Sorry for yet another FZ20 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkist

Jul 7, 2002
Newbies on FZ20. I understand it be wiser to get a adapter in long term run. But what the best thread if i do not have any TC/WC/Filter. Is it the 52mm adapter? Coz 52mm filter/TC/WC is cheaper?

I understand UV filter do come with thread size of 52mm? (correct mi if i am wrong). How abt TC/WC? so far on my read-up, the smaller is 55mm?

I am also worry if i to get a 52mm adpater and a 2X TC. I could not able to get a full 24X image.

Regarding adding lens/filter. Let say, i have a adapter (52mm). Then i add a UV filter (52mm) infront of the adapter. I can still add on something (which must be 52mm) infront of the UV filter? Is there a thread infront of the UV filter to attach TC/WC/another filter?

Thanks. And hopefully i could get my answer
w/best regards

There are 2 filters you might likely be using, the Polariser and the UV filter. There are others but it depend on what you need, the 2 mentioned are the common ones. There are many sizes for UV filters, 52mm, 55mm and 58mm are very common, only depending on availability. If using UV filter main purpose is to protect the lense. As the FZ20 wide side is only 36mm, a normal thickness UV filter will do (and cheaper easier to find). There is a front thread normally on these normal thickness UV Filters, so you can quickly addon the Polariser or Gradurated/Neutral Density filters as and when you need. The "Slim" version of these UV filters do not have a front thread, as the thickness do not allow it to do so. "Slim" versions are mainly to be used with super wide angle lense like the 16-35/2.8, where the normal ones might cause vignetting wide open at 16mm. Try to get those that are multi-coated, as they have better resistent to reduce flare (or use the lense hood provided but you cannot add filters you might want to use). I used Hoya and B+W filters, found that B+W is better quality and less problems with flogging and dust. a Multi-Coated 58mm B+W costs $58 last time I bought, a Hoyas one might cost only $20 but I think it is worth the money since you only have one to buy (I have 4 lenses for my SLR :confused: )

For TC, unless for wildlife, the 432mm focus length should be more than enough. Adding TC would add to the weight of the camera, sometimes (IMO) rendering the advantage of the FZ20 being light and compact. But if it is needed for the picture, by all means get one you need. I do not know which TC work best for your FZ20, but most TC should be able to allow a zoom of 6x-12x (before multiplying from the TC). Some even allows 2x-12x without vignetting. You might want to check out the DPreview forums to get to know which work best for your needs.

My advice is do not get an adapter until you know what TC you need (the multiplying factor of 1.5 or 2x etc), hence you will know the thread size needed to buy for your adapter and filters.

Oh, BTW do you happen to be "sunkist" on HWZ?

There is onli one sunkist in SG forums. So happen to be me. Thanks for carify my doubts. What ur nick in hwz.

I kinda of newbies in prosumer cam. Adding filter, TC/WC or even adapter sound so alien to me. If so happen, i getting a TC. i think i will get a 2X since it should be much better than 1.5X? I jus have this fz20. Still didnt buy anything like UV filter? It dun matter?

Can roughly tell me the price and where to get a 52mm adapter, 2X TC(52mm), 0.5WC(52mm), UV MC filter(52mm). If everything is available in 52mm, i will get a 52mm since it should be cheaper? correct me if i am wrong.

I do not understand that part when u say i could add a slim version of UV filter in front of the TC/WC? So TC/WC infront also have thread to screw extra filter/stuffs?

Oh anyway what is a "B + W" MC filter? B + W stand for black and white?
sorry.. i a noob...

so where and how much, and what thread to get? thanks. :)

If you are not using any third party adaptor right now, the UV filter you should get for the original adaptor is 72mm.

BTW, if you are going to buy a wcon or tcon, do not rush into it.... go to the shop with you cam, try it out and decide slowly... eg, not always 2x tcon will be better. Think for yourself, your FZ20 is already 12x zoom, unless you are doing bird shooting, a tcon will not be very useful at all for normal shooting.
You need a very steady hand to hold the cam with tcon on. I can't handle it, I need a tripod. JimDavis can. He got a very steady hands...

I have posted some test shots, please drop by to take a look, and judge for yourself... all photos are original from camera direct, no PS done.

Oh, and the price for 72mm UV is around $18 for normal cheap brand, and $20+ for HOYA UV.

I bought 58mm HOYA UV at $13...

Thanks. I think i will get a 72mm before i decide on anything else. Called Ms color. Quote hoya $25 dollar.
good buy? AP offer better?

tkp77 said:
If you are not using any third party adaptor right now, the UV filter you should get for the original adaptor is 72mm.

