ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
ZYFRONT-LG.JPG

ZYLEFT-LG.JPG

1ef71007d1d473561511d068be60daaf.jpeg

The Sony QX30 is a camera module meant for use with smartphones.

You will need to download a Sony PlayMemories Mobile App for the QX30 and smartphone to pair up via wifi which is simple enough to do

Range when paired is approximately 6-8m

When an image is shot, a JPEG will automatically be saved into the smartphone while the full resolution image will be saved on the QX30 ..... which accepts a MICRO SD card

Specs are as follows from Sony's website

Catch every part of the action in stunning clarity with 30x optical zoom from the Sony G Lens
Experience all the quality of a high-end camera with its 20.4MP Exmor™ R CMOS sensor
Track fast-moving subjects accurately with lock-on AF, so no detail can escape your frame
Shoot smoother, zero camera shake movies with ease with Optical Steadyshot
Capture sensationally beautiful images on the move in amazingly clear Full HD movies
See every detail with the BIONZ X image processor that reproduces textures and details faithfully in real time

Sensor Type 1/2.3 type (7.82mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor
Number of gross pixels Approx. 21.1 mega pixels
Number of effective pixels Approx. 20.4 mega pixels

Lens Type Sony G, 11 elements in 10 groups (including 5 aspheric elements)
F-number (Maximum Aperture) F3.5 (W) - 6.3 (T)
Iris Diaphragm 5 blades

Focal Length (f = ) f=4.3-129mm

35mm format equivalent (Still Image3:2) f=25-750mm
35mm format equivalent (Still Image4:3) f=24-720mm
35mm format equivalent (Still Image16:9) f=26-780mm
35mm format equivalent (Still Image1:1) f=28.5-855mm
35mm format equivalent (Movie16:9) f=26.5-1080mm

Focus Range (from the front of the lens) iAuto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm to Infinity, T: Approx. 200cm to Infinity)/ Program Auto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm to Infinity, T: Approx. 200cm to Infinity)

Optical Zoom 30x

Imaging Processor yes (BIONZ X)
SteadyShot Optical
Optical SteadyShot Active Mode (for Movie) Yes (Optical type with electronic compensation)
Focus Mode Single-shot AF, Touch AF
Focus Area Multi Point AF
Light Metering Mode Multi Pattern
Exposure Compensation +/- 2.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
Exposure Control Yes
ISO Sensitivity (Still Image) ISO80-3200(iAuto), ISO80-12800 *3 (Superior Auto), Auto/80/100/200/400/800/1600/3200(Program Auto), Auto/80/100/200/400/800/1600/3200(Aperture Priority), Auto/80/100/200/400/800/1600/3200(Shutter Priority) *2
ISO Sensitivity (Movie) Auto: (ISO80-1000 level)
Minimum Illumination(Movie) Auto: 10lux (Shutter Speed 1/15)
White Balance Mode Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluor.: Cool White, Fluor.: Day White, Fluor.: Daylight, Incandescent
Shutter Speed iAuto (1/1600 - 4)/ Program Auto (1/1600 - 1)/ Aperture Priority (1/1600 - 8)/ Shutter Priority (1/1600 - 30) *4
Aperture iAuto(F3.5-F6.3(W))/ Program Auto(F3.5-F6.3(W) )/ Aperture Priority(F3.5-F8.0(W))/ Shutter Priority(F3.5-F6.3(W))
Image Control Quality(Fine/ Standard)
Dynamic Range Functions Dynamic Range Optimizer
Shooting Mode Superior Auto, Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Movie Mode
Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (Maximum number of recoded pixels) Approx. 10 fps (for up to 10 shots) *5
Self-Timer 10sec./ 2sec.
Drive modes Single/Continuous shooting
Number of Recognized Scene Still Image: (Superior Auto 44, Intelligent Auto 33), Movie: 44

I have for a very long time been very skeptical of the capabilities of super zoom lenses and the QX30 is a sub-US$400 piece of equipment so I had my doubts from Day 1 .

I packed it along to the French Alps for a week-long ski trip. Now I have been humbled

a. although it will not replace fast and better featured and resolving dedicated telephoto lenses ... it has proven to be a life-saver in a pinch when tele reach is required
b. it works with a smartphone attached (via a smartphone clamp at the back of the module) or operated with the smartphone held in a seperate hand
c. it is so small and light ..... AND AFFORDABLE.... that just getting one to throw into a small pouch is a very simpe and affordable thing to do
d. image quality although nowhere near dedicated long zooms and primes, is TONs and LOADS superior to smartphone image sensors
e. it is easy to operate
f. at 720mm end of the zoom range, it MUST be mounted on a tripod (a table top tripod will be enough, it comes with a screw mount for tripods )

Last edited:
The French Alps between 1900 and 3000+m above sea level are a sight to behold when it begins to snow

The QX30 came in handy with its 24mm to 720mm super-zoom range giving very decent resolution

at 24mm
scene5.jpg

zooming in (cant recall how much)
scene5c.jpg

Max zoom at 720mm .... same scene
scene5a.jpg

Outside my balcony at 24mm
note carefully that bright little area above town
scene4b.jpg

zoomed in to max and near-max 720mm ..... images cropped a little top and bottom to get rid of dark areas
scene4a.jpg

scene4.jpg

scene4c.jpg

About the same scene from the night scene at 24mm
scene3a.jpg

Zoomed in..... can you find his scene within the 24mm scene above ?
scene3c.jpg

scene3b.jpg

scene3.jpg

at 40 or 50mm
scene21.jpg

same scene at 720mm
scene2a.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 24mm
scene1a.jpg

at 720mm
scene11.jpg

Last edited:
there is one thing where i think the QX30 can be improved.... being round in shape, its very hard to get a level shot as orientation on where the 'top' and 'bottom' of the camera is resulting in many tilted images like this below

scene_twisted_slanted.jpg

I fixed this when i got home by attaching a tripod base plate to keep the orientation honest

Nice sights! The zoom range is :thumbsup: I did a double-take when I read 30x optical zoom.

How's the battery life on this little guy?

Battery capacity is 2.3wh (630mAh)

I charged it fully once and used it lightly for a week (less than 200 images) without recharging .... without a LCD screen and menu template that sucks a battery juice it should last longer than a regular digital cam

Last edited:
The Sony app is quite easy to use with loads of functions and you DO need to operate the settings on your smartphone because the Qx30 only has on/off button and zoom switch

Functions on the Sony app include
Shutter button
Photo/video
Zoom
ISO
WB adjust
Shutter Speed
Aperture settings
EV +\~
and others like size of images saved etc etc

Especially at 720mm tele end you don't want to touch the QX30 .... Just compose and leave it alone working with the smartphone detached from the unit

You can also choose focussing points anywhere on the screen

Last edited:
Battery for the QX30
a_battery.jpg

The QX30's SSID and Password are located beneath the battery cover (see below)
a_ssid.jpg

A few PMs have arrived asking if the lens is interchangeable. No its not. Its a fixed zoom from 24-720mm

The similar concept module WITH a Sony E (NEX)mount is the QX1 which will be able to accept Sony lenses and will be reviewed seperately

The QX30 with the camera attachment
aa_seperately.jpg

The smartphone attachment when mounted onto the QX30
aa_phone_clip.jpg

The whole outfit if you wish to attach your smartphone to the QX30
No wires to hook up between the QX30 and the smartphone as connection is via WIFI , so you can use the set up ATTACHED like this below OR DETACHED within 5m between the QX30 and your smartphone
aa_attached_to_phone.jpg

GOOD!!!

Hope there there is one for Nikon Or Lumix Lens (which I have)