Spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
I posted a thread quite some time back on this same subject. Here's a reshoot, paying attention to the suggestions. This one's done in the day though, under different lighting conditions.

VJspiral.jpg

Nice photo with interesting lines that lead up to a rather interesting candeliar (?) with some lines to break the sense of infinity. Would have have more impact if the windows weren't that attention-grabbing.

Would you recommend that I reshoot at night then, to get rid of the colour from the stained glass? I liked the contrast of the blue with the peachy colour of the walls actually.

Stoned said:
Would you recommend that I reshoot at night then, to get rid of the colour from the stained glass? I liked the contrast of the blue with the peachy colour of the walls actually.

do a double exposure/PS merge to get the lighted chandelier. right now it's not prominent and rather fades into the ceiling.
i like the peach-blue contrast too. have you tried rotating the image CW, CCW? i find it particularly striking at CCW, flows well- left to right, top to bottom. plus that added upside-down misorientation to throw the viewer off slightly.

Sigh. Have to reload the film camera now and try again. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did a little bit of burning on the chandelier to try and bring it out a tad and also rotated it CCW. I do like it this way as well.

VJspiralvariant.jpg

I like the shot and the composition. I think it might be evern better rotated another 90 degrees so that the images in the stained glass windows are the right way up.

I actually kind of prefer it upside down because it adds to the heady feeling. The original image was upside down anyhow. Thanks for the suggestion though.

just my imagination going wild

but what if you waited until the light is coming through the stained glass windows?
and what if you went to the top and shoot down instead?

I had two options, having the skylight as the focal point or having the grand piano on the ground floor as the focal point. I eventually picked the skylight because the rails lead up to the skylight, whereas in the case of the grand, it wasn't as impactful for me through the viewfinder, so I made a decision on the spot.

I don't get what you mean by the light coming through the windows though. As in light rays? That would be fascinating but throughout a year plus of observing the window I've never seen those.

I still have time to make more images of this piece of architechture, so keep the suggestions coming in! Thanks to those who have already made suggestions.

yes light rays.

just watch the position of the sun, you could also do with some smoke to
catch the light rays

If i'm not wrong the reason why this doesn't happen for this particular spiral staircase is that there's a building blocking the sun from shining straight through in the evenings when the sun is low. I might try the smoke thing, hope I don't get caught :p

an inviting portrayal of the space with well controlled colour tones ... though small parts are blown those aren't really critical for me. i will prefer to view the original image rotated 90 degree clockwise instead.

Thanks. Several orientations of the image appeal to me, I shall decide on a definite one later.

Status
Not open for further replies.