Soundproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwatch

Mar 18, 2002
-
Visit site
anybody knows where soundproofing services are available? that is to soundproof my room? or anywhere that sells soundproof windows? did a check on yahoo singapore but failed to find anything relevant.

thanks.

Originally posted by fastwatch
anybody knows where soundproofing services are available? that is to soundproof my room? or anywhere that sells soundproof windows? did a check on yahoo singapore but failed to find anything relevant.

thanks.

double glazed windows (i.e. 2 layers of glass) are pretty good at stopping sound.

well...if possible, i'ld just like to change the windows..that leaves me from having to shift all my stuff about to do the walls....

any idea where and how much it costs to install those windows for a 2-pane window area?

hehe..me thinking of doing something like that too...else my parents will complain when i listen to music late at nite

hmmm... are you doing soundproofing to reduce sounds coming into or going out of the room? hi-fi enthusiast? or you trying to reduce other types of human-made sounds? *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

For a really cheap and effective soundproofing, can tape egg carton boxes (the cardboard ones) on the walls and your door. Doesn't look nice at all but cheap, easy to get and you get to eat lots of eggs at the same time ;p

Otherwise, have to get professional soundproofing material installed - suggest you hop on over to the Adelphi to ask at the hi-fi dealers there, they will probably be able to advise you.

One other thing, (and I am assuming here) if you are staying in a HDB or private apartment, probably have to think about sound that travels upwards or downwards thru the concrete.

Originally posted by Darren
hmmm... are you doing soundproofing to reduce sounds coming into or going out of the room? hi-fi enthusiast? or you trying to reduce other types of human-made sounds? *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

For a really cheap and effective soundproofing, can tape egg carton boxes (the cardboard ones) on the walls and your door. Doesn't look nice at all but cheap, easy to get and you get to eat lots of eggs at the same time ;p

Otherwise, have to get professional soundproofing material installed - suggest you hop on over to the Adelphi to ask at the hi-fi dealers there, they will probably be able to advise you.

One other thing, (and I am assuming here) if you are staying in a HDB or private apartment, probably have to think about sound that travels upwards or downwards thru the concrete.

Contrary to popular belief, the egg crates does not soundproof the room. It only helps to deaden the room from undesirable internal reflections which is detrimental to the imaging and soundstaging of that hifi you have inside. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Contrary to popular belief, the egg crates does not soundproof the room. It only helps to deaden the room from undesirable internal reflections which is detrimental to the imaging and soundstaging of that hifi you have inside. :)

Regards
CK

oh really? :embrass: oh, well learn something new everyday ;p
can only afford one expensive hobby, you know.... ;) but used to dabble in hi-fi back in Uni days.

Regards
CK

It will be far more effective to simply line the walls and ceiling with thick mattresses. So you can have your own 'audio asylum' :angel:

Originally posted by erwinx

It will be far more effective to simply line the walls and ceiling with thick mattresses. So you can have your own 'audio asylum' :angel:

Right, provided your mum or other half doesn't complain of you doing that. ;)

Regards
CK

P.S. Time to update your hifi pages. It's so old now... :p

oh really? :embrass: oh, well learn something new everyday ;p
can only afford one expensive hobby, you know.... ;) but used to dabble in hi-fi back in Uni days.

Sell the camera equipment then get a nice hifi and speakers (forget Bose). At least your wife can enjoy it too. :D Best of all, it doesn't go obsolete like digital cameras....

Regards
CK

Sell the camera equipment then get a nice hifi and speakers (forget Bose). At least your wife can enjoy it too. :D Best of all, it doesn't go obsolete like digital cameras....
how about ... sell the wife and get hi-fi ... muahahahaha .... oooeerrr... better make sure she doesn't read this ....

well...a nice set of hifi equipment would be nice to have if i soundproofed my room....but it's actually to keep the external sounds from coming in....

how about ... sell the wife and get hi-fi ... muahahahaha .... oooeerrr... better make sure she doesn't read this ....

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

One trick you can use at home is to line the ceiling with a multi frequency trap. This is made by lining the ceiling with damping material (accoustic wadding works well) and then placing a row of bars just below the wadding on to which is looped thick felt or very heavy drapes (eg velvet) which is then dropped between the bars at differing lengths to create a random frequency trap.

I'd suggest you search the web a bit (there's tons of information) and look up 'accoustic engineers' in the phone book :)

To all those interested in room treatment, do beware of various esoteric brands that make ambitious claims about sound quality.

A few things to take note of, budget and level of sound proofing.
These 2 components are logarithically proportionate. meaning up to a certain threshold, it costs a bomb to improve insulation by a miniscule amount.

Do state your requirements in, room size, budget and types of music you would like to listen to.

note #2 : sound proofing does not improve the music in your room. Room treatment to control reverberation does. Always remember that the entire system (electronics, room and software) is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Another complimentary(free) service offered in the Banal talk section. : )

Originally posted by phero-man
To all those interested in room treatment, do beware of various esoteric brands that make ambitious claims about sound quality.

A few things to take note of, budget and level of sound proofing.
These 2 components are logarithically proportionate. meaning up to a certain threshold, it costs a bomb to improve insulation by a miniscule amount.

Do state your requirements in, room size, budget and types of music you would like to listen to.

note #2 : sound proofing does not improve the music in your room. Room treatment to control reverberation does. Always remember that the entire system (electronics, room and software) is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Another complimentary(free) service offered in the Banal talk section. : )

You do both soundproofing AND acoustic treatment, electrical conditioning, etc and you get music listening bliss. And you'll not go out to shoot anymore. ;p

Regards
CK

well I can stay indoors to shoot tubes... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.