Spilled coffee on my DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamypoko

Dec 18, 2007
Hello all,

I was recently in Beijing on holiday with my new DSLR camera when someone decided to accidentally bump into me while holding a can of fairly hot coffee.

It was a mild splash of coffee on my DSLR's viewfinder and buttons, luckily not on my lens area.

Now some of my DSLR buttons are a bit less responsive and my viewfinder has some sort of stain on the inside, although everything else still works fine, pictures still look good etc.

Can anyone advise me if the coffee will actually corrode the inside of the camera parts, on the button area?

Thank you and happy shooting!

I think it would be good if you can get the your cam's service center to clean up the coffee stains - altho I think you will prob have to pay for it.

While it may not pose a big prob now, it may do so later. So better to get it clean up, than to wait for something to fail, and then repair.

Sorry to hear that.
No coffee will not corrode but the sugar in it may become sticky when dried.
The first thing I would do after drying the exterior is to return to the hotel asap. Put the camera set into a thick plastics bag and insert the hose of a vacuum cleaner. Seal the plastic tight at the hose and on the vacuum to suck out any remaining coffee.
Or you can just apply the hose directly onto the area concern.

Cheers

alright,

thanks for the quick replies all ! :)

damn saddening to hear that, imagine it belongs to you. No choice send in to check, if not under warranty die already, most prob the agent will rip u off the cash knowing u are desperate to change!

damn saddening to hear that, imagine it belongs to you. No choice send in to check, if not under warranty die already, most prob the agent will rip u off the cash knowing u are desperate to change!

cost of repair n service is std base on product..entry, semi pro or pro...they dun rip ppls of just because u have to service it...this is not the car repair, electrical stuff other than the apted agent.....

Sorry to hear that.
No coffee will not corrode but the sugar in it may become sticky when dried.

Coffee contains water... but for it to corrode will take some time. The more urgent issue here is the "sticky" that fatcat mentioned here... you might have a stuck button at the time when u need it most.

Its a lesson we'll all learn... not to place our camera on any table top... unless its the olympus/pentax waterproof series :bsmilie:

Hope you get ur cam back to 100% :sweat:

If you don,t have it cleaned, mould will grow on the coffee residue, very soon, you will have a little garden in your spanking new camera. :bsmilie:

Hello all,

I was recently in Beijing on holiday with my new DSLR camera when someone decided to accidentally bump into me while holding a can of fairly hot coffee.

It was a mild splash of coffee on my DSLR's viewfinder and buttons, luckily not on my lens area.

Now some of my DSLR buttons are a bit less responsive and my viewfinder has some sort of stain on the inside, although everything else still works fine, pictures still look good etc.

Can anyone advise me if the coffee will actually corrode the inside of the camera parts, on the button area?

Thank you and happy shooting!

i just wonder if that person is doing any compensation for your servicing?

Send it back for a cleanup.
Leaving it can only make things worse.
Jag

Status
Not open for further replies.