Speed of microdrive vs compact flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyopk

Jun 25, 2004
Hi, I am thinking of getting a 1G microdrive for my camera but it is too expensive. :think:

So I am wondering if the speed of the microdrive is significantly faster than that of normal compact flash (20 times) card? Anyone one can tell me more in details so that I can decide whether to spend the money? :D

Coz I find that the speed of my compact flash is a bit slow for my camera, it takes a few seconds for the picture taken to be stored into the card, so I have to wait for a few seconds before I can start taking pictures again. :D

:dunno: I thought that microdrives are slower than Compact Flash Card. This is true from my experience.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

this site provides some reading of the speed of cards compares with the camera model.

tokyopk said:
Hi, I am thinking of getting a 1G microdrive for my camera but it is too expensive. :think:

So I am wondering if the speed of the microdrive is significantly faster than that of normal compact flash (20 times) card? Anyone one can tell me more in details so that I can decide whether to spend the money? :D

Coz I find that the speed of my compact flash is a bit slow for my camera, it takes a few seconds for the picture taken to be stored into the card, so I have to wait for a few seconds before I can start taking pictures again. :D

Serious? Then why is the price of microdrives so expensive? So what is the speed of your compact flash and your microdrive? :D

My compact flash speed is 20 times. Is this considered fast or slow? So most probably microdrives will be slower? :confused:

tokyopk said:
Serious? Then why is the price of microdrives so expensive? So what is the speed of your compact flash and your microdrive? :D

My compact flash speed is 20 times. Is this considered fast or slow? So most probably microdrives will be slower? :confused:

you must be mistaken...
a 1gb microdrive costs less than a 1gb cf card

if the transfer speed is slow, its likely to be your camera...
...what camera are you using by the way?

tokyopk said:

MD are much slower than most CF..... ur CF 20x are consider normal speed these days..... maybe u can try lexar 40x WA PRO series if ur using nikon or fujifilm DSLR....if its not supported for lexar WA....its just a 40x.... currently highest write speed should be LEXAR 80x WA PRO ....but its still quite expensive..... the next better is the Sandisk ULTRA2 which is 66x....

lexar 80x wa PRO is available from Econvergence at SLS 6th flr
Sandisk ultra2 can get from www.massorder.com or www.flashcard-bestbuy.com

Cheers

Ok....... I am getting more confused........ so compact flash is faster? But they also have different speed right? I actually have a 128M CF and 256CF, seems that 128CF is much much slower but I cannot find any information on the speed of the CF card. Both of the same brand. :confused:

How do we know exactly what their speed is? :confused:

So from experience, with the same size, most likely CF will be faster? :confused:

:D

Bottomline is megabyte for megabyte microdrive is always cheaper than CF card.

tokyopk said:
Ok....... I am getting more confused........ so compact flash is faster? But they also have different speed right? I actually have a 128M CF and 256CF, seems that 128CF is much much slower but I cannot find any information on the speed of the CF card. Both of the same brand. :confused:

How do we know exactly what their speed is? :confused:

So from experience, with the same size, most likely CF will be faster? :confused:

:D

heh... first things first...
...is your camera microdrive-compatible?

Yes is compatible. Finepix 602z :)

(Hope I didn't remember wrongly............) :think:

tokyopk said:
Yes is compatible. Finepix 602z :)

(Hope I didn't remember wrongly............) :think:
ah... then i would recommend getting the MD.
cuz for some funny reasons, fuji cameras work better with microdrives.
but u'll need to handle the drive with care. if not... :cry:

Then can 602z users recommend me which one to use is better? :lovegrin:

Coz last time I read somewhere that MD and SD (hope I didn't remember wrongly as well) is better for my camera too. But somehow I cannot afford it so was using 256M CF all the while. And somehow it didn't give me any problems. :bsmilie:

So now a bit confused as to whether MD should be more suitable (maybe faster or what.........)?

Anyway, if I were to buy new cards for my camera, which one would you recommend for my camera? :D

Can't comment about Fuji (I'm using D100). On my cam, CF is very noticably faster than MD. Also don't have to worry as much about handling of the card when using CF as compared to MD (handle with care).

actually a few pieces of 512mb cf card + those xdrivepro thingy will do for many people already ;-)

i used both 602z and S2pro.
microdrives perform very well on these cameras. on the S2pro, even the sandisk extreme 1gb has only marginal read/write speed advantage over the MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.