"Spider web" like scratches on back of lens

Lookman

Dec 6, 2010
Hi Everyone,
Anyone experience this before? Anyway to clean it. Thks

hey,

photo to show? high chance is fungus.

Spider web patterns is usually a sign of fungus. Bring it to the service center to get it cleaned. Don't delay because over time fungus can secrete acid and leave permanent marks.

If you prefer to DIY, you can use a solution of hydrogen peroxide with ammonia (50/50 mix is good). Another solution is vinegar and water. Apply gently with a swab and you can see the fungus dissolve away. After cleaning, use some alcohol on a q-tip to clean the same area. Some fungus might be growing on elements on the inside of the lens, so make sure you check. If required, you need to dismantle the lens and get every spot out.

Last edited:
No photos at the moment. I'll take some later.
So its sign of fungus. Thanks for the info. Have not tried cleaning lenses before. How much do they charge for cleaning for this kind of case? Thks

Got the pic but dont know how to post it here : (
The web is approx 50% looking from the back of the lens. Btw, its Tamron 17-50mm.

Got the pic but dont know how to post it here : (
The web is approx 50% looking from the back of the lens. Btw, its Tamron 17-50mm.
Not good. I have the same problem with the same lens (my fault). Brought my lens to our valued forum DIY repair man fatigue and he explained that two groups of lens elements, both located in the rear part of the lens, are sealed groups. Which means: tricky to dismantle, certain risk of misalignment when reassembled. Contact him for further evaluation.
Alternatively, Tamron Service Center will send the lens back to Japan. There is no local servicing for that.

Thanks Octarine. Guess its RIP for this lens. Very unfortunate did not get to use this lens at all.

Thanks Octarine. Guess its RIP for this lens. Very unfortunate did not get to use this lens at all.

The Tamron 17-50 is not an expensive lens. Better to lay it to rest. In the meantime beef up your anti-fungal protection. Get a dry cab if you don't already have one, and if you do, check if it is working well. Test the hygrometer using the salt test to make sure it is accurate.

Thanks for the advice Daredevil123. And advise to myself and others is to check when buying things from CS : )

Are you saying that you bought it off someone? If it is a recent transaction, you could not have caused the problem (assuming it IS fungus) and you should inform the buyer to see if you can get a refund especially if he did not mention it. If it has been some time now, then I don't think it's fair to make such a statement as you can easily take steps towards preventing it.

On a separate note, if it doesn't affect your photographs, you can still use it, though I would definitely get a dry cabinet or dry box to prevent further growth if you don't already have it.

Edutilos... I bought it yesterday. The seller put cond. as 9. Sms him for glass cond & he said good cond. Met him and i just did a quick check on the front glass. Trusted him and made the payment. When reached home about to put on my cam then notice that web.... sms him and he said it does not affect IQ but I cannot accept the lens... and the story goes on. Too long for me to explain....

Edutilos... I bought it yesterday. The seller put cond. as 9. Sms him for glass cond & he said good cond. Met him and i just did a quick check on the front glass. Trusted him and made the payment. When reached home about to put on my cam then notice that web.... sms him and he said it does not affect IQ but I cannot accept the lens... and the story goes on. Too long for me to explain....

Well you can ask for your money back and return the lens to him. And expose him here if he refuses.

Come on the seller is being ridiculous. You are being too nice. There is no place here for such seemingly unethical behaviour although you prob should and could have been more thorough.

A fungused lens is not condition 9.5.

I think if your account of the incident is true you are definitely in the right unless seller had stated that there was fungus.

My suggestion is to list down his number so that others can be more careful when dealing with this guy next time by doing a search for his number. Cheers.

I asked for refund but he kept saying it does not affect IQ and thats the reason he did not told me of the web thingy. I insisted that I cannot accept that condition and wanted a refund. He then did not reply to my sms. This morning he sms me saying he needed money for his sick mom and cannot refund me at this moment. Told him I'm sorry for his mom however I still want a refund as I felt unfair on my part. Then he kept silent again. I have not sms him thereafter.

I asked for refund but he kept saying it does not affect IQ and thats the reason he did not told me of the web thingy. I insisted that I cannot accept that condition and wanted a refund. He then did not reply to my sms. This morning he sms me saying he needed money for his sick mom and cannot refund me at this moment. Told him I'm sorry for his mom however I still want a refund as I felt unfair on my part. Then he kept silent again. I have not sms him thereafter.

What???!! But did he even mentioned about fungus in the lens on the Ad itself?

Time to expose him here. What he did was fraud.

I hope you would be able to share his contact with us so that we can take note. We all have a part to play in making CS a better place for everyone. He should also be given the chance to defend himself, if he so chooses.