Not open for further replies.

smtan24

Dec 21, 2005
Tampines
Saw on a bus the following slogan:

Impress
Inspire
Intoxicate :cheers:

I think they meant invigorate but than again who am I to judge.

lol ever heard a drunken talk? not very understandable

i feel that being able to speak multiple languages and dialects in a single sentence is much more impressive and inspiring

i feel that being able to speak multiple languages and dialects in a single sentence is much more impressive and inspiring

Being able to speak so that others can understand is the crux of communication.

Impress
Inspire

"... c) Make everday communication more engaging through the use of words that intoxicate..."
- Speech by Mr Goh Eck Kheng, Chairman, Speak Good English Movement, at the Media Briefing for the Speak Good English Movement 2009 (2009.08.24, 1030 hours).

:dunno:

There should be more afforts in promoting Rojak Language.

Let's hope that one day we can hear a Singaporean begins a sentence with German and ends it with French and in between is a mixture of Singlish, Hokkien, Mandarin, Japanese, Tamil, Mongolian, Spanish, Portugese etc. etc.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:

Sadly, this is Singapore, that microscopic little red dot that has to some how survive on the world stage. And yeah, that world stage is a real biaatccchhh, a dog-eat-dog world. When you have people from China struggling hard to speak good English and be heard properly, you know you can't sit still with an elegant stringing of multiple languages and dialects in a single sentence.

Impress
Inspire

A lot of people tend to make word choices that may not seem to make much sense relative to the context of the usage of such words, but their original intent may be sound.

After reading the excerpt of what Mr Goh Eck Kheng said, I think I get the gist of what he meant, but I would have to agree that it may not be the most effective word choice.

"... c) Make everday communication more engaging through the use of words that intoxicate..."
- Speech by Mr Goh Eck Kheng, Chairman, Speak Good English Movement, at the Media Briefing for the Speak Good English Movement 2009 (2009.08.24, 1030 hours).

:dunno:

Hmmm... maybe my command of the language is somewhat lacking... I cannot comprehend his exact intention in using the word 'intoxicate' here.

Maybe it has something to do with "Drink, Don't Speak"

remember Poison Ivy in Batman?
Her kisses and words can intoxicate you.

Make everyday communication more engaging through the use of words that intoxicate (excite or elate to the point of enthusiasm or frenzy)..."

Agreeable this is a wrong choice of word to excite people, but to boost self-ego. The user is trying to impress than inspire other to speak English.

This should be send to STOMP

Have you realise that the speak good english campaign is technically wrong. Shouldn't it be speak proper english. I know it's just syntactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.