Sound of the Shutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapO

Feb 18, 2008
Hey guys lately i have been going for some church camps. I was the photographer, and when everywhere else is filled with peace and serenity, my camera shutter disturbs it. Anyone has any idea how to soften the shutter noise. It goes off quite loud especially when in a enclosed room. How do I take pictures and not disturb the peacefulness around them.

Actually the loud sound is the mirror flipping up. In comparison the shutter is relatively quiet.

As for how to silence it...sorry...no idea.

I don't think there's a way to silence the shutter noise. Can disable the beeping, if you haven't already done so.

Honestly I think people won't get too irritated by the noise that much lar..

Use a PnS then....

else look for camera bodies which have soft shutter sounds, like the old Nikon D70.

Hey guys lately i have been going for some church camps. I was the photographer, and when everywhere else is filled with peace and serenity, my camera shutter disturbs it. Anyone has any idea how to soften the shutter noise. It goes off quite loud especially when in a enclosed room. How do I take pictures and not disturb the peacefulness around them.

change camera.

Use a PnS then....

else look for camera bodies which have soft shutter sounds, like the old Nikon D70.

IMO..i think Nikon bodies(dslr) shutter sounds louder..can try Canon(dslr)..not sure abt Sony/Olympus/Pentax..
if not, then a PnS/Prosumer is the way to go..

I recall that there was this case that is designed to muffle the sound of the mirror box flipping up and back down (the shutter sound). It looks awful... but might be what you need.

One example I found online :

http://www.soundblimp.com/what.htm

It costs about as much as the camera (depending on your camera) though. They did say silence is golden...

Another way is to use LiveView. Does your camera have a mode for contrast based AF and a "silent" shutter mode? It won't be perfect but it will be softer.

Oh, I just remember that the D40/x and D60 has a louder shutter noise than the D70/80/90. Just for your info.. ;p

Second the idea of using a point and shoot.. or even a rangefinder :bsmilie:

Ryan

since the post has nothing to do with nikon, thread moved.

and ... unless you are willing to blow a wad of dough on a Leica rangefinder or a blimp, live with the noise.

I just thought of a third alternative - get a longer lens that don't require you to be right in their face when you shoot.

I just thought of a third alternative - get a longer lens that don't require you to be right in their face when you shoot.

No diff... in an enclosed room, no matter where you stand, the sound is gonna travel

try waterproof enclosure and see if it can muffle the sound?

try waterproof enclosure and see if it can muffle the sound?

Do you know how much one costs for a DSLR? It is even more expensive than the camera body for some models

But at least he'll have a head start if they get irritated and want to beat him up..

Tat is one funny way to put it... :bsmilie:

Might as well, put him outside the room and make him shoot thru a window... :bsmilie:

But at least he'll have a head start if they get irritated and want to beat him up..

haha this is damn hilarious. haha. ok but i don't know why, i really like loud shutter sounds. you know like you compare revving a Lamborghini and a sedan car. like omg the sound of the lambo so oomph. lol

The best way is to use PnS. I've organised church camps before and I do let the DSLR photographers to be careful of the solemn times as you will never know who will get offended by your flash/sound or your non-compliance to be solemn.

Of course, I wasn't a DSLR user then. I advised them to 'off the sound in the camera settings' during such times. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.