Space constraint on hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
My laptop hard disk space is getting more constraint. I burnt a lot of videos previously on my laptop to about 4 CD-Rs (about 600mb each, which means i got rid of 2.4G off my hard disk). But strange enough, I could only get back abt 700mb of space back (right now my C drive is only 900mb left). I did a lot of clean ups on my hard disk but can't seems get back my 2GB ++ of space.

What should i do?

anyway i realised that a temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Temp) has about 5.25GB of files !!! ... are they important? Some of the files names are related to PhotoShop.

Pls advise, thanks!

West_ray said:
My laptop hard disk space is getting more constraint. I burnt a lot of videos previously on my laptop to about 4 CD-Rs (about 600mb each, which means i got rid of 2.4G off my hard disk). But strange enough, I could only get back abt 700mb of space back (right now my C drive is only 900mb left). I did a lot of clean ups on my hard disk but can't seems get back my 2GB ++ of space.

What should i do?

anyway i realised that a temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Temp) has about 5.25GB of files !!! ... are they important? Some of the files names are related to PhotoShop.

Pls advise, thanks!

my no computer expert, but i usually delete those files u mentioned. and those in the Temporary Internet Files folder as well. think the computer store these files for quick access to files and site when u reopen them. experts please verify :)

Anything that belongs in \temp normally are things I don't need, for me, I will delete all.

Try emptying your recycle bin also. Files deleted from system end up in there and takes up space also.

espn said:
Anything that belongs in \temp normally are things I don't need, for me, I will delete all.

Try emptying your recycle bin also. Files deleted from system end up in there and takes up space also.
but i scare later my system will become unstable after i empty C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Temp folder. Each Photoshop files in that folder can be as large as 280mb ...

anyway i'm uninstalling the PS now, and see whether it will solve the prob.

start -> run

type %temp%

delete all files inside.

*i take no responsibility for what happens to your system

West_ray said:

What should i do?

Pls advise, thanks!

err, i dunno if i going to give a stupid answer... but did you empty your recycle bin after you delete the videos?

Go Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup

This will clear all the temp files and folders.

I am in the IT line and this is something we do for all the PCs/laptops in the office. Even for my home PCs.

Cheers....

felixcat8888 said:
Go Start--> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup

This will clear all the temp files and folders.

I am in the IT line and this is something we do for all the PCs/laptops in the office. Even for my home PCs.

Cheers....
tks, but i did that many times. the prob still unsolved. the big chunk of files still lies in the mentioned folder ....

The temp files are probably the dumps of PS used to keep history, local settings\temp should be relatively safe to delete.

West_ray said:
but i scare later my system will become unstable after i empty C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Temp folder. Each Photoshop files in that folder can be as large as 280mb ...

anyway i'm uninstalling the PS now, and see whether it will solve the prob.

heh...let me ease your mind regarding that part. Photoshop uses a lot memory for graphic edit work. Photoshop allows you to have as much "UNDO" steps as you would need when you edit or create something so that you can back track your action steps when you made mistakes.

When you are working on graphic editing..your RAM runs out of space to store your work and other data types, it will start to use your HDD like "ram" (scratch disk function) to buffer all your files, buffer data..etc. It would be slower to access but it will be able to let you keep working on your creation. Photoshop will place all this temporary work datas in the Windows/Temp directory by default.

Usually, when you exit Photoshop, all those files, undo steps..etc that photoshop created would be erased and you hardly would notice them. BUT!...some time if you system hangs, some hiccup happens (which is not surprising) with Windows own background activities to managed the OS or just an indigestion with a third party software/application(Please don't start with the apple imac dodo versus PC) ..when this happens..it "forgets" to errase those Temp files from the TEMP folder when you exit PS. The next time you open PS, it does not use back that temp file it setup..instead it start a NEW one and ignore this one. Over time, if you don't check on this folder once in a while you will be surprised to go in one day and find dozens of this "PST..xxx" . Some as big as 1 gig or more...depending on how big a graphic file you are working on and number of undo action you are holding on to the job.

So...once you are finish with using PS and you have saved your work.,....just go delete all those files in the TEMP folder.

To be sure to erase any file you don't want the Recycle Bin to keep temporary, do what I do when I want to erase a file with the delete button. Selection the file or files you want to delete, hold down the SHIFT key and then press DELETE. The usual prompt will appear asking if you really want to confirm delete. Just click yes. Instead of keeping it in the recycle bin, it instantly delete it permanently. Of course you could set up recycle bin to automatically erase it each time you press delete. But I prefer to do it this was to avoid situations where I might regret the deletion or made an error and need to get the file back. So only when I need to delete things permanently, I will press the SHIFT key as well.

