Sony RX100 Mark III

I was looking at the mk3 to accompany my A7r and A6000..
Ultimately i went for the mk2 instead.
It's a pity they took away the hotshoe on the mk3 to make space for the EVF. I would take the hotshoe over the evf. That's ultimately why i went for the mk2.
90% of the photos i take are with external flash(s). Very rarely do i ever do a shoot without external lights these days..and no, i didn't buy the mk2 just as a daily carry around camera, i was also planning to use it for proper shoots as well just to see how it performs.
the biggest surprise i got from it? The flash sync speed works up to 1/2000! I tested it with all my lights and yes it does work up to 1/2000!
Oher than the RX2, no other Sony's can do this..my A7r/a6000 only goes up to 1/200. I can't wait to do some HSS with the mk2 and a couple of strobes

Instead of the RX-100, I went for the Panasonic LX-100 instead. The panasonic menu makes me confused but I think it's a great companion too.

Yea, the lx100 is indeed a good camera..but its not pocketable enough. I wanted something I could put in my pocket

Personally I prefer a viewfinder than a hotshoe. The value proposition for the RX100 series is compactness. A hotshoe will defeat that but good to have if they can add it in without space penalty. The viewfinder on the other hand is much more useful and gives the camera a retro feel but more importantly allows for a clear and better view in bright sunlight, etc. Those with longsightedness will also appreciate it too as the viewfinder compensates for it. If a hotshoe is required, I think the A5000 and A6000 series would be the best solution. Wonderful all-purpose cameras. (I've owned a few versions of the NEX5, a NEX 6 and now an A6000)
Right now I have an RX100 Mk1 which is a damn nice camera to bring along on trips. Only drawback is lack of bokeh in most situatons. Intending to upgrade to a Mk3 when the opportunity arises as I want to have the viewfinder. :)

Yea, i guess different people have different requirements. That's why they put the EVF in the mk3..more people ask for it.
I used to think i needed an EVF when i moved from the Canon 5Dmk3, but not long after i started using the screen to shoot, i can say these days, 90% of the time, i don't even use the EVF on my A7r nor my A6000. I prefer to use the screen.
I however, use the hotshot 90% of the time (except when i travel). Day or night, all my portraits are done with external lighting, and the reason i wanted to buy an rx was to push the limits of what a pocket camera can do. I did an entire series with my mobile phone but it can't do external lights so i hit the limits pretty quickly..my next project is to push the rx camera..and with a 1/2000 flash sync speed on the mk2, i can already imagine what i can do with it..
So yea, that is why i prefered the hotshoe over the evf..i wished the mk3 had both, but i don't see any space left for it :)

Personally I prefer a viewfinder than a hotshoe. The value proposition for the RX100 series is compactness. A hotshoe will defeat that but good to have if they can add it in without space penalty. The viewfinder on the other hand is much more useful and gives the camera a retro feel but more importantly allows for a clear and better view in bright sunlight, etc. Those with longsightedness will also appreciate it too as the viewfinder compensates for it. If a hotshoe is required, I think the A5000 and A6000 series would be the best solution. Wonderful all-purpose cameras. (I've owned a few versions of the NEX5, a NEX 6 and now an A6000)
Right now I have an RX100 Mk1 which is a damn nice camera to bring along on trips. Only drawback is lack of bokeh in most situatons. Intending to upgrade to a Mk3 when the opportunity arises as I want to have the viewfinder. :)

Yea, i guess different people have different requirements. That's why they put the EVF in the mk3..more people ask for it.
I used to think i needed an EVF when i moved from the Canon 5Dmk3, but not long after i started using the screen to shoot, i can say these days, 90% of the time, i don't even use the EVF on my A7r nor my A6000. I prefer to use the screen.
I however, use the hotshot 90% of the time (except when i travel). Day or night, all my portraits are done with external lighting, and the reason i wanted to buy an rx was to push the limits of what a pocket camera can do. I did an entire series with my mobile phone but it can't do external lights so i hit the limits pretty quickly..my next project is to push the rx camera..and with a 1/2000 flash sync speed on the mk2, i can already imagine what i can do with it..
So yea, that is why i prefered the hotshoe over the evf..i wished the mk3 had both, but i don't see any space left for it :)

No prob bro. Good to see the Mk2 suits your purpose :)
Getting longsighted myself, that is why I changed from a NEX5 to a NEX6 so I can use the viewfinder. Pity the A6000 one is a step backward from the NEX6..:(
But be patient. The next Mk4 may meet both our requirements ! heh heh

Anyone knows the market price for the mk3 currently? Sorry for intruding as most shops are closed for now.

If you ask around shops in Funan, you will be able to get the mk3 for 96x cash. Sony is selling officially 1099.

This rx100iii looks cool. Looking for a pocket size cam but in dilemma as its cost ard 1k. Its the rx100iii iq better than the lx5.

Looks like quite good deal for Mar? Free gifts - 16gb card and ACC-TRDCX kit, i read online the kit is a usb battery charger case and battery.

cool, which shop having the best offer now?

cool, which shop having the best offer now?

The 2 cheapest shops i enquired are M* C*lor and T*Fo*o :) One in AMK and another in Funan..the one in Funan has more freebies i believe..go ask them..

The 2 cheapest shops i enquired are M* C*lor and T*Fo*o :) One in AMK and another in Funan..the one in Funan has more freebies i believe..go ask them..

96x? Anyone know what extra freebies in Funan? The Sony standard gifts list the 16gb card and ACC-TRDCX kit. I planning go Holland V Parisilk later as on the way back from work.

96x? Anyone know what extra freebies in Funan? The Sony standard gifts list the 16gb card and ACC-TRDCX kit. I planning go Holland V Parisilk later as on the way back from work.

I believe there will be screen protector and handstrap from T* F*t*

In today"s papers RRP seems to have dropped to $999 which means street price can be lower than $900 if you forgo all the free gift?

Hi,
Just got my MK2 at a reasonable good price. Freebies include extra battery, travel charger and 16GB SD class10 card.
PM me if you wanna know the price and shop.

Reasonable as in 69x? That's the last price I got

Anyone checked the prices for the Mk 3 recently? Was previously around S$9xx. Probably will grab second-hand one if it falls below $700 although so far most people trying to sell close to new price. I don't expect a brand new one price to fall very drastically until the Mk 4 is released. :)
If anyone do come across any rice drop, do let us know. Thanks..

In Funan now and just checked the prices for the Mk3. $950 with only 16gb card or $970 with card and extra Sony batt and charger. The latter deal more worth it. All no case but some include additional separate accessories.

I am curious. For those who upgraded from Mark1 to Mark 3, apart from the extra features, do you perceive any improvement in the picture quality?
Regards