spicy spicy smack smack its gonna give u a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidbloke

Jan 12, 2007
_DSC6654.jpg

spicy spicy smack smack its gonna give u a heart attack. trying my hand at food photography. any comments?

Too centralised.
If it's not OOF on purpose, the soft look doesn't work for me.

your highlights look like streaks of light due to unsteady hands...

Too centralised.
If it's not OOF on purpose, the soft look doesn't work for me.

dont get the TOO centralised bit. just wondering how something can be too centralised. not OFF or soft look. thin dof, i thought would be nice if i shot with a thinner dof to highlight the chilli in the centre.

Not Sharp, too warm, too far away, bad angle, bad subject, too much depth of field, distracting background and poor light.

dude, had a rough day? well i did shoot at 2.8 so it the sharpest my lense could go. (shot with a rented sigma 15mm fisheye). i think the warmness brings out the fact that chilli is hot and spicy. it was shot at minimum focusing distance any closer and i would have cast a shadow or get my lense in some oil. so should i go lower or higher since this is a bad angle? and why is it a "bad" subject? too much dof or too little? cause im shooting at the thinnest dof possible already. i agree with you on the distracting background.

the thing about lighting is, idk how to improve it. is it under/over?

its rather easy to make sweeping statements. i think you are being brutally unfair and non constructive. call it big daddy syndrome but, everybody has some amount of pride for their work and as much as i am supposed to take comments maturely i think u need to make them maturely as well by at least explaining your view and suggest ways to improve.

your highlights look like streaks of light due to unsteady hands...

hmmm...idk. definitely not HS. rested my hand on the table to take the shot. and shot at 1/13 focal length is 15mm which means im pretty safe. the oil la...but i look at it damn lemak...i showed this to a few people they also said they feel hungry lol.

Give me a break, ive listed whats wrong and im not being brutally unfair. Why were you shooting at 2.8? Why not stop down? That would solve your sharpness issue, and the dof issue (too much not too little). The angle needs to be higher, 45 degrees is the best for food usually. You can crop too, so take a step back and crop in, saves your lens getting oily and you'll get closer. Its a bad subject cos its boring. Its a bowel of chilli, so what? Find something interesting, like a meal, condoments arnt usually that interesting anyway. And you could have just moved the stuff in the background away, or crop it out, this photo just screams lazy and careless. If you want comments accept them, otherwise a) dont ask for them, and b) lock your thread.

They wernt sweaping statements either, they were specific to your shot. I ll happily explain my views more, like ive just done, but you have to explain more about the picture rather than just giving it a silly name and asking for comments. Its ok to have pride in your work, but when you explain away everyones comments and ignore them basically, you wont be helping yourself out at all.

hmmm...idk. definitely not HS. rested my hand on the table to take the shot. and shot at 1/13 focal length is 15mm which means im pretty safe. the oil la...but i look at it damn lemak...i showed this to a few people they also said they feel hungry lol.

and you're so sure that the table NEVER rocked or something else caused the movement? 1/13 at 15mm doesn't mean you're safe esp if you're not using a ff.

stupidbloke and wildstallion, please do not get into a tit for tat here. and for others, please do not add unnecessary comments to incite any anger in an insensitive way. discussion will carry on for now, get over any personal grudges that may be present.

as for others watching,

for critique seekers, please be clear in your photographic intention and/or areas you want to seek critique. if need, there are guides in the stickies on top of the Critique Corner section. accept comments with humility. if there's a need to disagree, state your case in a clear and precise manner without being personal.

for critics, and those attempting to critique, please write in a concise manner without ambiguity. substantiate good/bad points with explanations/examples where needed. there are guides in the stickies as well if you wish to contribute some thoughts but do not know how to word it.

Well IMHO, photography is really up to one's perspective. It may look great to you, but not to others. After telling me that you intended to just focus on the chilli in the centre, I still don't see any that's sharp? Different people have different expectations of what is "sharp".

What I've said is just my opinion and views. You can accept it or ignore it.

"a) Critique Corner is created for the sole and single purpose of getting feedback on images - feedback can be both good and bad, be prepared to take both in good faith."

Cheers.

hi there just posting some humble views that may not necessarily be 'right', since some may argue there's no right or wrong to creative expression.

