Spitting Cobra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curare

Apr 10, 2004
West
Saw this cobra snake, I thinking the spitting sp. out for a walk in the Kent Ridge park. According to a regularly park goer there, it seems that some of these snakes do come out of the undergrowth for a glimse of the sunshine and hunt for its food eg toads. So do open your eyes on where you set your foot; do look down and not straight or up most of the time:) I kept my distance of about 20m from this bugger to take these 2 shots.
spitting-cobra.jpg

spitting-cobra-2.jpg

Cheers

WOW !!
In SIngapore ?
Looks very very dangerous

wah,cobra head... a real cobra.:bigeyes:

Saw this type of snake before in NUS. Looking at the picture, it does not seem to have any hood marks, so it might be a Black Spitting Cobra, also called the Sumatran cobra. You are right, it is supposed to be quite common.

Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Family: Elapidae
Species: Naja sumatrana

Im really not to sure about the ID, hopefully someone else can confirm it for me.

Most of the time, if you make enough noise as you walk around, the snakes will move away from you. Though it does pay to be careful where you step or put your hands. Nice shots!

It's quite well fed and about 1.5 m long. Which I think is pretty big for this variety.

Curare said:
It's quite well fed and about 1.5 m long. Which I think is pretty big for this variety.

Yeah, if it is a Black Spitting cobra, thats normally the biggest they will get. Scary sight. :sweat:

Look like a spitting cobra, and it is very common in Singapore forested areas. Be careful with this creature because once agitated it can spit poison up to a distance of 2m accurately into your eyes.:sweat:

Snakes are pretty common in Singapore.

Am a camp instructor and sometimes we go to the MOE campsites at CCK area.

There was once in the pond of a forest, I (and my grp of P5 kids) saw a 3m long python swam past. We were actually supposed to soak in that pond but after that sighting, I cancelled it.

I cannot imagine what would happen if we were soaking in there and the python did something to one of the kids. I would be in deep shyt man. haha

Spitting or not just don't get too close :nono:

Black spitters are remarkably common in sg. But they're shy and will always try to move away rather than confront people. Give them space and they won't harm you.

Two more closer shots of the spitting cobra.

spitting-cobra-3.jpg

tasting the air!​

spitting-cobra-4.jpg
silently it slithers away....​

cheers

Last time, Army field training, my men almost stepped on a cobra..... it was by a track and was standing liao.... luckily never step on it if not dunno how..... Also saw one in camp during guard duty.... first saw a rat running out from some potted plants... then the cobra came out also chasing the rat...... I thought my time was up.....

Therefore I think quite common lar.... just hope dun meet one when it is angry....

Can't remember whether same species or not....

Moonstone said:
Look like a spitting cobra, and it is very common in Singapore forested areas. Be careful with this creature because once agitated it can spit poison up to a distance of 2m accurately into your eyes.:sweat:

Actually it's up to 15 - 20ft....

Had dis snake in my house a couple of months back. My heart was pounding as my maid gave me a call saying that there's a snake inda house. All i can think of are my 2 young daughters as they might think its harmless. I was shaken while driving home. When I reached home, found the snake already dead. My maid had used a bamboo pole and beat it to death. Called Pest Control Co, they did a thorough search around the house, sprinkled some sulphur powder and cleared the dead snake. They confirmed its a Spitting Cobra just like inda pic. Forked out $150 for it. kerkerk...

Wonder if I still have the pics of the dead snake so that i can share with you guys. :think:

Sulphur does not really do anything to snakes. Your maid was daring, and brave. She must love your family.

As mentioned, making sounds will usually drive them away... unless your intention is to kill it.

plastic said:
Sulphur does not really do anything to snakes. Your maid was daring, and brave. She must love your family.

As mentioned, making sounds will usually drive them away... unless your intention is to kill it.

I thought sulphur was a deterent? Keeps them away. :thumbsup:

Agree with Plastic. Also although I don't condone what your maid did, still I hope she got a reward for going beyond the call of duty.

The next time you are out for a walk in the park and you come across a half dead toad or frog, this snake could be lurking nearby waiting for its meal after having injected a lethal of its venom. It waits for the effect of its venom to take place and the coast to clear b4 it devours its meal...

Friday13 said:
I thought sulphur was a deterent? Keeps them away. :thumbsup:

It's supposed to. But when a snake is very hungry and desperate (which I think so in this case), they may just go around it to get to possible food....

Status
Not open for further replies.