Spend time with an expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

murgab

Jan 14, 2006
I would love to spend some time with a professional photographer to get some tips but i have no idea about how go about it.
I found a website that offers it as a prize at www.seenew.com, but that is only for entrants with phone cameras.
does anyone know of any similar competitions for regular cameras?

not that I know of but you can offer yourself as an asistant to the many photographers out there.

Good sincere posting. :) This is a great way to improve your skills. I've spent time with two pro's from this forum and have learned more from them than in any reading I've done in the past. I might suggest joining some of the organized shoots. You could join either the free 'walk-about' type shoots or pay and go to a model shoot. You are most likely to meet some very experience and friendly people there.

Another suggestion would be to state what kind of photography you are most interested in learning: Modeling/fashion, products, street/journalistic, abstract/fine art, macro, travel, and then look for an assisting apprenticeship.

Cheers and Upz for you. :thumbsup:

-steve

In my opinion like many others, you must know what you like and capable of before going into apprenticeship or help them during your off days. I think it is hard for professional photographers to hire or teach someone from ground zero. Especially if they are good, they have no time to waste. To follow a photographer around for shoot is worst because they don't need you there anyway. Basically in this industry, you would find 2 types of professionals. One is event and wedding photographer and the other is advertising photographer. For the formal, its easier to pickup I guess but you must love to meet all kinds of people and make them look good in short. As for the latter you must be somehow a perfectionist or a creative person and technically good to deal with art and creative directors. You must be able to light up everything from a diamond to a aeroplane, from a dog to a shopping centre and you name it. Steep learning curve that can't be done without an art foundation. These are just some points to get you going with your thoughts. Hope it helps. Cheers.

LucidaM said:
In my opinion like many others, you must know what you like and capable of before going into apprenticeship or help them during your off days. I think it is hard for professional photographers to hire or teach someone from ground zero. Especially if they are good, they have no time to waste. To follow a photographer around for shoot is worst because they don't need you there anyway. Basically in this industry, you would find 2 types of professionals. One is event and wedding photographer and the other is advertising photographer. For the formal, its easier to pickup I guess but you must love to meet all kinds of people and make them look good in short. As for the latter you must be somehow a perfectionist or a creative person and technically good to deal with art and creative directors. You must be able to light up everything from a diamond to a aeroplane, from a dog to a shopping centre and you name it. Steep learning curve that can't be done without an art foundation. These are just some points to get you going with your thoughts. Hope it helps. Cheers.

I concur! If you want to learn from an expert, make sure you are an spectator, not a leech.

Status
Not open for further replies.