1.too warm...i know you want to make the red punchier but i think if u contrast it against a whiter dish, it'll be even punchier
2.angle of elevation, i think a little higher and shooting the subject with a diagonal approach would be better. this angle is a little too general
3.DOF too thin and you don't really have a subject of interest, just a focussed plane of chillis
4.Multiple blurred reflections in foreground and background are indeed distracting.

Once again, I'm no expert but I hope you find my POV constructive :)

In my opinion, a bit of shake and a little more of DOF would have helped. The background on top a little distracting. Good idea though.

Give me a break, ive listed whats wrong and im not being brutally unfair. Why were you shooting at 2.8? Why not stop down? That would solve your sharpness issue, and the dof issue (too much not too little). The angle needs to be higher, 45 degrees is the best for food usually. You can crop too, so take a step back and crop in, saves your lens getting oily and you'll get closer. Its a bad subject cos its boring. Its a bowel of chilli, so what? Find something interesting, like a meal, condoments arnt usually that interesting anyway. And you could have just moved the stuff in the background away, or crop it out, this photo just screams lazy and careless. If you want comments accept them, otherwise a) dont ask for them, and b) lock your thread.

They wernt sweaping statements either, they were specific to your shot. I ll happily explain my views more, like ive just done, but you have to explain more about the picture rather than just giving it a silly name and asking for comments. Its ok to have pride in your work, but when you explain away everyones comments and ignore them basically, you wont be helping yourself out at all.

now isnt that better. thank you very much i will take your feedback into consideration for my improvement.

stupidbloke and wildstallion, please do not get into a tit for tat here. and for others, please do not add unnecessary comments to incite any anger in an insensitive way. discussion will carry on for now, get over any personal grudges that may be present.

as for others watching,

for critique seekers, please be clear in your photographic intention and/or areas you want to seek critique. if need, there are guides in the stickies on top of the Critique Corner section. accept comments with humility. if there's a need to disagree, state your case in a clear and precise manner without being personal.

for critics, and those attempting to critique, please write in a concise manner without ambiguity. substantiate good/bad points with explanations/examples where needed. there are guides in the stickies as well if you wish to contribute some thoughts but do not know how to word it.

no worries moderator. thanks for the advice

hi there just posting some humble views that may not necessarily be 'right', since some may argue there's no right or wrong to creative expression.

1.too warm...i know you want to make the red punchier but i think if u contrast it against a whiter dish, it'll be even punchier
2.angle of elevation, i think a little higher and shooting the subject with a diagonal approach would be better. this angle is a little too general
3.DOF too thin and you don't really have a subject of interest, just a focussed plane of chillis
4.Multiple blurred reflections in foreground and background are indeed distracting.

Once again, I'm no expert but I hope you find my POV constructive :)

great thanks...i get your point on the too warm thing thanks.

In my opinion, a bit of shake and a little more of DOF would have helped. The background on top a little distracting. Good idea though.

thanks

Circle circle dot dot, i got my cootie shot.

I think the subject lacks depth (not depth of field) and has no meaning whatsoever to the viewer. It just screams pure laziness. No prior food styling or preparation, it looks like you decided to be 'arty' and snap a couple of the chili side dish while waiting for your sharks fin soup to arrive, and hope to get away with it.

Nope.

if you are gonna take up close photos, you would have to use a larger F-stop. The lights are off so are the other distractions on the top part of the photo. seriously and sadly i do not see any spice in it.

ps: no offence but if you post it at this section expect some harsh feedback!

i don't understand why after explaining, there are still postings attempting to start worthless arguments.

unnecessarily aggressive postings removed. since TS has not replied for 3 days, and this thread is attracting spiteful postings. thread will be closed.

untitled-ego said:
eikin said:
Dear untitled-ego,

You have received an infraction at ClubSNAP Photography Forums.

Reason: Major Guideline Violation
-------
please be reminded that personal attacks are not tolerated in the forum.
-------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
[post]3897048[/post]
i hope you are not as your nick suggest. try again boy!!

ClubSNAP Photography Forums

go ahead!!! u might as well delete off the TS thread.

members who obviously refuse to abide by the forum rules and guidelines do not deserve a membership here.

untitled-ego is hereby deregistered.

for all reading this, please exercise responsibilities in your postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.