Spin-Off: What do you think about Photography in CS today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenegaeDing

Mar 4, 2006
Ed.CJ got a flaming after posting this request for opnion:

Ed.CJ said:
Hey guys, decided to come up with this thread after my little tour around Club Snap. I certainly do see many models shoot coming up in the Outings, Gathering and Events section. Some of the themes there are rather fresh and different from the contemporary pose type of shoots.

This place is definitely bustling with events for the fellow photographers with such a large pool of models and talents, be it little children or young adults. However, there seem to be many models of the female sex rather than the males..

Personally, I am a model with an international agency, but stopped for a while as i need to serve my NS. I have seen some of the local male models and they are certainly not bad and can equally be on par with the females. Are our males really that lousy?

Following next.. We see lots of nudes, lingeries.. Just the normal type of shoot where the girls dress in a skimpy way, pose and shoot. Practically it's just babes showing themselves rather liberally. Why is that the photographers here gets so "high" over it. Hmmm. Isn't Asia a rather conservative place. Why should this type of shoots be promoted so widely?

Hope i have said nothing offensive to any of you. Just an observation.. Wish to hear you guys comment and give your opinions on this. ;)

What followed was 12 pages of mostly-not-polite comments. I feel somewhat sorry for Ed.CJ who was making an effort to be polite. However, to be fair, this particular comment is impolite (and quite ungentlemanly) and was probably what sparked the flaming: :rolleyes:

Ed.CJ said:
.....Following next.. We see lots of nudes, lingeries.. Just the normal type of shoot where the girls dress in a skimpy way, pose and shoot. Practically it's just babes showing themselves rather liberally. Why is that the photographers here gets so "high" over it. Hmmm. Isn't Asia a rather conservative place. Why should this type of shoots be promoted so widely?

Actually, CS photogs have a wide range of interests: insects, flowers, LRTs, old people, kids, night scenery, weddings, etc. The above comment makes it sound like CS photogs are only interested in half-naked women. :rolleyes:

However, Ed.CJ wasn't really talking about CS photography in general, but specifically about paid model shoots: why we use mostly female models, instead of male models. I think that's a very valid and interesting point of view (if only he had omitted that rude little paragraph that got so many guys upset). I was thinking recently that it would be nice to get to shoot some cute little kids or pets or even fake wedding portfolios. :bsmilie: Maybe organisers can consider setting up such shoots. Who knows what the level of interest for such things is like? Maybe they will be just as popular or even more popular than female model shoots. :)

RenegaeDing said:

What followed was 12 pages of mostly-not-polite comments. I feel somewhat sorry for Ed.CJ who was making an effort to be polite. However, to be fair, this particular comment is impolite (and quite ungentlemanly) and was probably what sparked the flaming: :rolleyes:

Actually, CS photogs have a wide range of interests: insects, flowers, LRTs, old people, kids, night scenery, weddings, etc. The above comment makes it sound like CS photogs are only interested in half-naked women. :rolleyes:

However, Ed.CJ wasn't really talking about CS photography in general, but specifically about paid model shoots: why we use mostly female models, instead of male models. I think that's a very valid and interesting point of view (if only he had omitted that rude little paragraph that got so many guys upset). I was thinking recently that it would be nice to get to shoot some cute little kids or pets or even fake wedding portfolios. :bsmilie: Maybe organisers can consider setting up such shoots. Who knows what the level of interest for such things is like? Maybe they will be just as popular or even more popular than female model shoots. :)

i seldom shoot females, and high unlikely i'll start to shoot males... reason being, not my typical subjects... no feel... and probably, my mom, my dad, my gf etc, they see my gallery got girls, they'll say, aiya normal... but if, its ME, who have guys fotos on my gallery... imagine the impact... i guess they'll lock my dry cabinet, and send me to brainwashing... its an unavoidable mindset they have... cos its just not me... haha...

mostly guys here, 1st nature shoot girls, they will grow out of it sometime later. well some wont :bsmilie:

TMC said:
mostly guys here, 1st nature shoot girls, they will grow out of it sometime later. well some wont :bsmilie:

hmm u mean some grow out of it, or grow with it, from girls to ladies to well... mature...

anyway, its just up to each individual, got time, got money, got interest, got charbor, shoot lor... irregardless of location, timing & method... :bsmilie:

To be prefectly honest, I like shooting females simply because I like looking at females. I don't like shooting males because I don't know how to make them look good because somehow, I just don't have the eye for it. I don't feel I (or anyone) needs to shoot more male models just for the sake of political correctiness or gender equality.

We shoot what we like. Period.

RenegaeDing said:
.....I was thinking recently that it would be nice to get to shoot some cute little kids or pets or even fake wedding portfolios. :bsmilie:

So which one of the guys in CS wants to pose as bride? I'm sure we have too many grooms here. :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i seldom shoot females, and high unlikely i'll start to shoot males... reason being, not my typical subjects... no feel... and probably, my mom, my dad, my gf etc, they see my gallery got girls, they'll say, aiya normal... but if, its ME, who have guys fotos on my gallery... imagine the impact... i guess they'll lock my dry cabinet, and send me to brainwashing... its an unavoidable mindset they have... cos its just not me... haha...

better pass me your KM cam and lenses to keep in case that happens :bsmilie:

synapseman said:
To be prefectly honest, I like shooting females simply because I like looking at females. I don't like shooting males because I don't know how to make them look good because somehow, I just don't have the eye for it. I don't feel I (or anyone) needs to shoot more male models just for the sake of political correctiness or gender equality.

yup...same here. no idea how to shoot guys.

eikin said:
:think: makes sense :bsmilie:

i did try once...some singer songwriter. i found it very difficult to shoot him. pics din turn out well :(

RenegaeDing said:

the female body form has always been an important source of exotic imagination since thousands of years ago, simply because the world systems are predominantly defined by the male imagination, even at today. it's something we can't run away from, will take several hundreds of years to see changes to it :)

madmacs said:
i did try once...some singer songwriter. i found it very difficult to shoot him. pics din turn out well :(

cos u dun feel like asking them to do these...

can you bend forward?
do a 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 10... (my fren -u-know-who-u-are- told me tis... lmao)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

can you bend forward?

:think: :think: :think:

actually i could pose them same as females, but then i think end up they wont look very male liao :bsmilie:

madmacs said:
:think: :think: :think:

actually i could pose them same as females, but then i think end up they wont look very male liao :bsmilie:

u end up miserable for the rest of your life lor...

puking forever & ever amen... :sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

can you bend forward?

it's 1,2,5,7,10 lah ... where did the 3 come from :dunno:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

I think we like to shoot girls because they are easier to focus especially the low-cut types.

i only hate to shoot insects, animals, pretty models, pretty mans, stills and most hated subject was weddings.:)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

I don't think that would be a big problem unless you are talking about sexy photos of guys :bsmilie: Afterall, I've seen quite a few photos of Ah Peks in CS. I'm sure no one has second thoughts about it. :D

synapseman said:

I think it's true that preference plays a very big part in our choice of model (or style of photography, for that matter). I've seen some pretty good pics of guys, but most of them are set in exotic places like Afganistan, and are mostly street-styled photography of people smiling or going about their everyday business. :think:

I think another factor in our choice of model is also stereotype. There are tonnes of stereotypical poses for female models that photographers may like to try (and thus, are willing to pay a model for), but there aren't that many classic poses for male models.:rolleyes:

In any case, it's very true that us CSers are shooting for fun. We shoot what we like and certainly have no obligations to political correctness or gender equality. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.