Specific question from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0419

Aug 10, 2008
Hi all,

Im sure everyone is very tired of answering p&S or DSLR and which model better for newbie without being specific. Therefore I will try my best to be as specific as possible and hope you can give me some advices.

Usage :
Holiday pictures mostly - landscape & abstract, but would also like to try out the fascinating world of digital photography.

Requirement :
As a start, P&S function must be good in day or night condition.
Also function to allow for gradual learning so as to appreciate this art more in its manual form.
Lastly, cannot be huge. Huge and heavy means better for most people, but for me, it must be something that when I hold in my hand I won't panic.

Considered so far :
P&S is compact :thumbsup: but no room for expansion. Have considered Ixus models but read that none has the quality of goods P&S like Fujiflim F31FD

Other option is compact DSLR. Models that I have contemplated includes Nikon D40x/D60 (small) as well as Canon 450D/E1000 or Olympus E500.

Personally, I prefer the Nikon's as they are smaller although many says they are very limiting. I doubt I will become professional any day.

Therefore based on the above, can anyone advise on whether a good P&S (which model since F31fd no longer available and 2nd hand ones have silly prices) or a entry level DSLR that allows me p&s plus more tweaking options (say D60)?

Thanks very much in advance!

something like the newly announced LX-3?

you can't get a more landscape orientated compact cam than the LX series, 16:9 ratio sensor plus 24mm eq wide angle.. its f/2.0-2.8 aperture also looks promising, hopefully its ISO performance buckles the trend for Panasonic.. lastly, manual controls and add on acessories..

hope this helps..

Limits?
Imaginations + never ending quest for learning = skills + no limits to photography...

I would first check out flickr groups; by the types of camera they used and the pictures they produced; and conclude. By the time you finish, if you ever finish analysing yourself, your eye balls come out already... remember to take 5-10 min eye exercise breaks. Good luck!

Try a bridge camera, like a Canon G9.

Try a bridge camera, like a Canon G9.

wow... price of G9 is in the region of D60, does it make sense? in terms of ease of use and photo effects?

wow... price of G9 is in the region of D60, does it make sense? in terms of ease of use and photo effects?

These are overlapping segments that not everyone have a straight answer.

G9 vs DSLR is more of features vs size especially using DSLR might need to have more than 1 lens to cover all the available focal length of the P&S.

considered getting a pro-sumer camera?
gives you the flexibility at the same time, gives you one less thing to worry about - lenses lol

I'd go with the entry level DSLR, especially since you've noted you're interested to get into digital photography. It'll be a costly investment though, but I think the process of learning, customizing, slowly building up your arsenal and seeing your skills improve will be worth the initial outlay and the higher maintenance involved in using DSLRs. :)

the reason to as why d60 is smaller than the d80 is because of its lack of built-in motor.
due to this lack of on board motor, the cheap primes like the 50mm f1.8 have to MF on the d60.
but the d60 got the rangefinder function to help you MF faster, used a tripod for better results.
getting lens that can AF on the d60 is of cos going to be a bit ex like the sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM which cost around 650 onwards or the tarmon 17-50 f2.8 DI-II which cost 620 onwards.

if you wanna spend less on lens, get a better body like d80 so that you can AF with cheap prime lens.

Last edited:
the reason to as why d60 is smaller than the d80 is because of its lack of built-in motor.
due to this lack of on board motor, the cheap primes like the 50mm f1.8 have to MF on the d60.
but the d60 got the rangefinder function to help you MF faster, used a tripod for better results.
getting lens that can AF on the d60 is of cos going to be a bit ex like the sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM which cost around 650 onwards or the tarmon 17-50 f2.8 DI-II which cost 620 onwards.

if you wanna spend less on lens, get a better body like d80 so that you can AF with cheap prime lens.

erm, if i dun intend to change lens in the near future.
will the existing lens on say a D60/D40 be enough or should I stick to G9 typish?

