Southern Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience in shooting at the islands.
-How to get there?
-Stay overnight?

I'm thinking St John's, Lazarus & the Sisters. Maybe Kusu. I'd just thought it would be nice to shoot a beach without distracting tankers and oil refinerys at the background, and with clean beaches and clear waters.

Thanks.

foxtwo said:
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience in shooting at the islands.
-How to get there?
-Stay overnight?

I'm thinking St John's, Lazarus & the Sisters. Maybe Kusu. I'd just thought it would be nice to shoot a beach without distracting tankers and oil refinerys at the background, and with clean beaches and clear waters.

Thanks.

there's a public ferry to st johns and kusu island. it's a loop ferry, and it starts from sentosa ferry terminal. make sure you tell the pple at sentosa entrance that you're taking the ferry, or you'll pay extra.

the ferry ticket is 9/10, i'm not very sure.. it starts from the terminal to kusu to st johns back to kusu and then heads back to the ferry terminal at sentosa.. the trip to st johns takes about 2 hrs?

kusu island is a dead town to me.. unless you like to take temples and one lagoons.. however if you observe hard enough, near the ferry drop off/pick up point, you might spot some raptors/terns/swallows flying..

st johns is a good place to go shoot nature... you need to pluck up the courage and walk around.. you'll spot alot of nature, like lizards, snakes, birds.. there're 3 resident woodpeckers and collared kingfishers.. 1 hill myna.. many many koels..1 albino peacock and 1 normal peacock..and the occasional raptors soaring in the mornings and evenings.. if you're lucky, you can spot the lone owl on the island..

the back part of st johns is accessed thru the path between TMSI/AVA.. however there's nothing much to see there, cept for boats passing through...
the main excitement is at the front and the sides of st johns.. the water is clear here.. very nice.. do watch out for the coast guard boat.. if you find them practicing their parking.. you're not going to get a clean beach shot with a "no-boat" background...

lazarus is now joined to st johns island.. however, no one is allowed to walk over.. you could if you want to.. walk up the slope of lazarus and you'll come face to face with a HUGE family of kites and eagles soaring to their hearts content! not much beaches here.. just one big land mass of hills and trees..

you can't stay over at lazarus, only at st johns..there's a bungalow for 10/or the barrack-style camps for 60.. you could grab a tent, and pitch at the beach.. for tents, they say you'll need a permit.. but the people on the island don't seem to bother..

night shots are fantastic at lazarus.. the view of the city lights from the top of the hill is breath-taking.. however, pls get off the hill before 7.30-8pm, or you'll find a hard time navigating your way down.. st johns island is a dead town, cept for the students who might be staying over... view of the city lights might/might not be blocked...

sister's island, i'm not so sure on this.. but the people i know usually hire their own boat over.. it'll cost about 180.. it's been years since i've been there.. so i'm not sure about overnighting here or shots here.. sorry about that!

:)

enjoy yourself!

foxtwo said:
I'd just thought it would be nice to shoot a beach without distracting tankers and oil refinerys at the background, and with clean beaches and clear waters.

Hi,

Hundreds of ships pass by the area daily, just west of the islands are the refinery islands such as Bukom. This means that you have to shoot eastwards.

And there are no clear waters around Singapore or her islands.

Cheers!

UY79 said:
Hi,

Hundreds of ships pass by the area daily, just west of the islands are the refinery islands such as Bukom. This means that you have to shoot eastwards.

And there are no clear waters around Singapore or her islands.

Cheers!

yeah.. you're right! ;) but the route most ships usually take will be along the deep channel side.. i.e. on a side of kusu, behind lazarus and st john's..

clear water? don't compare to places like east coast lah.. IMHO and everyone else on st johns, water is already very clear on st johns already.. hee hee.. :)

s_wrx said:
clear water? don't compare to places like east coast lah.. IMHO and everyone else on st johns, water is already very clear on st johns already.. hee hee.. :)

Hi,

But compared to those crystal clear water elsewhere, I think it's still very far off. But it's amazing in Singapore to have refineries on the islands and coral reefs beneath it.

Cheers!

UY79 said:
Hi,

But compared to those crystal clear water elsewhere, I think it's still very far off. But it's amazing in Singapore to have refineries on the islands and coral reefs beneath it.

Cheers!

you're right.. :) heard from my mates that there used to be loads of reefs there.. now it's what's left of it... :cry:

Cool.. thx s_wrx. think I'll go over one of these days.

If you have a big enough group of people, can just hire a bumboat to any of the Southern islands. Remember to set a time with the uncle to pick you back up! If you camp overnight, you need to get a permit from the police, but not too sure whether you need if it's just a daytrip. Though there are toilets on Hantu and Sister's island, the water isn't potable, so bring your own water supply there. Hantu is very nice with a sheltered lagoon, good for swimming and beach games.

