SOS: Huge group photo taking session

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubric

Apr 14, 2002
Somewhere East
lubitelee.blogspot.com
Hi all. I'm supposed to take a photo of my colleagues early next week. There will be at least 150 people involved. What's a good place to take the photo? On steps, flat ground, indoors, outdoors, etc? What camera settings should I use with my DSLR (D70 + kit lens) to ensure that everything looks sharp? Raw? Is aperture priority of f8 enough? I'll be using a tripod and probably flash as well. Please help as I'm panicking and wondering if I should just say it can't be done and split them up into groups. :sweat: Thank you!

Hi Rubric

Hee hee 150 is a big group! Well definitely on slope or steps and yes definitely outdoors with bright sunlight. No way you gonna light all of them indoors with a flash...

You are using an external flash? No use...won't light up all of them, use the sun. Remember u must have the sun facing them hee heee if at the back then might as well don't shoot.

Shoot at highest setting, RAW if possible, f11 and above. Please remember if you are gonna blow up to sizes larger than A4, then the quality won't be that good. Also, try not to use in-camera processing, like sharpening. It will be very artificial when blown up.

Just my thoughts, hope these tips are helpful. Well, if you can split them to 2 groups even better.

Happy shooting, the best way to learn is to shoot. :)

One more thing...remember to bracket...

How about going to Botanical gardens? Should have some open spaces in the field for you to take photos.

I sincerely hope you quoted your company a small fee for the effort. Please don't unbalance the market by thinking once-twice don't matter.

Anyway f/8 is too little, go for f/16-22. Forget flash.

For indoors, using a single external flash will be a waste unless you have external lighting systems to back you up, e.g. hot flood lights or studio lights.

Even so, when I helped my hall to take a 100+ group photo, it took at least 30-40 minutes to arrange them before we could invite the GOHs to join us for the photo shoot. It will be a darn chaotic situation so you need people to help you do crowd control.

You'll need a pretty wide lens to capture such a big group; I guess at least 28mm or wider (35mm film eqv.). Considering your D70's 1.5x crop factor you'll need to stand back pretty much even at the wide end of your kit lens.

You also may consider elevating yourself on a platform to take the photo.

If outdoors, remember it's hot and the sun will cause your subjects to squint if it's too sunny.

18 x 1.5 = 27 FOV. Should be ok, anyway don't frame too tightly, just make sure there are ample space around the sides, if you aren't too sure what I meant, look at your POP photos for your army units and such...

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your input for this. I didn't realise there was already a similar post and I usually search the archives, but this time I was *really* too stressed out! I'll try to remember what you guys have said. Wish me luck! LOL

And don't forget to charge your company for your services! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.