BTW, if you are going to buy a wcon or tcon, do not rush into it.... go to the shop with you cam, try it out and decide slowly... eg, not always 2x tcon will be better. Think for yourself, your FZ20 is already 12x zoom, unless you are doing bird shooting, a tcon will not be very useful at all for normal shooting.
You need a very steady hand to hold the cam with tcon on. I can't handle it, I need a tripod. JimDavis can. He got a very steady hands...

I have posted some test shots, please drop by to take a look, and judge for yourself... all photos are original from camera direct, no PS done.

Oh, and the price for 72mm UV is around $18 for normal cheap brand, and $20+ for HOYA UV.

I bought 58mm HOYA UV at $13...

????? :eek:

i bought my HOYA 72mm UV filter for $27.. at MS color...

u guy can get cheaper than me ??

wa lau...

yet i go all the way from tampines to amk ??

:angry:

k3nn3th03 said:
????? :eek:

i bought my HOYA 72mm UV filter for $27.. at MS color...

u guy can get cheaper than me ??

wa lau...

yet i go all the way from tampines to amk ??

:angry:

who ask you to ask for HOYA brand, got alot of other brand one mah, got tokina cosina and etc. If you are buying the HOYA one, might as well buy the one with HMC instead of the normal one coz when I buy the 58mm hoya HMC UV filter, its only about 6~7 buck difference but I got two HOYA HMC UV filter worth 25 bucks each free due to some sotong shop assistant who din bother to "make sure" that he has total the right sum for me :bsmilie:

Xpose said:
who ask you to ask for HOYA brand, got alot of other brand one mah, got tokina cosina and etc. If you are buying the HOYA one, might as well buy the one with HMC instead of the normal one coz when I buy the 58mm hoya HMC UV filter, its only about 6~7 buck difference but I got two HOYA HMC UV filter worth 25 bucks each free due to some sotong shop assistant who din bother to "make sure" that he has total the right sum for me :bsmilie:

Excuse me hor, what is HMC? Newbie here, paiseh.. :embrass:

And can you still use the Lumix casing after you fit the 72mm filter on?

sunkist said:
Thanks. I think i will get a 72mm before i decide on anything else. Called Ms color. Quote hoya $25 dollar.
good buy? AP offer better?

My advice: look around and plan properly. Check on the various sizes of filters (UV, CP, etc.), TCON and WCON lense thread size.

Once you have done that and know what exactly you are looking for,then plan if you want to get the 3rd party lense hood.

Of course, being new sometimes may be a little confused when there are so many different opinion and advice.

What I can suggest to you is to join our outings, get to know the people and their equipment and accessories, then you decide, that will be a wider choice, frankly. :)

ptred said:
Excuse me hor, what is HMC? Newbie here, paiseh.. :embrass:

And can you still use the Lumix casing after you fit the 72mm filter on?

the HMC one should be the multi coated type

Currently Im not using my 72mm UV. Look like its kinda wasted throwing it aside keeping in my dry box.

Mine is Single Layer. Konix Brand.

Interested? ;)

Try to msg you(josho) today. And wanna to ask u some techinical qns. U didnt bother to reply me :(. Anyway i bought my UV lens at MS @ $25 dollar.

When i went in and ask the price, the guy told me $35.. I am thinking "oh, my god!". Then i reply that i called and was enquiry at $25 flat. He give me $25 deal. Kinda of dissapointed loh, i mean the service. Sigh.

I got a Vitacon 72mm UV filter for $15 from AP sls, i suppose some of you guys who want a cheap one can check it out there.

josho said:
Currently Im not using my 72mm UV. Look like its kinda wasted throwing it aside keeping in my dry box.

Mine is Single Layer. Konix Brand.

Interested? ;)

Try to tell me about that...
I have 1 x 72mm, 1 x 62mm UV inside my drybox...
Not forgetting 1 x 72mm lens cover, and 1 x 62mm lens cover...

sunkist said:
Try to msg you(josho) today. And wanna to ask u some techinical qns. U didnt bother to reply me :(. Anyway i bought my UV lens at MS @ $25 dollar.

When i went in and ask the price, the guy told me $35.. I am thinking "oh, my god!". Then i reply that i called and was enquiry at $25 flat. He give me $25 deal. Kinda of dissapointed loh, i mean the service. Sigh.

U got msg me??? THru where?? I never receive anithing

tkp77 said:
Try to tell me about that...
I have 1 x 72mm, 1 x 62mm UV inside my drybox...
Not forgetting 1 x 72mm lens cover, and 1 x 62mm lens cover...

You can either sell them away, or give them away.

No point putting them in your drybox to collect dusts...outside the drybox I mean. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

can i know the price of a 72mm len cap? thanks/

Status
Not open for further replies.