SonyA7m3 with Godox A200

teokf

Apr 24, 2012
Tawau, Sabah
Hi folks. I am a hobbyist. I do not make a living from photography. I mostly shoot street portraits with ambient light. If you are interested below is the link to my photos. https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/street-portraits.1693831
Once in a while friends would ask me to shoot their family portraits or church ministries/work. All pro bono. I am looking into a wireless system of two flash. One for front/side and one for background lightning and the odd moments of outdoor shoot that has to deal with bright sunlight.
I am thinking of the above. So the price range is about there. Anyone has tried the above or has any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

Since you are using A7mk3 it's useful to read the link provided regarding hotshoe flash and trigger below you.(nissen flash).

Hotshoe flash AD200 system is not cheap and although it's marketed as powerful flash in reality it may be useful in general but to really overpower the sun it's not powerful enough.If you want a battery powered one you need 600w so AD600pro is the one to get.It's tripod mounted but it's advantage is you can add different light modifiers like umbrellas or softbox for better lighting control.It has good reviews and compete favourably with profoto equivalent.Get 2 so u have backup overall the cost is attractive.

Reactions: teokf
Since you are using A7mk3 it's useful to read the link provided regarding hotshoe flash and trigger below you.(nissen flash).

Hotshoe flash AD200 system is not cheap and although it's marketed as powerful flash in reality it may be useful in general but to really overpower the sun it's not powerful enough.If you want a battery powered one you need 600w so AD600pro is the one to get.It's tripod mounted but it's advantage is you can add different light modifiers like umbrellas or softbox for better lighting control.It has good reviews and compete favourably with profoto equivalent.Get 2 so u have backup overall the cost is attractive.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Godox AD200 is quite a nice starter set (you might have noticed already that it's not a hotshoe flash system). Thinking of it as well.
For outside situations with strong sun I would recommend using a reflector first to brighten up shadows. Also, take note of the potentially different color temperature of sunlight and flash light if you use both in parallel. You might need additional gels here or spend more time in editing.

Reactions: teokf
The Godox AD200 is quite a nice starter set (you might have noticed already that it's not a hotshoe flash system). Thinking of it as well.
For outside situations with strong sun I would recommend using a reflector first to brighten up shadows. Also, take note of the potentially different color temperature of sunlight and flash light if you use both in parallel. You might need additional gels here or spend more time in editing.

Thank you for the pointer about the different colour temperature. I did not know that. Any recommendation of which coloured gel to use in such situation?

Are you asking for a brand or a specific color? Brands are nearly irrelevant, you can get those color gels off eBay or Lazada for a few bucks with loads of color gels, like that: https://www.lazada.sg/-i200933798-s301847365.html (I am not affiliated to that seller, the link only serves as example.)
The color get you will need will depend on the actual light situation. An extreme example is sunset: the light is very warm, I had results of about 4300K. Standard flash has about 5600K, so you will need something orange to bring the flash light to the same level to blend in.
Use a white card or grey card to take measurements, then use a gel that serves your purpose.
Again, I think you are better off with a 90cm reflector.

Are you asking for a brand or a specific color? Brands are nearly irrelevant, you can get those color gels off eBay or Lazada for a few bucks with loads of color gels, like that: https://www.lazada.sg/-i200933798-s301847365.html (I am not affiliated to that seller, the link only serves as example.)
Again, I think you are better off with a 90cm reflector.

You read my mind. I was asking about the colour gels not the brand. Thanks.
Looks like you have a vast knowledge of using flash. I also came across the AD600BM which is a manual flash. Comparing the price, it is not much different. Will that be a better option than AD200?

AD600BM is a better option if you need more flash power and if you will never need TTL (which is typical for most studio setups).
If you compare AD200 and AD600, then the AD200 is a small step up from speedlights (ETTL capable, same reflector mount, small and flexible, just 500g), whereas the AD600 is meant for studio and fixed setups (weight is 2.6kg, it even has an AC adapter). Take note that all all your reflectors need have the Bowen S mount.
Personally, and for my hobby, I wouldn't want to lug around a 2.6kg studio light.

AD600BM is a better option if you need more flash power and if you will never need TTL (which is typical for most studio setups).
If you compare AD200 and AD600, then the AD200 is a small step up from speedlights (ETTL capable, same reflector mount, small and flexible, just 500g), whereas the AD600 is meant for studio and fixed setups (weight is 2.6kg, it even has an AC adapter). Take note that all all your reflectors need have the Bowen S mount.
Personally, and for my hobby, I wouldn't want to lug around a 2.6kg studio light.
Thank you for your help in clarifying the issues. My only flash experience was for my macro shoots. that I shot in manual. Macro photography was what got me into photography. Along the journey found out I enjoy street portraits and no need to carry another item, that was the speedlight. So, this short chat has been a great help in my learning process. Very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Glad you got your points clarified, happy shooting :)