YOu can also configure how recycle bin manage your deleted stuff and limit how big a size it can be allocate keep deleted stuff before erasing them completely. The same goes for your IE too. You can limit the cache space so that over time it does not store up too many old stuff of sites you surf. Cache is good as it speed up loading time when you surf the same site often. Instead of downloading the same CLUBSNAP logo of the site to present it on your screen, it just take it ouf from the IE temp cache folders. Actually I set mine to a very small sie and I set it to erase it once I am out of IE. My logic is, in these day and age of using broadband, my modem is fast enough to keep pulling a fresh graphic or text...each time I visit the same site.

Hope this helps...I can relate to you in some way...I have one bad thing about me. I am rather anal about all this deletion of useless stuff even when I have two 80gig hdd and are usually only 20% used each! I will still track down all this stuff and delete. heheh,.

sammy888 said:
heh...let me ease your mind regarding that part. Photoshop uses a lot memory for graphic edit work. Photoshop allows you to have as much "UNDO" steps as you would need when you edit or create something so that you can back track your action steps when you made mistakes.

When you are working on graphic editing..your RAM runs out of space to store your work and other data types, it will start to use your HDD like "ram" (scratch disk function) to buffer all your files, buffer data..etc. It would be slower to access but it will be able to let you keep working on your creation. Photoshop will place all this temporary work datas in the Windows/Temp directory by default.

Usually, when you exit Photoshop, all those files, undo steps..etc that photoshop created would be erased and you hardly would notice them. BUT!...some time if you system hangs, some hiccup happens (which is not surprising) with Windows own background activities to managed the OS or just an indigestion with a third party software/application(Please don't start with the apple imac dodo versus PC) ..when this happens..it "forgets" to errase those Temp files from the TEMP folder when you exit PS. The next time you open PS, it does not use back that temp file it setup..instead it start a NEW one and ignore this one. Over time, if you don't check on this folder once in a while you will be surprised to go in one day and find dozens of this "PST..xxx" . Some as big as 1 gig or more...depending on how big a graphic file you are working on and number of undo action you are holding on to the job.

So...once you are finish with using PS and you have saved your work.,....just go delete all those files in the TEMP folder.

To be sure to erase any file you don't want the Recycle Bin to keep temporary, do what I do when I want to erase a file with the delete button. Selection the file or files you want to delete, hold down the SHIFT key and then press DELETE. The usual prompt will appear asking if you really want to confirm delete. Just click yes. Instead of keeping it in the recycle bin, it instantly delete it permanently. Of course you could set up recycle bin to automatically erase it each time you press delete. But I prefer to do it this was to avoid situations where I might regret the deletion or made an error and need to get the file back. So only when I need to delete things permanently, I will press the SHIFT key as well.

YOu can also configure how recycle bin manage your deleted stuff and limit how big a size it can be allocate keep deleted stuff before erasing them completely. The same goes for your IE too. You can limit the cache space so that over time it does not store up too many old stuff of sites you surf. Cache is good as it speed up loading time when you surf the same site often. Instead of downloading the same CLUBSNAP logo of the site to present it on your screen, it just take it ouf from the IE temp cache folders. Actually I set mine to a very small sie and I set it to erase it once I am out of IE. My logic is, in these day and age of using broadband, my modem is fast enough to keep pulling a fresh graphic or text...each time I visit the same site.

Hope this helps...I can relate to you in some way...I have one bad thing about me. I am rather anal about all this deletion of useless stuff even when I have two 80gig hdd and are usually only 20% used each! I will still track down all this stuff and delete. heheh,.
Spot on !!! Everytime i use PS, my system will restart itself due to lack of RAM. I just uninstall PS and Adobe Reader, and now i got 3.5GB space on my C drive. But the temp folder still store 4GB++. Right now i will do a system restore before emptying the temp folder.

Did you enable hibernation? Disable it if you don't use it. You can recover the amount of harddisk space equal to your RAM size. By the way, anything in the Temp folders (c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp) are save to delete. Don't worry.

West_ray said:
Spot on !!! Everytime i use PS, my system will restart itself due to lack of RAM. I just uninstall PS and Adobe Reader, and now i got 3.5GB space on my C drive. But the temp folder still store 4GB++. Right now i will do a system restore before emptying the temp folder.

Ah....this is another thing you can do to avoid a restart or PS from freezing up. The culprit is due to how you setup memory management in PS. Go to the setting portion of PS and adjust the RAM memory size that PS should only use. Set it up about 80%. If it still hang, set it to 75%...keep do that till it stop hanging or reboot out. I am not sure why this happen, I got this happening with my PS version 7. In my home PC I set it to 85% but my office PC I have to set it to 75%. This concern RAM. Once I do that PS is pretty stable and it start to work properly with the Temp files it create in the windows/Temp folder. Some how, PS and windows are bloody greedy with RAM and both will try to dominate as much of it as possible for it's own use thus..it screw up your PC and sometime all your work before you had the chance to save it when you least expect it. :)

You don't need to uninstall PS to reclaim back the space. PS itself is not that big. System restore will not put back those files in temp folder when you do a restore hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.