Specks of Dust/Dirt :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r00ki3

Aug 26, 2009
North-East Line
Hi all,

I just noticed that there were specks of dust/dirt in my pictures. This i only visible on this particular lens I use :(

DSC_4681_2_3.jpg

Could someone advice me how to clean my lens in a proper way? I use this lens more than the other lens I own :(

Dust on lenses doesn't normally show up. That looks more like sensor dust. Can you try another lens at f/22?

Dust on lenses doesn't normally show up. That looks more like sensor dust. Can you try another lens at f/22?

Oh no!!:( .. Ok I will see my other photos if it is visible..

Is it risky to clean the sensor on our own?..As much as possible I do not want to meddle with it's sensor. But I guess this is part and parcel of photography..

Do you clean the sensors often? I have yet to clean the sensors eversince I bought my camera about 3 months back :embrass:

Hihi, not to worry. I was like u when i got my camera also. Haha. yup, dun meddle with it. Go read ur manual, there is a fundtion for D80 to flip up the mirror. Once the mirror is up u shld be able to see the sensor, and get a blower to blow off the dust. DO NOT USE UR MOUTH TO BLOW. U shld know why. :) Unless u wan to wet ur sensor.

Hihi, not to worry. I was like u when i got my camera also. Haha. yup, dun meddle with it. Go read ur manual, there is a fundtion for D80 to flip up the mirror. Once the mirror is up u shld be able to see the sensor, and get a blower to blow off the dust. DO NOT USE UR MOUTH TO BLOW. U shld know why. :) Unless u wan to wet ur sensor.

Thanks bro :) I am reading all the infos i can find on cleaning the sensor. It's just that i'm too concerned about making the situation worse if i do it the wrong way. it's one of my baby now n must treat it with tender loving care :D

Thanks bro :) I am reading all the infos i can find on cleaning the sensor. It's just that i'm too concerned about making the situation worse if i do it the wrong way. it's one of my baby now n must treat it with tender loving care :D

Then bring it to Nikon Service Center and pay the service fee.

Then bring it to Nikon Service Center and pay the service fee.

That was one of the option I was seriously considering :). But I took it upon me to at least know the basic method of cleaning the sensor safely.
Well I managed to do it awhile ago..and now the specks have gone :sweat:

Had the same problem earlier..... i thought that it was the UV filter, had the filter replaced in Alan Photo. the guy there was so nice as he did replace the filter though he knows, based on my description, that its not the filter. he thought me that --- to know if you have dust, shoot in the sky with the highest f-stop in your lens, then zoom. great if its a clear blue sky (even with clouds) you could see the duskt specs even in your camera screen.

then i did what was instructed in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOdzpl534k

Had to review it again as i missed the part where it said to enable mirror lock up. the mirror that you see after removing the lens is just a mirror. not the sensor. for you to see the sensor, go to your camera settings, in my d40, go to menu - settings - mirror lock up. turn it on then press the shutter button. this should expose your sensor. CAUTION, make sure that you point your camera down while doing this as you dont want any more dust to go in. I used a balloon pump to blow air inside the sensor. do not use your own mouth to blow as your breath contains a lot of moisture and that will wet your sensor. i had to ask my son to hold the camera down (making him feel important) :). again make sure its pointed down. if you have a tripod, then better. i had to do this several times as the first few attempts of blowing only removed some dust particles and not all. i was about to loose hope and researched about a sensor pen to clean the sensor (there are a lot of topics here in clubsnap about sensor pen cleaner), and thought of bringing my camera to Nikon service center. but i tried a bit more, until i perspired pumping the balloon pump to my camera --- then it worked! you can also use any good foot pump. a number of professional suggests to use a cleaning bulb as those cleaning bulbs even have filters so dust will not come in and thus will not be blown to your camera. see a sample bulb in the youtube video i posted.

read a lot of article that touching the camera sensor is a bad idea if you are not sure. i would suggest, if blowing air to your sensor does not do the trick, dont gamble. bring it to a camera shop to have it cleaned.

hope this helps future readers and newbies!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.