SpeedLight 550EX - Change in design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karwing

Dec 1, 2003
AMK
Has the design of the battery cover used in the 550EX been changed?

It seems that the battery cover can't open fully without additional force, i.e. the cover only open to a 45deg angle. Only when additional force is added, the cover will open fully with a loud "click"

I understand the previous (2 yrs ago?) design wasn't like that.

Is it a new design to prevent the batteries from falling out?

thanx in advance! =)

thanx for the prompt reply... is the click sound loud? cos mine sound like plastic hinge is breaking (not that it is).

Kit said:
I've got 2 550s, one bought more than 2 years ago, the other is about 9 months old. Battery cover on both opens with a click.

Yes it's pretty loud, and No, it doesn't prevent the batteries from falling out. I know, cos it happened to me twice before, and it can be quite :embrass:

I find that the cover is a bit too loose, perhaps because I'm using NiMH batteries. I'd rather it has an additional release catch/button to push before the lid can be opened.

i do not like the design of the battery latch as well, could it be made with a locking pin as i always accidently open the battery latch during shooting. i like to hold the flash on my left hand when using small primes.

also the loud sound when opening the latch, its worse on the EX420, trust me. i owned 2 of each lights before all have the same latch 'crack' sound. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.