Speck inside rear element of lens - how to test if it affects my photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingydongy

Jan 11, 2006
Hi all,

Have a newbie question to ask:

I noticed a speck of something (doesn't look like dust, more like a particle) inside the rear element of my tamron 18-270mm lens (the part that retracts during zooming).

I'm not sure if it affects my photos; have yet to test for that. What i understand is that dust/particles in the rear element will affect the photos taken as it is closer to the sensor.

Could you experts pls advise on how i can test to see if the particle is affecting my photos? I'm hoping i don't have to send the lens back to tamron for servicing..its only 1 month old!

Any of you guys have lenses with dust in the rear element but does not affect your photos?

Thanks in advance :)

You'll never see it in your pictures...

just test with a white piece of paper of clear sky and see if you can see any dots at all... but you may be seeing dust bunnies on your sensor instead if you shoot at small apertures.

Tks Michael for your advice.

I read from the net that dust in the rear element will cause loss in contrast, and areas of soft focus in the photo. Is this true? I do hope that the particle won't affect my photos; its really a pain to send it in for servicing (do they even cover dust under the warranty?)

Btw, what are dust bunnies?

One thing i tried is i took a photo of my wall (yellow colour) at f40...don't see any weird looking specks or anything out of the ordinary..

One thing i tried is i took a photo of my wall (yellow colour) at f40...don't see any weird looking specks or anything out of the ordinary..

so i guess that your sensor is nice and clean that you cannot find anything on your picture.. from my experience, dust particles on lens will not affect your images, unless they are 0.5cm x 0.5cm. then they will definitely affect the image.

dun worry too much about dust. i used to worry a devilishly lot in the past. then i realised, other then not feeling good about it, it doesnt affect any other thing...

Just did a final check on my lens...seems like the speck inside is a metallic particle of some sort...definitely not dust.

Took a photo of a white piece of paper at 270mm f40 and 18mm f22, did not see anything strange...

I think i should stop obsessing over this :) argh but it being a new lens (1+ mth only, used only a couple of times) i can't help feeling irritated.

my last worry is that the particle is in the rear element, and will harm the lens. Any of you guys had a similar experience? Do i need to send it in to Tamron? Or if doesn't affect photos, can ignore?

btw, i'm using the Tamron 18-270mm lens..

Just did a final check on my lens...seems like the speck inside is a metallic particle of some sort...definitely not dust.

Took a photo of a white piece of paper at 270mm f40 and 18mm f22, did not see anything strange...

I think i should stop obsessing over this :) argh but it being a new lens (1+ mth only, used only a couple of times) i can't help feeling irritated.

my last worry is that the particle is in the rear element, and will harm the lens. Any of you guys had a similar experience? Do i need to send it in to Tamron? Or if doesn't affect photos, can ignore?

btw, i'm using the Tamron 18-270mm lens..

just ignore it.. it doesn't affect the outcome of your picture.. overtime you'll see more and more dust in you lens :bsmilie:

Yeah, my lenses also have dust. Don't have to be too anal about it. It's very natural and doesn't really hurt your images one. Just enjoy shooting.

thanks bros! decided to stop thinking about it and shoot more! :)

Yeah rite. why think over it? Shoot more and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.