Spirit level on tripod & ballhead/clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi folks,

In my recent research for tripods & ballheads, I noticed that both offer spirit level.

Does it make any difference to have the spirit level on:

1) tripod
2) on ballhead/clamp
3) on both tripod & ballhead

& when should one go for item 1, 2 or 3? Or are they just marketing strategies?

Cheers,
Ben

1) tripod

So you know the legs are level. Useful for panning/panoramas.

2) on ballhead/clamp

On ballhead body is just another convenient location and same effect as having it on the tripod legs. On clamp is to make sure camera is level though it is often hard to use with camera attached.

3) on both tripod & ballhead

Combine 1 and 2.

Does this mean that one has to get both tripod & ballhead/clamp with spirit level in order to make full use of it (eg: for panorama)?

Cheers,
Ben

if you want to pan the tripod head for panorama shots, you need to keep your tripod head turning at perfect vertical axis, even you have level your camera at the perfect horizon, so you need a bubble level on the panning base to level it perfectly.

Thanks for the lead, folks.

I'm starting to get a clearer picture now. Even with a properly leveled tripod base, the camera may not be leveled (that's why there are ballheads/clamps with spirit level), especially when one is using a ballhead :)

So, a tripod with spirit level is a must for one who is into panning or panorama. I found that there are 2 options to level the camera, either by using a clamp with spirit level or the electronic leveler, which comes with some camera models (although the this may not be very accurate).

More to read up on this area of photography. Not as simple as I initially thought. Thanks again, folks.

Cheers,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.