Sony Vaio or Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfstan

May 31, 2005
Earth
hi folks, looking for some quick advices before buying.

currently desktop going kaput soon thus looking for a laptop with docking station so to provide mobility possibility. thus looking at either sony vaio (TZ or SZ series) or apple laptop.

any comments or anyone can link me any comparison others have done on Vaio and Apple laptop. greatly appreciated.

oh btw, usage is some photo-shop, internet, music, and maybe games as well.

i am a apple user to
but you said you want to play games i would recommend the sony because not many games out for mac. but everything else i wld go for the mac tho
i love it ;)

Sony TZ all the way. I ordered one from the USA (MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper!!!!!) and it comes with a great nVidia chip for gaming as well as a blu-ray reader/writer!!

Sony TZ all the way. I ordered one from the USA (MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper!!!!!) and it comes with a great nVidia chip for gaming as well as a blu-ray reader/writer!!
lol. TZ doesnt come wif nvidia nor bluray, i think urs is another model :)

nevertheless, TZ rox... (but not for heavy usage :))

Apple as I love its fast boot up - even after months of usage. :thumbsup:

actually, i feel it's neither.

unless you really like apple's OSX, else i think apple isn't a good choice at all. It's heavy at least. the lightest Macbook is like what, 2.1kg? insane for a 13.3" notebook!

Sony stuff are overpriced. but if you could get it cheap, those ultra portables are quite nice to look at actually.

Panasonic's Toughbook line of notebooks look REALLY interesting. take a look at that. some models even comes with 10 hour battery life!

actually, i feel notebooks should be lightweight. so weight should be the topmost piority. what's the point of buying a heavy notebook and you dont bring it out? might as well buy a desktop (which is wayyyyy cheaper these days)

=)

ya sony locally is over-priced. saw a sony laptop (TZ form factor, 1.2kg) for like S$2k in Shanghai.

Acutally I always think that the light notebooks from Sony is REALLY good. Good screen, LIGHT, long battery life. Apple laptops on the other hand.... pretty sucks. Apple know it and there are a LOT of rumors that they will be releasing an ultra light version in Macworld this coming January.

I just got a Sony SZ for $2400
2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, less than 4 pounds, 160gb hard drive.
13.3 inch
I was deciding whether to get a mac too but in the end went for a sony because of the size and weight.
I just need to change it to Windows XP now....

a few years back i had a vaio...wife had a mac, wife convinced me that for creative work mac is the way to go, and she was right. think you need to look at it this way...would you rather have a pc or a mac? yeah, pc's can be made with a whole lot of bells and whistles, but i think overall, and in the long-run you will be more satisfied with a mac. plus, the new macs, you can run pc applications so that might help your decision.

good luck

it's the same for all Sony products... you pay a premium for the tag S.O.N.Y on your appliances.

already got iMac thus looking for a pc system instead. also considering thinkpad (or lenovo now). argh...more choices. better limit those choices, else headache. maybe wait till sitiex for good deals.

get the system tt let u make most money, or otherwise any sort of satisfaction u can derive out of it :D

When you order from USA, there will be difference in voltage right?
How to use it in Singapore?

already got iMac thus looking for a pc system instead. also considering thinkpad (or lenovo now). argh...more choices. better limit those choices, else headache. maybe wait till sitiex for good deals.

Hi, do have a thinkpad X60s and used for more than a year. Comes with docking station. Very light and durable. Never have system breakdown since bought. For editing photos, should be ok by increasing the RAM. For games, never used it for game. :)

lol. TZ doesnt come wif nvidia nor bluray, i think urs is another model :)

nevertheless, TZ rox... (but not for heavy usage :))

That's what I get for posting at 2am... I got the FZ, not TZ.

Same story though. I saved about 40% by getting it in the states. Even had a higher-resolution screen.

for laptop I thought usually the adaptor can take 110-240V. Nowadays almost EVERY electrical appliance with an AC adaptor can take 110-240V :)

Errr, you're thinking of traditional, 1995-era PSU units. All laptop chargers are "international" now, supporting 100-240V, 50-60Hz.

FYI: The model I got was the FZ28G. 4700 SGD in Singapore, about 2970 SGD incl. shipping, GST, etc from the USA. I'm picking it up from the post office this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.