Speed cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyewkay

Sep 22, 2004
Cons digger.
I was just wondering how the traffic police actually capture those speeding cars, especially at night.To capture fast objects without flash (those hidden cameras), we need a large aperture in order for a fast shutter speed to see the license plate clearly.

Large aperture especially if they are using a long focal length to capture you far far away will result in a super shallow DOF.

Also the headlights will also be glaring at the lens.. mm. so.. how did they do it? :dunno:

Anyone tried any thing similar?

Lensman

Feb 12, 2002
Singapore & Hong Kong
Oh, they do have flash.

Notice that there are always 2 device. One with a 6-square opening and another is a round opening.

I am not sure which is for the flash and the picture. But I have seen it in action at night.

And when triggered it will take 2 photo, the flash is bright green in color. Like a laser show....

the one I saw in Taipei , has a white flash - like the conventional flash light.

Heard that the new generation of speed device uses infra-red flash which is invicible to the eyes....

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
so, if you are beating red lights and saw two simultaneous flashes of light, you can almost be sure that your car has been photographed.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
There are the yellow boxes near the traffic lights, and the black ones on the side of the roads. I'll take photographs of them next time :D

Sep 12, 2004
AReality said:
Hmmm... :think: if I put my speedlite on optical slave mode, U think it'll work?
I thought I like all cameras. This thread makes me remember that I hate speed cameras... Don't make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom