Speedlights in Dry Cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottipiglet

Apr 20, 2006
I actually keep my speedlight in the dry cabinet. My question is... since it does not have a lens on it, is it necessary to keep it in the dry cabinet?

If your cabi still have enough space, why not?

Remember to remove the batts ( applies to even not in dry cabi when u r not using it for long )

Think my previous SB800 manual mentioned about storing in cool dry places as well.

Ryan

Nope you don't have to but I find it easier to keep all camera gear together as it's easier to pack / organize.

I store all my cam equipment there... actually, I've been seeing it as a storage space more than just a dry cabi. Easier mah to organize your stuff...

The reason I ask is because I am lazy. ;p

I take pictures around the house quite often. It is a bit troublesome to remove the diffuser attachment for storage... and then reattach it when I want to use it. It gets even more troublesome when I want to use it off-camera. I thought perhaps I can just leave the whole setup outside and ready for quick deployment. ;)

If you drop your phone into water and it stopped working, dry it first than put it into the dry box. After a few days, it may work again. It happened to me and I managed to revive my HP this way. Haha.

If you drop your phone into water and it stopped working, dry it first than put it into the dry box. After a few days, it may work again. It happened to me and I managed to revive my HP this way. Haha.

Haha... you don't actually need to put it in the dry box, though it probably dries faster if you do. It's like if you pour water on your laptop, you just need to make sure you remove the power and leave it alone for a day or two, so that all the water will dry out... and it will work again. If you power on immediately, you risk shorting something out and the damage will be permanent. ;)

Come to think of it... I don't think it is necessary to put the speedlight in the dry cabinet. We don't put our handphones or laptops in the cabinet, so why should the speedlight be any different, right? I think for lenses and cameras, the optical elements degrade with any fungus on them. Also, they tend to attract condensation, which increases the risk of fungus. I don't see any such problems with a flash.

Last edited:
I store all my photography equipments in the dry box. Think it is beneficial especially after a day of outdoor shooting in this super humid Singapore. Also easier to get the equipments later since all are stored together. But remember to remove the battery. :D

I store all my photography equipments in the dry box. Think it is beneficial especially after a day of outdoor shooting in this super humid Singapore. Also easier to get the equipments later since all are stored together. But remember to remove the battery. :D

Do we need to remove the batteries? Do the NiMH or Li-ion batteries leak? :dunno:

Nice... Should've asked my friend to try this for his iPhone which he brought for a quick swim. OK sorry for OTing.

Just remove the batteries to be safe. You can keep the Speedlight in or out of the drybox. It's fine either way.

It is not necessary to keep the flash in the dry cab and like most of the members had commented, it is more for ease of access and organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.