Spain - need advice on what to bring

spingle

Aug 30, 2010
Hi,

I've read the thread about pickpockets in Spain and that's made me quite worried. I'll be visiting, Madrid, Barcelona and Valentia later this year. I plan to bring a D200 + 12-24 + 35 + 50 + 16-35 + 90 + flash + (small) tripod (but perhaps 2 lenses at most out for each day).

What's the best way to carry a camera when walking along the streets? Is it advisable to have it around my neck/shoulder or would it be safer in a bag (i have a flipside so the zip is behind)?

I've heard some stories but they seem to be complete opposites - some ppl have had no prob and everyone's carrying a DSLR but other ppl have been/almost been robbed. Could it be the places they visited (or just luck?)

Thanks in advance

Experiences from past trips:

1. When using a sling bag, sling it OVER your body, not like normally how we sling a bag.

2. When using a backpack, always keep it sight, try to wear it in front of you when possible. (To prevent the thief from cutting through or discreetly unzipping your bag .

3. Keep your gear in your bag when you are not shooting. Don't leave the hotel for a walk downstairs with just the camera.

There is a thread on Spain, have a look, plenty of tips there on this and we all shared our experiences there already.

Here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704293&highlight=barcelona

Cheers.
Hi,

I've read the thread about pickpockets in Spain and that's made me quite worried. I'll be visiting, Madrid, Barcelona and Valentia later this year. I plan to bring a D200 + 12-24 + 35 + 50 + 16-35 + 90 + flash + (small) tripod (but perhaps 2 lenses at most out for each day).

What's the best way to carry a camera when walking along the streets? Is it advisable to have it around my neck/shoulder or would it be safer in a bag (i have a flipside so the zip is behind)?

I've heard some stories but they seem to be complete opposites - some ppl have had no prob and everyone's carrying a DSLR but other ppl have been/almost been robbed. Could it be the places they visited (or just luck?)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
hmm okay thanks will take note.

you mean even holding the camera out of the bag will be risky? ive done this lots of times before in Bangkok and Shanghai and it was okay

Everywhere is risky - even in SG, it's just the degree and how you managed the risk...

Anyway, I find that Spain is pretty mild during winter season... but still...

My bag were always locked, never out of sight/reach, and I was on hype alert! Never done that before, and hopefully not again soon...

I lived in Barcelona for almost six months and travelled across Spain during that period. Barca and Madrid have pickpocketers but generally safe for DSLR users slinging around their neck or carrying on their shoulders. Seldom do I encounter snatch theft. What's important are your wallets and passports. Never place them in your backpockets. Zip all your bags as well.

Beware not of the Spaniards but of the immigrants (if you can identify).

I carried 2 bodies, fisheye lens, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, TC 20 plus an array of filters. I think that will cover the street shots as well as all the attractions. A 14-24mm would be nice if you can take it along

hmm okay im probably bringing what i mentioned above minus a 16-35 but an 18-200 instead and quite a few filters. hope to do some long exposure shots.

is it safer to sling my camera around my neck (and put in on restaurant tables etc) or keep putting it back in the bag after use (which would be quite inconvenient). i'd prefer not to sling the bag in front (it'll be quite tough on top of all the winter layers) but is that advisable? i'll probably use a carabiner (the kind with the screw) to hold the zips together.

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Be very careful while in the trains, especially those from the airports. I went there for 2 months at the end of last year. On my very first day, I was nearly pickpocketed when I took the train from the airport. That guy could talk to me while his hands digging through my girl's bag. It is so amazing. Luckily a fellow passenger alerted us. Otherwise my trip could have been a ruined, especially it is the 1st day of my long trip, with all the cash with us stolen

Hi,

Thanks in advance

I think a tele zoom is important, eg 70-200. I took a lot of nice pixs using that

me and a lady friend were there F&E stayed near the rowdy area near train station , that was 2 weeks ago... beautiful places (barcelona and madrid).

the locals advised me, keep the bag tightly next to u.. bring enough to go out, keep the rest with the hotel safe.. avoid dark alley, go to touristy places with loads of police and security..

i saw d3 and 24-70mm everywhere :lovegrin:

keep some loose change in your jeans front pocket. keep the rest at hotel safe. its gonna be very cold (it was 5'c last last week), so wear big coat, hide your waist pouch inside your shirt!

it is safe... dun worry, enjoy yourself :)

Last edited:
wow 5 deg? im only leaving early dec so i guess i'd better pack a few extra layers. and hopefully barca is better

thanks for all the advice really looking forward to it :)

wow 5 deg? im only leaving early dec so i guess i'd better pack a few extra layers. and hopefully barca is better

thanks for all the advice really looking forward to it :)

I went to spain twice, first time to Madrid, my bag got stolen with my passport inside, had quite a adventure getting a temp passport via consulate. Luckily without a DSLR then. Try to head to the fortified city of toledo...very nice.

2nd time is much better, visited Barca + Girona and Figueres. Girona is beautiful old town with nice rivers, try to head there and stay for a night if you have time, train ride away. the church bells does ring every hour even afer midnight :). Took only 2 lens then, 10-22 and 24-75. found that i used 10-22 quite a lot. Oh my wife almost got pickpocket on a train this round. Need to be alert.

Barca, Girona and Figueres sounds good.. hope i get to go Spain again, enjoy the outskirt beautiful scenery....

Barca, Girona and Figueres sounds good.. hope i get to go Spain again, enjoy the outskirt beautiful scenery....

Europe brings back memories, i travelled to spain, italy, greece, Malta, UK, Holland, France , portugal, Prage , Hungary over the past 10 years and wish to go back again as have not started photography till 4 years ago....what a pity that i missed all those shots especially Italy, need to save money.But hey i will be heading to New Zealand from tom for the next 2 weeks. :D

while in spain, Head to Monserrat and Stiges too. Sagranda Familia is a fabulous. full of works from gaudi in Barca even the lamp post. Figures, you will works by Dali although the melting clock is not there. Maybe can find it in france. Lots of beautiful pictures to take.

:) i will i will....starts putting gold coins into my piggy bank again..:sweatsm:

Europe brings back memories, i travelled to spain, italy, greece, Malta, UK, Holland, France , portugal, Prage , Hungary over the past 10 years and wish to go back again as have not started photography till 4 years ago....what a pity that i missed all those shots especially Italy, need to save money.But hey i will be heading to New Zealand from tom for the next 2 weeks. :D

while in spain, Head to Monserrat and Stiges too. Sagranda Familia is a fabulous. full of works from gaudi in Barca even the lamp post. Figures, you will works by Dali although the melting clock is not there. Maybe can find it in france. Lots of beautiful pictures to take.