Sony RX100 IV filter adapter and filter

cdinckol

May 26, 2008
Hi, can someone advise where to find a (not overpriced) filter adapter ring for RX100 IV and step up ring 52-58mm. Iknow there are plenty on Ali Exp but those won't reach me in time.
thx

We get posts like this once in awhile..photography is an expensive hobby. People don't complain what big companies charge for their cameras and lenses because
we want them but when it comes to accessories then people perceive them to be low tech or other so expect low prices.Then again it's the eco system or market
demand. Yes prices on Aliexpress is "lower" but these sellers don't operate brick and mortar shops where business owners pay what the landlords demand in terms
of rental. That said it's the reality, buy low sell high..how else does one make a profit to keep business viable?

I will offer a solution anyhow if one does not want to be overcharged, hold whatever filter over the lens and shoot. In the meantime buy from aliexpress. :)

Time is money, if you are short on one you will have to spend on the other. Simple as that.
Local photography shops have their range of step up rings for 5-10 bucks. Just drop by and get it.
For the adapter ring you will need to define for which filter system you need it.

Thanks for the reply guys. Sorry if my post came like I'm cheapo and sure I will pay money not peanuts. I would like to start a discussion on the brick and mortar topic but probably not the right place. But I don't appreciate a judgement on what I see as low tech or not ...

Thanks Octarine. I've searched high and low but couldn't find any offers on filter adapter etc. I still have a CPL from my Fuji XT1 58mm and two Haida ND filters 3 + 10 stop 82mm, I already have step up rings from 58 to 82mm. I was thinking to reuse them. The RX100 iV is still on the way. I found only one offer on Lazada for a step up 52-58mm (9 bucks which is more than fine). I say 52 because the majority of filter adapters I saw on the net are designed for 52mm filters. Also google didn't reveal any offers in SG. So rather that I have found any "overpriced" stuff I didn't actually find any offer and the adapter. On the sale forum people are selling as a set their adapters - understandably.

Help me to understand what adapter you need. Did you decide which filter system you want to use? There are several slot in filter systems in use, Cokin uses letters, Haida and others use the size in Millimeters to define series (75, 100, 150). Adapter rings for the filter holders vary between the different filter lines.
For all of them you can get cheaper knock-offs from China.
For screw-in filters you don't need any adapter, just the step-up rings to match the largest diameter of your filters.
In the long run I would suggest you have a look at the slot-in types. Especially if you need to use more than one filter (e.g. ND+CPL, ND and GND, several ND's) the slot type is a better solution, although more bulky.

To reuse your existing filters yes you need to get stepup ring from 52-58mm as the adapter has 52mm thread but strange that your set start at 58mm when others start much smaller like 36,37 or even 49mm. So essentially you would form a cone shape barrel when all rings are used for 82mm filter. It might be usable at 200mm
for RX100 mk.4 but I wonder if there is significant vignetting at the wide end. It acts as a lens hood though.

Are you aware that from Mk.3 onwards RX100 has 3 levels of ND filter built in for stills and video? Although I don't know if it's real ones or a clever use of electronic shutter that goes to 1/32000 sec. of which the use has issue with image quality (bokeh) as reported on the A7 which actually has to do with the postion of the electronic shutter in relation to image sensor, a physical reality.

I did some reseach on this topic when getting my compact so just sharing what I gathered but I did not get the Sony RX100 series nor the filter adapter in the end so just a keyboard warrior

The Sony RX100 series does not have a filter thread so an adapter is needed to give it one. This one is what many people on the internet discuss about (probably the 'overpriced' one):
https://lensmateonline.com/products...ick-change-adapter-kit-52mm?variant=998641683

The lensmate solution is more elegant as you stick a bayonet mount onto the lens (which is thinner than the filter adapter), then attach the filter adapter as and when needed onto the bayonet mount. The cheaper solution pointed out by thread starter on Aliexpress is just the filter adapter stuck onto Sony RX100 with adhesive

Do note that these solutions are just adhesive, so may not be able to support heavier filter systems like the slot in filters. Hopefully it is still strong enough to hold your 82mm 10-stop Haida filter

I have not gone to the camera shops for some time so not sure if they carry the Lensmate adapter or other ones, but I guess you might have better luck at the camera accessory shops at Peninsular Shopping Centre and around.

Or you can just try to stick a 49-52 or 52-52 step ring, or even the 52-58mm step ring on the front of RX100

Or just hold the filter in front of the lens as suggested, which is what I'm doing as well :)

Like this Octarine, since the RX100 series don't allow filters an adapter is required which is attached with an adhesive, then on this adapter filters can be attached

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LA-...650.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.5fc22e0eDvaUlK
Ah, that explains your question, thank you. With this type you need to find out what the maximum load is before the adhesive gives way. A single filter is ok, but the moment you use slot in systems the load gets bigger at the front.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, looks like I need to do physical scouting. Thanks for reminding Peninsula, since Funan’s gone I tend to forget that place. And good point if the “adhesive” solution would be strong enough for bigger filters, shmaybe YouTube has something.