Hi all,

Im sure everyone is very tired of answering p&S or DSLR and which model better for newbie without being specific. Therefore I will try my best to be as specific as possible and hope you can give me some advices.

Usage :
Holiday pictures mostly - landscape & abstract, but would also like to try out the fascinating world of digital photography.

Requirement :
As a start, P&S function must be good in day or night condition.
Also function to allow for gradual learning so as to appreciate this art more in its manual form.
Lastly, cannot be huge. Huge and heavy means better for most people, but for me, it must be something that when I hold in my hand I won't panic.

Considered so far :
P&S is compact :thumbsup: but no room for expansion. Have considered Ixus models but read that none has the quality of goods P&S like Fujiflim F31FD

Other option is compact DSLR. Models that I have contemplated includes Nikon D40x/D60 (small) as well as Canon 450D/E1000 or Olympus E500.

Personally, I prefer the Nikon's as they are smaller although many says they are very limiting. I doubt I will become professional any day.

Therefore based on the above, can anyone advise on whether a good P&S (which model since F31fd no longer available and 2nd hand ones have silly prices) or a entry level DSLR that allows me p&s plus more tweaking options (say D60)?

Thanks very much in advance!

Olympus hass new model E420 & E520 and they are out already. Really small for a DSLR

may i just ask is there any difference between the 4 extra megapixel on the d40x versus the d40 if not developing big size prints? or is d40 good enough?

another question, Olympus E500 + F2.8 14-54 lens for $500 is a good deal?

Try Canon S5IS Not bad, You can learn a lot with the manual control. Well of course there is limitation compared to DSLR but overall quite ok.

Btw where do you get $500 for the Olympus?

I was like you when I have to decide a p&s compact camera and a DSLR previously.
Did some reading and research and finally decided to jump into DSLR. Since then, I have never looked back... though it is expensive to get all those L lenses, but the fun of playing with different combination (wide angle, telezoom, macro etc), you will have endless fun and opportunity to explore. The weight issue is no longer an issue - when one is willing, a tonne is just a mere 1000 kg. The reward of those nice, sharp, rich pictures you brought back is way above the heavy burden you have to bear.

okay im going to be xtra specific now.

if i have to get a 2nd hand dslr, which should i choose ?

Nikon D40 or Canon 350D?

In terms of ease of use and result.

thanks very much.

okay im going to be xtra specific now.

if i have to get a 2nd hand dslr, which should i choose ?

Nikon D40 or Canon 350D?

In terms of ease of use and result.

thanks very much.

Jpeg output straight from the D40/D40X/D60 quite crappy. Also very limiting in terms of lens. BTW have you check out the price of original Nikon lens ;)

If I were to get a Nikon, I'll get minimally the D200. Strongest negative point of the D200 is lack of some form of sensor cleaning. Otherwise great camera!

..... Olympus E500 + F2.8 14-54 lens for $500 is a good deal?

That Zuiko ZD 14-54/f2.8-3.5 is worth $500 by itself.

Won't comment on the E500. There is already the E510 and the E520 ...... personally I won't pay > $300 for the E500 ... just make sure you are not getting the 14-45 or the 14-42/f3.5-4.

$500 for both? Why not? Can easily sell off for $400 or even $500 if you not happy ...... :)

Jpeg output straight from the D40/D40X/D60 quite crappy. Also very limiting in terms of lens. BTW have you check out the price of original Nikon lens ;)

If I were to get a Nikon, I'll get minimally the D200. Strongest negative point of the D200 is lack of some form of sensor cleaning. Otherwise great camera!
crappy in wat sense? :dunno: i don see how jpg from d200 is much better than d40x/d60 as well

crappy in wat sense? :dunno: i don see how jpg from d200 is much better than d40x/d60 as well

Go shoot into a sunset or plain sky with nice gradation of blue. Then look at the jpeg output straight out of the camera of the sky or colours where there is supposed to be a smooth gradation.

At least the D200 can take more lenses; didn't say the jpeg output was better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.