You will need a permit from Sentosa if you wanna 'officially' stay overnight at Sisters or Hantu. I got the contacts so PM me if anyone is interested.

hello,

for those of u who are interested to go to this extremely scenic, quiet, beautiful and luscious Island, i've some information which might be useful to u.

as was mentioned by s_wrx, the ferry starts from Sentosa Ferry Terminal. so, that makes it an entry into Sentosa first, (S$3 by bus from Harbour Front Bus Interchange) and alight at the Passenger Alighting Point in Sentosa. u'll be asked to pay for ur entry ticket into Sentosa at this point.

a check with the sales counter revealed that a boat trip to St.John Island costs S$9/. for Adult and S$6/. for Child. having bought the ticket, u'll be directed to take the monorail and alight after 1 stop at the Ferry Terminal Point. u can choose to walk to the Ferry Terminal Point too.

make sure that u're at least half an hour early(from ur targeted Ferry timeslot) when u reached the Passenger Alighting Point in Sentosa. this will give u ample time to buy ticket and wait for the monorail or even, to walk to the Ferry Terminal Point.

from Mondays to Saturdays, the boat ferries passengers on a round ferry trip from Sentosa to Kusu Island to St.John's Island and back to Kusu Island and finally back to Sentosa and the departure time from Sentosa are 10am and 1.30pm. the boat leaves on time!

the departure time from St.John's Island is at 11.15am and 2.45pm respectively. miss the last trip and u've got to wait till the next day's ferry.

for Sundays and Public Holidays, the boat ferries passengers from Sentosa to Kusu Island to St.John's Island and back to Sentosa.

the departure time from Sentosa Ferry Terminal are as followed(Sundays and Public Holidays):

1). 9am.
2). 11am.
3). 1pm.
4). 3pm.
5). 5pm.

the departure time from St.John's Island are as followed(sundays and Public Holidays):

1). 10.15am.
2). 12.15pm.
3). 2.15pm.
4). 4.15pm.
5). 6.15pm(LAST FERRY!)

keep ur time on check constantly when u're on St.John's Island. u will not want to miss the last ferry!

a final suggestion, bring alot of water, sun-block or sun-tanning lotions. bring some light snacks and sandwiches too!

the beaches are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ! the sea-water are clear! u can 'flaunt' ur body or choose to tan at the beach! not many people frequent this rather remote but beautiful island... so, that'll save some embarrassment for u! heh heh!

enjoy ur time at St.John's Island! remember to take only Photographs and leave only Footprints! :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
hello,

for those of u who are interested to go to this extremely scenic, quiet, beautiful and luscious Island, i've some information which might be useful to u.

as was mentioned by s_wrx, the ferry starts from Sentosa Ferry Terminal. so, that makes it an entry into Sentosa first, (S$3 by bus from Harbour Front Bus Interchange) and alight at the Passenger Alighting Point in Sentosa. u'll be asked to pay for ur entry ticket into Sentosa at this point.

a check with the sales counter revealed that a boat trip to St.John Island costs S$9/. for Adult and S$6/. for Child. having bought the ticket, u'll be directed to take the monorail and alight after 1 stop at the Ferry Terminal Point. u can choose to walk to the Ferry Terminal Point too.

make sure that u're at least half an hour early(from ur targeted Ferry timeslot) when u reached the Passenger Alighting Point in Sentosa. this will give u ample time to buy ticket and wait for the monorail or even, to walk to the Ferry Terminal Point.

from Mondays to Saturdays, the boat ferries passengers on a round ferry trip from Sentosa to Kusu Island to St.John's Island and back to Kusu Island and finally back to Sentosa and the departure time from Sentosa are 10am and 1.30pm. the boat leaves on time!

the departure time from St.John's Island is at 11.15am and 2.45pm respectively. miss the last trip and u've got to wait till the next day's ferry.

for Sundays and Public Holidays, the boat ferries passengers from Sentosa to Kusu Island to St.John's Island and back to Sentosa.

the departure time from Sentosa Ferry Terminal are as followed(Sundays and Public Holidays):

1). 9am.
2). 11am.
3). 1pm.
4). 3pm.
5). 5pm.

the departure time from St.John's Island are as followed(sundays and Public Holidays):

1). 10.15am.
2). 12.15pm.
3). 2.15pm.
4). 4.15pm.
5). 6.15pm(LAST FERRY!)

keep ur time on check constantly when u're on St.John's Island. u will not want to miss the last ferry!

a final suggestion, bring alot of water, sun-block or sun-tanning lotions. bring some light snacks and sandwiches too!

the beaches are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ! the sea-water are clear! u can 'flaunt' ur body or choose to tan at the beach! not many people frequent this rather remote but beautiful island... so, that'll save some embarrassment for u! heh heh!

enjoy ur time at St.John's Island! remember to take only Photographs and leave only Footprints! :thumbsup:
What Cheesecake mention is correct.

However, admission to Sentosa can be waived if you have a ticket for ferry to Kusu/St. John. Unfortunately, you can't buy tics on the bus, only at the island's entry points, i.e. causeway & arrival centre).

Alternatively, hire your own bumboat and explore the islands. The estimated rate is $50/hr which includes waiting time. Negotiate with the uncles at Clifford Pier or Pasir Panjang. I have contacts if you need.

Check out Sentosa website for more information on who to contact, ferry schedules are there.
http://www.sentosa.com.sg/explore_sentosa/explore_southern.htm

Do apply for the necessary permits if you plan to stay over night.

The BBQ pits on all the islands are free. I occassionally do lunch BBQ/Picnics on the islands.

Have fun.

Anyone is going to shot at the south island?
can I know when? :think: I feel like going. but not this weekend :D

well... since i got the info now, it's easier to get around to doing it. But yea, not this weekend for me too...

hi, juz wondering.. which would b a better venue for photo shoots... ubin or st john's?

Status
Not open for further replies.