits the K-X neatly as you don't need to insert shim for spot on manual focus, cos I sold my K20D to a K-X user.

better buy the Nikon K3 type as it has a bigger split although it costs about USD 90 C&F.
The Nikon K3 for K-20D also fits the K-X neatly as you don't need to insert shim for spot on manual focus, cos I sold my K20D to a K-X user.

its K3 what... u muz be drinking.... :kok:

anyway, to answer TS's question on comparison between cheap and expensive screens, i think most would recommend that budget permitting, get the K3 one from focusingscreen.com or the katzeye one.

cheap ones might give u a very dark VF and cause u pain and grief instead of helping u to MF more effectively :sweat:

i'm saving up for the K3 one.

I like Ben's K3 Grid screen. Really nice. But I always leg like hand, hand like leg, installation always got a little problem. Ben / Flowerpot, if I buy help me out?

aiya....i just itchy hands went to buy one online :)

flowerpot....pentriot.....can someone help to change when it comes.....:embrass:

anyway, to answer TS's question on comparison between cheap and expensive screens, i think most would recommend that budget permitting, get the K3 one from focusingscreen.com or the katzeye one.

cheap ones might give u a very dark VF and cause u pain and grief instead of helping u to MF more effectively :sweat:

i'm saving up for the K3 one.

I used one from Ebay. Felt it was too dark especially when using tele lens. Went back to the stock screen.

Please let me know how the K3 turn out on your K-X.

i see the k3 has two types.. one with grid and one without! what is the grid potentially used for?

i see the k3 has two types.. one with grid and one without! what is the grid potentially used for?

For alignment and as a compositional aid.
Really depends on the photographer's preference and actual usage. When I was shooting film a long time ago, I had a preference then for a focusing screen that was a clear ground glass focusing screen with no focusing aids.

K20D is the easiest wor... use leg oso can do...:bsmilie:
But it's about 70USD!! faint... it's a luxury item for now. 1st I need to collect something from you (and I think that'll blow my budget for the month).

Sure, just drop me a line or PM.:)
Ben, thank you! If I am going to get it, I will sure PM you.

For alignment and as a compositional aid.
Really depends on the photographer's preference and actual usage. When I was shooting film a long time ago, I had a preference then for a focusing screen that was a clear ground glass focusing screen with no focusing aids.

i see. thanks =D am going to get one now. any recommendation on which k3 one i should get? i dont really know what i prefer yet, nor can i find any sample view through the viewfinder with or without the grid.

i wonder if the extra grid is really useful for the 1/3rds rule, or whether i'll find it annoying after a while?

Try turning on the grid for Live View mode and see if it suits your style for composing shots

i see. thanks =D am going to get one now. any recommendation on which k3 one i should get? i dont really know what i prefer yet, nor can i find any sample view through the viewfinder with or without the grid.

i wonder if the extra grid is really useful for the 1/3rds rule, or whether i'll find it annoying after a while?

The grids on the K3+Grid are translucent. It will not affect your focusing or view.
I replaced the Golden Ratio screen on my K-7 Silver with the K3+Grids. That's my choice, anyway. See link.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/divideden.htm