Speedlite 600EX-RT

Recent read, the speedlites are using frequency 2.4GHz which is different from the frequencies that pocketwizard and other transmitters used.

The closest transmitter that had this frequencies is profoto Air.
Maybe can use to trigger the profoto systems.

Another video on the flashgun.

Woow.... the 5DmkIII have wireless radio control too!!! (I saw the videos show the 5DmkIII menu and also, wireless radio trigger & wireless optical to trigger the flash, so I thought this 5DmkIII is really powerful!!!)

I think very soon, wireless transmission will be found in Canon body (I was referring to wireless file transmission using radio technology to transfer files from body to laptop/ pc)............ :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Woow.... the 5DmkIII have wireless radio control too!!!

I think very soon, wireless transmission will be found in Canon body............ :thumbsup:

i am a bit confused here. 580EX II also uses radio frequency too?

cause i tested it and put it behind my 7D, not in LOS with built in flash but the speedlite fires too.

so can the 5DMKIII control the 580EX II without having a flash on the hot shoe, or i have to buy the 600EX-RT just to have the new RT functions?

Woow.... the 5DmkIII have wireless radio control too!!!

I think very soon, wireless transmission will be found in Canon body............ :thumbsup:

you mean the transmitter's control setting can be done through the body menu right?

5dmk3 doesn't have built-in transmitter in the body.

cause i tested it and put it behind my 7D, not in LOS with built in flash but the speedlite fires too.

so can the 5DMKIII control the 580EX II without having a flash on the hot shoe, or i have to buy the 600EX-RT just to have the new RT functions?

580EXII is optically trigger, not RF trigger. 5D3 doesn't have buildin flash or RF commander, so can trigger 580EXII with a flash on its hotshoe.

GRbenji said:
580EXII is optically trigger, not RF trigger. 5D3 doesn't have buildin flash or RF commander, so can trigger 580EXII with a flash on its hotshoe.

So it's basically a smarter optical trigger which can carry E-TTL information, rather then those dumb optical trigger used in cheap manual flash?

Wah means need to get at least another 580EX II to act as master flash, if wanna get 5DMKIII.

So it's basically a smarter optical trigger which can carry E-TTL information, rather then those dumb optical trigger used in cheap manual flash?

Wah means need to get at least another 580EX II to act as master flash, if wanna get 5DMKIII.

Yup. More than just eTTL info, channel and group too.

I thought I saw in the video, they show the wireless radio trigger & wireless optical to trigger the flash??? Did I interpret wrongly??? :think::think::(

you mean the transmitter's control setting can be done through the body menu right?

5dmk3 doesn't have built-in transmitter in the body.

I saw in the other video, ST-E3 RT was used to adjust the 3 600EX-RT without touching the flash......so, yes, the ST-E3 LCD menu... I am sorry if I have caused confusions......

I thought that I saw the guy show the menu and have wireless radio and wireless optical control???? :think:

I thought I saw in the video, they show the wireless radio trigger & wireless optical to trigger the flash??? Did I interpret wrongly??? :think::think::(

Which video?

Nope... I was not referring to the 580IIEX...

The 580EX II can only use the optical trigger... if you are in a small room, it could be possible cause the infra light get reflected and trigger it... I have such encounter too.....

Ok, I saw in the 5DmkIII menu have Wireless Optical & wireless Radio trigger control... but I am also not so sure..... :(

Ok, I saw in the 5DmkIII menu have Wireless Optical & wireless Radio trigger control... but I am also not so sure..... :(

That's when you have a 600EX-RT on its hotshoe. Otherwise menu is not available, just like 580EXII on 5D2.

That's when you have a 600EX-RT on its hotshoe. Otherwise menu is not available, just like 580EXII on 5D2.

OIC..... I thought they show it without the 600EXRT.... I am sorry for the confusions caused.....

But I cannot wait for this to arrive in Singapore.... and hope to read more reviews on this!!! :)

Brief explanation on the flashes to have a clear view on the usage.

600EX-RT - has wireless radio & wireless optical. Only 1Dx and 5D3 able to control the flash through its menus for wireless radio
600EX - has only wireless optical. All cameras able to control the flash through its menus.
580EX MKII - has only wireless optical. All cameras able to control the flash through its menus.

Do take note the wireless radio symbol is an international used symbol for wireless equipments using 2.4GHz. like our routers etc.

Just to add on, in case some still don't know:

The 600EX series was launched in tandem with the 1D X and 5D Mark III. With the new speedlites, you are able to make full use of the 61 AF points, as compared to the 45 AF point system supported by 580EX II and earlier models.

Great idea for Canon to include wireless in the new flash design.
But for most photographers who already have few sets of PWs and Speedlites, it will be expensive to change over to 600EX RT now. Image selling at huge lost and then paying a huge premium for few sets of the new 600EX RT. Phew!:sweat: