Speedlite Flashes queries for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GummyBerryJuice

May 1, 2007
Hougang, Singapore
Would like to consult you guys regarding the above.....
With a range of selections of speedlite flashes by canon....

1) Is there a difference in terms of specification between each other? e.g. Speedlite 580EX and a 220EX

2) What are the recommendations for a newbie like me who has a keen interests in studio and probably wedding event photography?

:think:

Ah Pao

Nov 7, 2003
Singapore
www.facebook.com
The main difference among the various Canon Speedlites is the power output. The Speedlite's model number is a good gauge of the power of the flash. The 580EX is more powerful in light output compared to the 430EX, for example.

The flagship Speedlite model is the 580EX II which is most powerful, has weather sealing, silent refreshing and better build than its predecessors.

Most hobbyists would go for the 430EX instead with less light output, less functions but cheaper.

If you are gearing for serious actual-day wedding usage, go for the 580EX II. Studio enthusiasts will recommend studio lighting which is out of the league of Speedlites.

GummyBerryJuice

May 1, 2007
Hougang, Singapore
The main difference among the various Canon Speedlites is the power output. The Speedlite's model number is a good gauge of the power of the flash. The 580EX is more powerful in light output compared to the 430EX, for example.

The flagship Speedlite model is the 580EX II which is most powerful, has weather sealing, silent refreshing and better build than its predecessors.

Most hobbyists would go for the 430EX instead with less light output, less functions but cheaper.

If you are gearing for serious actual-day wedding usage, go for the 580EX II. Studio enthusiasts will recommend studio lighting which is out of the league of Speedlites.
ahhh....ok....

Snoweagle

Jan 26, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
The 580EX II has the same output power as the 580EX, except that the II as said is weather sealed, have a metal hotshoe mount, 20% faster flash recycling time, a different design and other minor upgrades. If these new features are not that needed, the 580EX should suffice.

the6thday

Jul 8, 2006
if you intend to do anything other than flash directly, get the 580 EX. it won't be powerful enough otherwise.

i've got a 580 EX and sometimes have problems getting enough light to bounce off the walls, high ceilings, etc. Have to up the compensation (which is not preferable cos you'd have to keep changing it as you move around the room).

grantyale

Oct 4, 2004
Bedok
How do you compensate for inadequate power from the flash?

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
if you intend to do anything other than flash directly, get the 580 EX. it won't be powerful enough otherwise.

i've got a 580 EX and sometimes have problems getting enough light to bounce off the walls, high ceilings, etc. Have to up the compensation (which is not preferable cos you'd have to keep changing it as you move around the room).
Looks like mistaken technique more than equipment limitations.

It's like having a car that can only drive at a max of 150km/h. You can top up fuel, change the lubricant, wipe the windows, and maybe change your upholstery, and it'll still max out at 150km/h.

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
If it's at 1/1 at manual mode, it's already very powerful unless u're standing more than a hundred metres or so away.
He was referring to the6thday's post. If you're getting underexposure from bounce flash, pumping flash exposure will not help at all.

miniUltraman

Feb 27, 2006
U mean EF 16-35 f/2.8L??
Sorry lah.. so fast so many pple correct me :bsmilie: my bad.. yup.. EF 16-35f/2.8L.. EFS where got L orh :sweatsm:
I heard from many "pro" saying canon wide angle no good enough.. maybe that is the reason why many go for nikon wide angle on canon body :lovegrin:

grantyale

Oct 4, 2004
Bedok
He was referring to the6thday's post. If you're getting underexposure from bounce flash, pumping flash exposure will not help at all.
You're right. That's why I was wondering what he actually meant by that. :dunno:

the6thday

Jul 8, 2006
dunno leh, i tried and it worked for certain situations. of course there will be a point whereby the room is just too big/ceiling too high and no amount of exposure compensation will help.

perhaps it worked in some of the situations that i was in because the flash was under-exposing. can't tell you for sure the reasons cos too many variables involved (e.g. layout of the room, reflectivity of the surfaces, colour of the surfaces, objects in the room, angle of bounce, distance covered, ISO used etc.)

in summary, my point is that if you are not flashing directly (e.g. bouncing), get the most powerful flash available. because the most powerful flash available in canon's lineup is still not powerful enough in my opinion.

a small aside: i tried using flash on a car that was about 50m down the street (think i used ISO 400). it came out fine! tried flash on this big bungalow opposite the road (about 20m away). lit up the whole bungalow! so, the 580EX is very powerful...but still not powerful enough for bounce photography in large rooms (e.g. banquet rooms with high ceilings) or mid-sized rooms with low reflectivity (e.g. matte finish wooden panelling).

Looks like mistaken technique more than equipment limitations.

It's like having a car that can only drive at a max of 150km/h. You can top up fuel, change the lubricant, wipe the windows, and maybe change your upholstery, and it'll still max out at 150km/h.

Status
Not open for further replies.