Speedlight or speed lense ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyou99

Dec 30, 2007
Dear Brothers,

I am new in DSLR and I hope someone can advise.

I recently got my D60 and plan to upgrade with one of the following options

1. Speedlight SB-600
2. Speed lense

To take kids photo in house and some time outdoor, which option should I go first. If speed lense is recommended, which lense should I go for (third party lense is welcomed).

My budget should not exceed $600.

If you have the VR kit lens, it should be good enough for your needs. AFD 50mm F1.4 which suppose to be the ideal lens for potrait but does not auto-focus on your D60.

Can consider Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM.

If you have the VR kit lens, it should be good enough for your needs. AFD 50mm F1.4 which suppose to be the ideal lens for potrait but does not auto-focus on your D60.

Can consider Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM.

this sigma lens is $800?

Should you rephrase your title to VR or fast lens? I find the flash is an essential item for photography. You're gonna need that some time or another.

On the other hand, putting it broadly, VR helps to reduce your own camera shakes, whereas a fast lens can help to reduce the impact from subject movement.

Dear Brothers,

I am new in DSLR and I hope someone can advise.

I recently got my D60 and plan to upgrade with one of the following options

1. Speedlight SB-600
2. Speed lense

To take kids photo in house and some time outdoor, which option should I go first. If speed lense is recommended, which lense should I go for (third party lense is welcomed).

My budget should not exceed $600.

Speedlight is a better option. Speed lenses in very dark conditions is also unable to perform that fast.

does D60 already has a pop up flash to freeze motion?

normal circumstances i would say go for the flash first rather than the lens.
But now, u are going to snap snap and snap pics of your kids. u want them to go blind meh?
Better get a cheap 2nd hand 50mm f1.8 (around $140) to play play first.

work with what you have.

increase your shutter speed.
increase your iso.

if not fast enough, check whether your flash can high sync. if possible. buy that flash that can high sync.

you can always bounce flash off your house wall, ceiling.

1/2000 can stop bullet !

if you want to buy lens, buy 85mm 1.8 and stand lower and further away, shooting close with 50mm 1.8 will make your kid head very big !

it is more easy to shoot your child running towards you than running from left to right of your frame.

normal circumstances i would say go for the flash first rather than the lens.
But now, u are going to snap snap and snap pics of your kids. u want them to go blind meh?
Better get a cheap 2nd hand 50mm f1.8 (around $140) to play play first.

why get second hand?

Can get 50mm f1.8 at MSColor AMK for $139.

work with what you have.

increase your shutter speed.
increase your iso.

if not fast enough, check whether your flash can high sync. if possible. buy that flash that can high sync.

you can always bounce flash off your house wall, ceiling.

1/2000 can stop bullet !

but when to click the shutter in order to capture the bullet at 1/2000 sec? 60 fps?

Actually a fast lens + iso800 can capture most things when the ceiling lights are switched on.

fast moving children? Sigma 30 1.4... more width than 50mm so easier to catch them...

flash lar!

and before anyone gets carried away i think the maximum flash sync speed is 1/200 sec ah. for the d60 at least. which is enough to freeze most kids movement.

flash is a good investment ur gonna get it anyway. might as well get it and learn to use it.

go for the speedlight. You'll be using it more.

Depends on the age of ur kid..

if infant... get a fast lens. 50mm F1.8D is good enough to be used indoors and using sunlight. Bump iso to 800.

if kids that can walk or run liao.. get the flash.. more photography options. Also.. dun forget a diffuser for the flash to take away the harshness.

Thanks all brothers for all advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.