Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgim80

Jul 1, 2008
North East
Spectrum
4109538046_207e991495_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Mostly, I would like to get feedback on framing and whether it had brought out the colours well

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Colours are part of our everyday life. Yet we often take these instruments for granted. They sit on an artist's work table, waiting for their opportunity to bring monochromatic sketches into their full technicolour glory.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was in a stationary shop when I spotted this rack of expensive coloured pencils that stood out in the monotony of the place.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Some highlights blown due to white paint used to label the pencils. It still does not look like i'm focused on anything as well. Picture is soft at some places and noise seems to show even though I was shooting at 200. Might be a bit tilted but I can't be sure.

All C&C very welcome.

TIA!

for a shot like this(showing many colours), it doesn't have enough vibrancy. the lighting on the top and bottom row is also a little flat compared to the middle row which has overexposure on the middle colours.

i still dun understand what u hope to achieve with this shot..what does monochromatic sketches have to do with this? not much link here....(i.e. not much story)

ok. a riot of colours. i can live with that, as a study in colour. but if it is a study in color, why do i have to see random numbers floating through the image?

if it is not a study in colour.. then there needs to be a focal point, there is none here.

my suggestion is to go closer up, exclude the numbers somehow.

an alternative is cloning, if you're into that.

ok. a riot of colours. i can live with that, as a study in colour. but if it is a study in color, why do i have to see random numbers floating through the image?

if it is not a study in colour.. then there needs to be a focal point, there is none here.

my suggestion is to go closer up, exclude the numbers somehow.

an alternative is cloning, if you're into that.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hi night86mare, you are saying I shd clone away all the labels on the pencils and those on the shelves? Think I can do that later, see how it turns out.

Hi nysheng, not sure about the overexposure on the center row, rather low contrast due to the lighter shades and white labels. I would probably drop the highlights down and shadows/mids up to overcome the flat lighting, you guys think it will work?

Will post up a reworked version tonight.

Sorry for OT.

Shaoken: yeah! i still drop by lomotion once in a while, still got all my cams and my lc-a coming in next week! =D

4119611706_bce054b71b_b.jpg

After some cloning and a bit of colour correction.

Still no clear definition of individual color pencils. I think your next best bet, is to reshoot.

Thank you for your comments.

I will work on my framing.

I think the problem here is not about the framing. But its more on how are you going to compose and make a subject out of it. It may be a picture of great frames, but no point of interest in the pic makes it weak.

nice striking colours, but the image is somewhat soft and lacks texture. suggest bringing out the richness of the colours a bit more, and adding some grain/texture to the pencils so that the image looks less flat and more 3 dimensional. the words add interest to the photo so i would prefer to leave them in the image.

119550826.jpg

I thought your original picture was fine. I like it!

The only thing I would try to do is try to make the first, second and third rows the same height (but I might be slightly OCD so you can ignore this suggestion).

I prefer the original photo and also like the part where the 1 of the blue pencil is slanted. Wonder if it will bring more attention to it if it is shot with the blue pencil in the center row with slightly more slant. But what is done is done.

I personally feels that removing the numbers makes the picture boring with no information. Does not tell me a story. Looks better with the numbers to me. Sometimes things need not be perfect to look nice I guess.

cloning out all the other words except "buttercup" could be interesting as well. IMHO.

Very colorful... But except for the very colorful comment, I cannot find what you are trying to show with this photo. It seems like a normal abstract shot to me with some repeated pattern. Errr something like a image rather than a photo... I dunno if I use the right expression. :p
If you clone out everything except the buttercup wording, it will prevent viewer eyes from running around the image to find out what the photographer is trying to show. The picture itself will create this title in the viewer mind, "Buttercup Color". Photos are not just something that is nice looking, or not might as well photoshooters become CGI image maker :p.... PS if I typed something wrong

Last edited:
I personally think the rest are over-analysing the picture. It looks better before the cloning.

I like it. It feels right. Colours are not overly bright, and the words and text add character to the picture. If there's one problem I have, it's that it's not really proportionately framed as the lower third is 'thicker' than the upper third of the frame. Not a major issue though.

Generally, a decent picture. Not a jaw-dropping one, but definitely one that I would 'like' if it's posted on facebook haha.

I kinda like it. The characters are abit distracting. I would have zoom out though...

Status
Not open for further replies.