Specific Usage For Earphones - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhiliang

Dec 20, 2006
Serangoon
Hi,

I have been reading through the previous threads on earphones and i still need a little help over here.

Hoping to find a earphone with some of these characteristics (but dont know is it possible or not), and i really need some recommendations so that i can know what to try out at the shops:-

1. Price range : Not more than $250
2. Noise cancellation : Yes/No also can.
3. For classical music and jazz : clean, liquid smooth clarity with very good details
4. Occasional indulgence in pop music : very reasonable bass
5. Good soundstage

Thanks in advance. :)

Etymotic ER-6? Ordered mine from Amazon.com. Waiting for my bro's friend to help bring it back from the US. 1/2 price. :)

Just bought the Bose Triport IE for SGD179. It may not have any noise cancelling/isolation features but it just sounds soooooo good.
Etymotic6i I found a little too weak on the bass side and I'm not one of those people who like bass much. But the sound isolation works great. I use it on planes.

I just sold off my Westone UM2 and Xin SuperMacro III portable amp. Ahhhh the combo was freaking lovely. I'd recommend the UM2 but it's around 320 used (that's how much I sold mine for anyway). Try the UM1s? Around 160-170 in the US. Might be slightly higher here.

How about the Crossroad Mylarone earphones? Are they any good?

1. Price range : Not more than $250 - ER6i, less than $250
2. Noise cancellation : Yes/No also can. - ER6i, noise isolation.
3. For classical music and jazz : clean, liquid smooth clarity with very good details - ER6i, fits ur description
4. Occasional indulgence in pop music : very reasonable bass - ER6i can achieve a very reasonable bass but need some fine tuning when wearing it and dependant on tips used.
5. Good soundstage - UM2 and Super 5 pro but outta ur budget and headphones.

I have a pair of er4p/s are very good for classical music.

um2?

crossroads mylars ain't really suitable for classicals, i just tested it earlier =). i wouldn't recommand bose either. er6 seems suitable for ya but i would recommand you to head down to a shop and test out the different earphones and see which one you would prefer. it's still your ears. if you can't tell the difference, why pay the price difference? :)

i've used the e5, se530 and the triplefi and i feel that if you really want a good soundstage for an iem you will still need dual drivers, one for the mid/highs, the other for the bass drive.

you could probably look for a pair of used ones than buying a single drivered new though.

Anyone knows if there's such thing as wireless earphones? The only ones I've seen are wireless headphones.

Anyone knows if there's such thing as wireless earphones? The only ones I've seen are wireless headphones.

there are, i.e. etymotics etc but they are not tiny/small.. its a little bulky for something like that to hang out of your ear.

*to add, most of them resemble those blue tooth earpieces people use on their mobile phones to chat.

I suggest you go down to Stereo Electronics or Jaben to audition the earphones yourself. Taste is subjective. You may prefer the sound of a $50 earphone than a $200 one. It's really your own taste.

There's nowhere that'll let us 'test out' IEM's right? due to hygiene reasons..

jmmtn4aj - may I know why you sold off your UM2? I was considering getting this - but I can currently only base my choices on reviews and opinions.

My friend has UE Super fi 5, but I can not try... not clean! :O

There's nowhere that'll let us 'test out' IEM's right? due to hygiene reasons..

jmmtn4aj - may I know why you sold off your UM2? I was considering getting this - but I can currently only base my choices on reviews and opinions.

My friend has UE Super fi 5, but I can not try... not clean! :O
you can try out the UM1/2, and all other IEMs at jaben networks...

Hmm, I really wouldn't mind something like a bluetooth sized earphones. In fact, what I'm looking for is specifically something that can function LIKE a bluetooth handphone type earpiece.

The only thing about these normal bluetooth devices is that the sound quality is very bad, since they are build for talking rather than listening.

So I do a saerch for "etymotics"? Any other options?

there are, i.e. etymotics etc but they are not tiny/small.. its a little bulky for something like that to hang out of your ear.

*to add, most of them resemble those blue tooth earpieces people use on their mobile phones to chat.

Hmm, I really wouldn't mind something like a bluetooth sized earphones. In fact, what I'm looking for is specifically something that can function LIKE a bluetooth handphone type earpiece.

The only thing about these normal bluetooth devices is that the sound quality is very bad, since they are build for talking rather than listening.

not too sure abt other brands, i know creative/etys have BT earphones, you could goog it a little though

BT good meh? I dunno but etys are not the most comfy things around and to have that additional weight hanging from the ears, I rather use the normal 6i version. I ever tot of buying the Ety8 but this is the very reason why I din buy it.

Remember, this Ety8 features noise isolation and is an insert earphone. (Really insert into ur ears) Means that when not using, u likely to take it off and dare i say, u SURELY take it off because of the added weight, the discomfort of it and it really blocks out a fair bit of ambient noise. Of cause I have not use it before but u decide if the points I've raised make sense. I've used the ER4P/S and ER6i.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.aspx

Those interested in ER6i, its here:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

Hi,

I have been reading through the previous threads on earphones and i still need a little help over here.

Hoping to find a earphone with some of these characteristics (but dont know is it possible or not), and i really need some recommendations so that i can know what to try out at the shops:-

1. Price range : Not more than $250
2. Noise cancellation : Yes/No also can.
3. For classical music and jazz : clean, liquid smooth clarity with very good details
4. Occasional indulgence in pop music : very reasonable bass
5. Good soundstage

Thanks in advance. :)

Definitely check out M-Audio's IE-30s. They are fantastic sounding for the price. Shure is grossly overpriced. Etymotics are a little too bright sounding. Happy shopping. Make sure you get to test the sets before buying so that you know what kind of sound you are after. Sound is very objective.

Also, if you have the spare money, investing in a battery powered headphone amplifier can be very rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.