South Korean PM resigns over Ferry Tragedy

There is a poor enforcement of safety regulations. Some one must be accounted for this. However, I am not sure why he must take the blame. Is he linked to ferry company in anyway?

This is not a normal case of minor blunder.
200+ people have died. Many of them young teenager students. Their angry parents want some one to be accountable.
Although the ferry captain and some crew would face murder charges, the South Korean public would not be satisfied.
Some South Korean government agencies in charge of approving alterations to shipping or maritime safety or daily ferry operations will come under fire.
For example, how can this ferry be allowed to exceed by more than 3 times, its allowed maximum cargo limit?
Why is no government representative supervising and controlling this?

The South Korean PM is largely a ceremonial post. The real power lies with the South Korean President.
He is doing it to protect the female president.
If he does not do it and take the full rap on behalf of everyone else in South Korean government, then eventually the public egged on by opposition politicians will demand the female president to step down.
Anyone can foresee this.
You can see it coming and so if you are the South Korean cabinet, what do you do about it.
It is simply an internal strategy for an all-round defence of the current female president and her cabinet.
Do not worry about him. He will be well taken care of after he steps down.

Last edited:
MH370 PM also need to do the same? haha! :think: :bsmilie:

After such a long time, it is clear there are no survivors.

The South Korean government has shown very poor leadership in not daring to order that the cranes start lifting the ferry.

It should not defer to mob rule or unreasonable demands of the students' parents.

Government must take a stand and say "This is the correct way and we must do this".

It is extremely hazardous, completely unnecessary and totally meaningless to make the divers risk their lives to go in to retrieve the dead bodies now.

Some more divers may die in the process.

After the ferry is lifted up, the remaining dead bodies can be retrieved.

Last edited:
MH370 PM also need to do the same? haha! :think: :bsmilie:

Korean ferry is confirmed sink, while no one knows for sure the fate of MH370. :think: Maybe that's why they keep the missing status, so no one have grounds to call for his resignation?

Korean ferry is confirmed sink, while no one knows for sure the fate of MH370. :think: Maybe that's why they keep the missing status, so no one have grounds to call for his resignation?

But someone need to be responsible for the plane missing. So, back to square one. Heh heh!

I thought someone pointed finger at Boeing already? :bsmilie:

Point and poke. Ha ha!

Anyway, disasters alway strike, can't blame anyone. If natural ones get involve, blame God?

Every time something happen, a minister needs to resign is also not solving the problem at its root. How much does the minister knows about the ferry operation?

When our train fails, the CEO gets chop and now people get use to it, CEO survive. Chopping don't solve problems but the ability to recognize problem and rectify it is more important. In my opinion, looking for scape goat is worst.

The ferry over there may have been running in this manner for donkey years. Nobody is questioning since it is cheap and working. Now something major happen, timely to put in place a higher standard procedures.

Our buses are overload and we accepted it. once upon a time we even have passengers standing on the steps. If tomorrow sometime major happen, do we blame the transport minister?

Minister's resignation is never meant to solve a problem directly. So is demanding a minister to resign.

I can only imagine that there are many reasons why a minister resigns.
- Feels that he/she is unable to fulfill his task, either due to his own problem or less conducive system he/she is working in
- Too embarrassed because of the recent incident. Granted it does not solve the problem, but the experience cost him/her psychological well being too much that might hamper his judgment in the future.
- Siam, before everything gets more out of hand, and ppl get more and more solid evidence of his/her incompetency. :bsmilie:

Anyway, we can only know what is his official reason, but might never know what's his real reason. I believe none among the list is meant to solve the problem directly.

Of course it's not really looking for the goat, but people by long shot, hope that the successor is the magic boy/girl who can solve everything.

Last edited:
Minister's resignation is never meant to solve a problem directly. So is demanding a minister to resign.

- Feels that he/she is unable to fulfill his task, either due to his own problem or less conducive system he/she is working in
- Too embarrassed because of the recent incident. Granted it does not solve the problem, but the experience cost him/her psychological well being too much that might hamper his judgment in the future.
- Siam, before everything gets more out of hand, and ppl get more and more solid evidence of his/her incompetency. :bsmilie:

Anyway, we can only know what is his official reason, but might never know what's his real reason. I believe none among the list is meant to solve the problem directly.

Of course it's not really looking for the goat, but people by long shot, hope that the successor is the magic boy/girl who can solve everything.

Nonsense. They are paid so ****ing much, and if they can't do the job right, then they ought to be fired. They want to claim to be the best, then they should be held up to the highest standards. Anything less would be a bloody insult to to the population.

Every time something happen, a minister needs to resign is also not solving the problem at its root. How much does the minister knows about the ferry operation?

That's why the next South Korean Prime Minister will be Mr. Kim Boh Arm a former ferry captain: :)

Seoul+Old+Buddist+Man+Blogg.JPG

you all think our PM will do that if one of our ferry sank like the manner of the south korean ship?

you all think our PM will do that if one of our ferry sank like the manner of the south korean ship?

"Things that should not hv happened, hv happened. We will do better next time"....will most probably be the response instead

Nonsense. They are paid so ****ing much, and if they can't do the job right, then they ought to be fired.

Well, although I was answering the question whether minister resigning solves anything, I believe this reflects the nonsense you are refering to:

The issue is, he is still v confident with his capability, hence we don't see his resignation. While elsewhere in the ferry sinking case the guy is more objective in rating his own capability. Hence he resigned before people fire him.

Btw, is the korean guy paid as much as ours?

Last edited:
Point and poke. Ha ha!

Anyway, disasters alway strike, can't blame anyone. If natural ones get involve, blame God?

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?67351-LKY-blamed-floods-in-SG-on-God
When you need to shift the blame you just do it. So far Singapore have been very successful at shifting blame to scapegoats and lower levels. Here, the higher you go, the less blame and many people here don't hold them accountable.